New toy: Stevens Favorite .32 Long

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

New toy: Stevens Favorite .32 Long

Post by RSY »

The guy I've hunted with for years presented me with a little gift last weekend. He trades this sort of stuff frequently but hung on to this one because of 1) the color case-hardened receiver, 2) half-octagon barrel, and 3) the flip-up front and rear sights.

Unfortunately, the rear sight has a broken elevation adjustment mechanism. You can see below that at some point the thumbwheel used for adjustment was sheared off. Anyone know where I could scrounge up another? I imagine the wheel and the threaded shaft are one piece.

Also, the lever is loose and falls open when the hammer is cocked. Any advice on how to tighten this up?

Of course, ammo is scarce and it's about $2.50 per pull of the trigger. Nonetheless, still a cool little piece...it just won't be shot that often. :mrgreen:

Best,
Scott
Last edited by RSY on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New toy: Stevens Favorite .32 Long

Post by walks with gun »

Sweet, sweet rifle.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Try gun parts, jack first, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Might be a job for a machinist.
As for tightening it up, I suspect some worn surfaces. What exactly I don't know without taking it apart. Is it repairable? Dunno...
Great gift for sure!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool little rifles.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

saw some ammo for your new shooter yesterday at the show....and your are right.....$$$
I was looking for 38RF short....125 bucks a sealed box
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice rifle. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

GunnyMack wrote:Try gun parts, jack first, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Right. Problem is, I'm not sure who made the sight. I need to figure out if it was factory or after-market before I can even start to look for it. :?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice toy, Scott - it looks like the action parts are worn, most likely the action pins, which can either be replaced (try Wisner's Obsolete Parts: http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/stevens ... 1894-1915/ ) or simply rotated to present a new bearing surface.

The lever is not supposed to drop free until the shooter pulls down on the action lever.
The lever is held up by the action linkage pushing the breechblock up and forward into the rear face of the barrel (see below, about barrel fit).
After the breechblock makes contact the lever should lift another 1/4" to1/8" and snap up against the bottom of the frame firmly as the linkage cams over beyond center.

The reason the hammer on your gun affects the action latching is that there is a tang on the action link between the lever and the breechblock that pushes the hammer back out of the "fired" position onto the "safe" position when you start to drop the action lever.
It sort of works in reverse in that the friction of the hammer against the link helps keep the action in the locked position.
When you pull back the hammer, you remove this friction and the worn linkage won't keep the action closed.

Many of these older guns have enough wear that the lever isn't firmly "spring-loaded" against the frame, but will stay in contact on their own.

Yours sounds like it has more wear.

Also check the takedown screw to make sure that it is pulling the barrel back tight against the receiver. The screw has a tapered end that fits a taper in the bottom of the barrel extension.

About the rear sight - since that rear sight doesn't match up with any Stevens rear barrel sights I know of (or that I can find in Stevens catalogs from 1898-1930), I would suggest taking the entire sight to a good machinist or real gunsmith, so they can make a replacement adjustment screw/knob.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Have you thought about just putting a tang sight on it? Can you do a CF conversion so you can shoot something like 32 S&W Long? I don't know much about the internals of these rifles. Maybe a locking spring or latch is broken or weakened? neat rifle. Might be worth some work to get it shooting
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Nice reply Pete. I never would have thought of the pins. I would try this first and tighten her up before spending money on sights
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice gift. :mrgreen: Great info Pete! Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I think Frank de Haas' book on single shot rifles and actions may have a lever-tightening fix for Favorites. I'll look and report back if it does.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Thanks for all the input and info, amigos.

I could probably live with the sight as-is. Last weekend I decided to use the aperture for longer shots and the open space beneath as kind of a ghost-ring for closer shots. Actually worked out pretty well. Of course, that's no reason not to spend time and money gong down a rabbit hole looking for a replacement or making a new one. That's what we do, right? :wink:

Scott
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I shoot a lot of 32 long and 32 H&R. Reload and you can shoot at almost the cost of 22 ammo.
The brass last a long time and the my load uses 3 grains of powder, 7000 grains per pound, so a pound of powder last a long time.

One of those is on the list. When I find old single shot guns in 32 rimfire to convert to 32 long, the bore is in terrible shape.

Very Nice find!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

BenT wrote:I shoot a lot of 32 long and 32 H&R. Reload and you can shoot at almost the cost of 22 ammo.
The brass last a long time and the my load uses 3 grains of powder, 7000 grains per pound, so a pound of powder last a long time.

One of those is on the list. When I find old single shot guns in 32 rimfire to convert to 32 long, the bore is in terrible shape.

Very Nice find!
Thanks.

Are you using this kit from the UK for reloading that uses starter gun blanks as primers in their custom brass? Their site says black powder must be used. I was hoping for a smokeless solution.

http://www.hc-collection.com/full-kit-3 ... c2x2382408
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Mike Armstrong wrote:I think Frank de Haas' book on single shot rifles and actions may have a lever-tightening fix for Favorites. I'll look and report back if it does.
That would be great. Much appreciated.

Most sources point to the pins being worn as the cause.