Bowstrings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Bowstrings

Post by cnjarvis »

I've decided after a long hiatus, that I want to start shooting my bow again but since the strings and control cables are about 12 y.o., I thought it would be a good idea to replace them before doing mush shooting.

Unfortunately, bowstrings and cables seem to be made with gold thread these days with the two prices I've gotten locally are $130 and $150 installed.

Is there an online vendor I can get the string/cables less expensively than the $80-$100 I'm seeing here?
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: Bowstrings

Post by rossim92 »

look online for bowstring makers in md. Bowhunting is big here with whitetail deer. had one made for my son about twenty years ago. give these people a holler, they can hook u up somehow I;m sure.. they are a big outfit. the Tackle Box

the tackle box
Address: 22035 Three Notch Rd, Lexington Park, MD 20653
Hours: Open today · 8AM–6PM
Phone: (301) 863-8151
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
keyston44
Levergunner

Post by keyston44 »

That's another reason I switched back to a recurve. They never become outdated and obsolete. Replacement parts are always available.

Key
"Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Bowstrings may improve, but they don't go obsolete. :wink:

Fortunately or no, the control cables on my bow are made of the same material as the bowstring. I shouldn't ever have a problem replacing them.

I'll keep looking online. I tried a couple of places already and they're just as expensive as the local shops.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I buy all mine from Ten Ring Strings but I only shoot longbows. I know he makes strings for all bows but don't know about price point.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Hmm, I just looked up strings for my old recurve. $9 to $14.

I can do the installation.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Malamute wrote:Hmm, I just looked up strings for my old recurve. $9 to $14.

If I'm going to step back that far, I'd just as well make myself an atl-atl. :roll: :lol:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

cnjarvis wrote:
Malamute wrote:Hmm, I just looked up strings for my old recurve. $9 to $14.

If I'm going to step back that far, I'd just as well make myself an atl-atl. :roll: :lol:
Oh, I don't know, they seem to work pretty well. I guess it comes down the how much you value the perceived improvements of the newer types. If they are all youll consider using, then the cost is what it costs. Ive messed with compounds some, maybe I'm not able to fully appreciate the differences, but I just wasn't all that knocked over by them in comparison.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

After reading this all the way through I reckon I don't need to say anything about making a bow string. I reckon those with the training wheels really are kind of different than what some us here call bows. My bow and string are both home made, so I can't help you, sorry.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

JerryB wrote:After reading this all the way through I reckon I don't need to say anything about making a bow string. I reckon those with the training wheels really are kind of different than what some us here call bows. My bow and string are both home made, so I can't help you, sorry.
I bet you don't go to WalMart in a horse and buggy.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

You got a safe bet there. Several years ago I had to sell my four horse and saddles. I had back surgery twice and the doctor said not to try riding anymore or I would be crippled for the rest of my life. That kind of made up my mind. BUT, I do still carry a Colt SAA .45 and use lever guns, AND shoot the osage bow with the string I made. Ain't got nothing against folks if they want training wheels on there bows, it's up to them not me.
Are you up around Sheridan area?, real pretty up there.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15