Ford bringing back Bronco, Ranger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Ford bringing back Bronco, Ranger

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Be interesting to see what these new rigs look like.
I owned two Rangers and the Mazda version and liked them by and large. Suspension was a little waddly, but the fours with manual tranny were dependable and got good mileage.
If they are built as well as my 2016 F-150, I'd be interested.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ford bringing back Bronco, Ranger

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Be interesting to see what these new rigs look like.
I owned two Rangers and the Mazda version and liked them by an large. Suspension was a little waddly, but the fours with manual tranny were dependable and got good mileage.
I've had a couple Rangers. An 83, and 2009, both V6....Great trucks. Just too small for me.
(Have you had any trouble with the door locks on your F150? Evidently, there's a defect, and sometimes they won't unlock. Ford won't recall because not safety related, but they will fix all of them if you ask.)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote:
I owned two Rangers and the Mazda version and liked them by an large. Suspension was a little waddly, but the fours with manual tranny were dependable and got good mileage.
I've had a couple Rangers. An 83, and 2009, both V6....Great trucks. Just too small for me.
(Have you had any trouble with the door locks on your F150? Evidently, there's a defect, and sometimes they won't unlock. Ford won't recall because not safety related, but they will fix all of them if you ask.)

Same prob. with the Rangers here. Seats won't go back far enough. Looking forward to seeing what the Bronco looks like. I haven't had any issues with the door locks on my '16 F-150 so far. Love that truck!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Same prob. with the Rangers here. Seats won't go back far enough. Looking forward to seeing what the Bronco looks like. I haven't had any issues with the door locks on my '16 F-150 so far. Love that truck!

jb 8)
I agonized over the EcoDiesel Ram/EcoBoost F-150.........Either would have been great. I got the EcoDiesel. Better mpgs, and the torque is Yuuuuge. I'd cruise at 90 in a couple states where you could. Just as steady as a Caddy, and 26 mpg......29-30 mpg if I stuck to <70.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Had a Ranger back in 2001. Good truck, but too small for my needs. So I got an F250 crew cab, long bed. Too big. Looking at F150's now.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm getting 21 mpg or a little better with the 5.0 on the highway, doubt I'll ever do a 6 cyl in a full size truck again. Too many issues with past vehicles.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have been thinking of the eco diesel, trading in my 08 Jeep on one. But do I really need another pick up?
I'm NOT giving up my 07 Quad cab 8' bed 2500 Ram, just love my 5.9 cummins way too much! 25 mpg on the highway with 12-1500 lbs load.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Still got my 72 Bronco! :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote:I have been thinking of the eco diesel, trading in my 08 Jeep on one. But do I really need another pick up?
I'm NOT giving up my 07 Quad cab 8' bed 2500 Ram, just love my 5.9 cummins way too much! 25 mpg on the highway with 12-1500 lbs load.
You're doing much better than the new ones.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, no issues with my F-150. It's the 2.7 EcoBoost Extended Cab with about 8,000 miles on it. Taking it easy on a drive to the coast, I can get 23 mpg, but mixed and around town more like 18. A little disappointed as I am not a lead foot. Have not towed my boat with it yet.
I looked hard at the EcoDiesel but after hanging out on the ED forum it seemed there were endless problems and frustrations.
The truck I would go to next is the 2018 Nissan Frontier Navarre with the new small Cummins. I am 5'9" and 168 so the mid-size trucks work fine for me. Drove a Frontier Crewcab from 2010 until last March. It was a flawless rig.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Blaine, no issues with my F-150. It's the 2.7 EcoBoost Extended Cab with about 8,000 miles on it. Taking it easy on a drive to the coast, I can get 23 mpg, but mixed and around town more like 18. A little disappointed as I am not a lead foot. Have not towed my boat with it yet.
I looked hard at the EcoDiesel but after hanging out on the ED forum it seemed there were endless problems and frustrations.
The truck I would go to next is the 2018 Nissan Frontier Navarre with the new small Cummins. I am 5'9" and 168 so the mid-size trucks work fine for me. Drove a Frontier Crewcab from 2010 until last March. It was a flawless rig.
The Jeep Cherokee has been using that engine for more than 15 years. No problems. If you could point me to the links of endless problems, I'd be glad to look at them. It's only been about a year and a half and 23,000 miles, but I'm tickled pink.
Ram HAS had some problems with their electric stuff.....so far, so good. Ditto on their older trannys, but these new 8 speeds seem pretty solid. I'll dump it like a red-haired stepchild if it starts to dump on me. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My 2WD '98 Ranger Step-side, bought new in Feb 1998, is still taking a licking and still keeping on ticking these 19 years later.

The 1998 I bought had the (slightly) larger cab (but not big enough for rear side windows), and a high-performance I-4 that has 2 sparkplugs per cylinder.(plenty peppy, plenty of power)

It still has the OEM exhaust system & clutch :o , with zero rust (mostly because I undercoated EVERYTHING the day I bought it).

I broke a rear spring hanger (replaced it), and the steering idler arm (also replaced) & changed the oil/filter every 2500 miles, religiously.

After 120,000 miles, it's on it's 3rd battery, 2nd set of sneakers, 3rd set of brake pads, and 2nd set of wheel bearings.

IMO, it's the ideal outdoorsman/sportsman sport car....... ;)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, it is this one that I was a member of for more than a year:

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram- ... iscussion/

Maybe they have a handle on the issues and QC. A friend has one and absolutely loves his.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Remains to be seen...

Bronco not out till 2020? and Ranger at 2019?

Guessing Ford will drop the Explorer since they're both same size.

And Bronco will be mid-size, not the old style large war wagon.

I'll take a good look at the Ranger. I'm on a 2012 F-150 right now, but something smaller and handier would be nice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

We discussed this nearly a year ago: New Ford Bronco Concept
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I will not give up my 2003 Powerstroke F 350 until the thing dies.
It's only got 200000 miles on it....but if that bronco does make back....
My wife may have to trade her escape in :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I will not give up my 2003 Powerstroke F 350 until the thing dies.
It's only got 200000 miles on it....but if that bronco does make back....
My wife may have to trade her escape in :lol:
Yep, my 99 Powerstroke is at 150K and I'm not getting rid of anytime soon. However, the wife's ecoboost Escape is such a sleeper sportscar I don't think I'd get rid of it either.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

My 2002 f250 7.3 has 348000 still runs like new wouldn't get rid of it for a new one.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Jeep is bringing back
their pick up and dropping a couple other losers. Latter part of '17. Prolly won't buy one of those either (along w/Ford, chevy, GMC)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Dropping the Ranger pickup was one of Ford's biggest mistakes. One of the best selling trucks Ford ever offered, and the 4 cylinder version was one of the finest little pickups ever made. I've never been a Ford guy, but always admired how good the Ranger was, and how many were still on the road with nearly 300,000 trouble free miles on them! Looking forward to seeing what the new Ranger looks like, and what engine options it will have!
Until a couple weeks ago, we didn't own any "real Fords". Even my old '63 Falcon was powered by a big block Chevy. But we gave our daughter the wife's old Mazda, and bought the wife a Ford Fusion SE. It was a tough sell for me, as years of bad mouthing Fords made her anti Ford too. But she absolutely loves it more than any car she's owned previously.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

A mid sized Ranger pickup with the Ecoboost engines and styling from the Explorer would be a big seller. I was lamenting Fords discontinuation of the Ranger as we were driving our Ecoboost Escape home from TX last month.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Got a '94 Mazda B3000 long bed standard cab with 330k plus miles still going good. :?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, at the time I bought my first Ranger, I had had pre-Tacoma Toyotas and was surprised how much more solid the Ranger felt, and how much more comfortable the seats were for me.
I also thought it was a mistake for Ford to abandon the segment.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I owned two Rangers and the Mazda version and liked them by and large. Suspension was a little waddly, but the fours with manual tranny were dependable and got good mileage.
I totally agree. If mine hadn't blown a head gasket I'd still have it. Was just under 200K when it blew and the body and tranny were solid. Really too bad.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Lots of us don't need a behemoth, just a little bed that we can get a LOT dirty!