What's a good price on 71 winchester receiver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

What's a good price on 71 winchester receiver

Post by Walker »

Guys, looking at that 71 receiver on the gun auction site to hang a new 50-110 barrel from. Is $450 too much considering I'd still have to round up some parts?

Terry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What's a good price on 71 winchester receiver

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a tough call, you seem to be embarking on a project I'm sure not many have done.
I'm sure if there were more 71 receivers on the market we could get a better handle on a cost.
Sure $450 is good scratch, in this case you are getting what you are paying for.

What kind of shape is it in? Does it need blue/ new case hardening? Does it have all the internals to make it work? I'd say if complete and ready to be barreled and stocked it's a reasonable price.

Just my 2 cents.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

A few years back I had just the rifle you're wanting. Mine had a Winchester barrel on a Browning/Miroku 71 action. Original barrel marking said 50 EX. Never could get it to group worth a darn so I traded it for a 73 and some money.

Is the action Winchester or Miroku? Probably doesn't matter which especially if you are putting a new mfg bbl on it. If it's complete I'd think about 600 should buy it but I'm always behind the times on prices.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Guys, it's Winchester from the 1940's, been reblued and needs locking lugs, loading gate, and few more things. I probably should just sell the barrel and get Mike Hunter to make a new barrel set for my old takedown 86. That would get me the configuration I want and top quality work too.

Terry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Walker wrote:Thanks Guys, it's Winchester from the 1940's, been reblued and needs locking lugs, loading gate, and few more things. I probably should just sell the barrel and get Mike Hunter to make a new barrel set for my old takedown 86. That would get me the configuration I want and top quality work too.

Terry

THAT sounds like a plan ! :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Way too much aggravation. Buying parts will be hard to find and expensive. It's like buying parts for a car.....cost ya three times as much as a completed example will cost. A couple of weeks at the Oaks show, a guy had a very nice standard 71 for 14.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Sixgun wrote:Way too much aggravation. Buying parts will be hard to find and expensive. It's like buying parts for a car.....cost ya three times as much as a completed example will cost. A couple of weeks at the Oaks show, a guy had a very nice standard 71 for 14.----6
I agree , you will have a time finding what you need to complete that project. I would keep looking and find one that is complete and sound.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Walker wrote:Thanks Guys, it's Winchester from the 1940's, been reblued and needs locking lugs, loading gate, and few more things. I probably should just sell the barrel and get Mike Hunter to make a new barrel set for my old takedown 86. That would get me the configuration I want and top quality work too.

Terry
I'll pass... no telling what else someone did to that critical part or why. I'd find a complete Browning 71 (modern metallurgy) for less than $1K and sell what I didn't need - or trade the parts to the 'smith doing the work, etc. Options galore!
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
shortwheels
Levergunner

Post by shortwheels »

It sounds like something to stay away from, you can do better !!