Of Goldenseal, and Battery Chargers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Of Goldenseal, and Battery Chargers

Post by Blaine »

Snorting a bit of Goldenseal powder a couple times a day has (mostly) dried up my sinuses. No drip = no tickling throat = muchly reduced coughing = not so much chest wheezing. I'll let you know if I get nose cancer or anything.....

The new whiz/bang Charger worked just fine. A few hours on the Powder Boost 20amp charge, and the 80 amp starting feature cranked her right up. The little green lights sez the battery is not broken. I think I'll leave it on the charger, and it will go into a maintenance cycle.
I want to take Her in and check why the battery went DOA....Alt? V.Reg?....Some other short?
I hate playing hide and go seek with wires..... :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Of Goldenseal, and Battery Chargers

Post by sore shoulder »

Glad you got it working. I'm still curious why it went dead in the first place. Did you put a meter on after it started to see what charge voltage is?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:Glad you got it working. I'm still curious why it went dead in the first place. Did you put a meter on after it started to see what charge voltage is?
That's above my pay grade......I'll take it in early to my shop one of these mornings, and have everything checked out.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Glad you got it working. I'm still curious why it went dead in the first place. Did you put a meter on after it started to see what charge voltage is?
That's above my pay grade......I'll take it in early to my shop one of these mornings, and have everything checked out.
A $5 meter will easily tell you, 12v system charges at around 14v. Positive to positive, neg to neg, even you could do it. :lol:

Apparently the filter doesn't like the abbreviation p o s. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

And there are small and cheap ammeters which tell how many amperes are being put out by your alternator. Low voltage or low amperage either one will cause a battery to go dead and the idiot lights may not warn you. We have AutoZone auto parts around here and they will check your battery and charging system for free.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote:And there are small and cheap ammeters which tell how many amperes are being put out by your alternator. Low voltage or low amperage either one will cause a battery to go dead and the idiot lights may not warn you. We have AutoZone auto parts around here and they will check your battery and charging system for free.
Good idea...I have that one, and a couple other national chains around here.....The test I'm especially interested in is when the car is off, is there a drain on the battery?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
piller wrote:And there are small and cheap ammeters which tell how many amperes are being put out by your alternator. Low voltage or low amperage either one will cause a battery to go dead and the idiot lights may not warn you. We have AutoZone auto parts around here and they will check your battery and charging system for free.
Good idea...I have that one, and a couple other national chains around here.....The test I'm especially interested in is when the car is off, is there a drain on the battery?
It's probably the Decepticon that looks like a stereo.
11B30
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I know it's a stone age test but I take one of the terminals off and check to see if there are sparks when I touch it back to the post. Dim light and you may see little blue sparks if it's a small drain.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

M. M. Wright wrote:I know it's a stone age test but I take one of the terminals off and check to see if there are sparks when I touch it back to the post. Dim light and you may see little blue sparks if it's a small drain.

That is a very, very bad idea on computer controlled vehicles. It can and will fry electronic components up to and including the main computer components.

Edit: I understood that to mean when running or key on, I was fielding a wife question as I read it. I don't think that is what you meant.
Last edited by sore shoulder on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11B30
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Disconnect the negative terminal and connect a test light (electric ice pick) between it and the cable. If the light glows at all you have a drain that could kill a battery in a few days. If your car has a factory burglar alarm it will kill the battery in a couple of weeks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hawkeye2 wrote:Disconnect the negative terminal and connect a test light (electric ice pick) between it and the cable. If the light glows at all you have a drain that could kill a battery in a few days. If your car has a factory burglar alarm it will kill the battery in a couple of weeks.
It has a Craig Alarm/Remote start that I don't use....Hmmmmmm

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Just take the red wire off the battery when you park the car.

SHEESH :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:Just take the red wire off the battery when you park the car.

You lose all your settings including the engine chip....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I know about the radio settings going away but I never heard of an engine chip.
What is that?

hayabusa
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:Just take the red wire off the battery when you park the car. SHEESH :D
That's what I like about OLD 'primitive' cars and trucks...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The only thing you would lose from the "chip" is what it has "learned" from your driving habits. Yes, it does that, its in your manual Blaine. Otherwise it will instantly read the sensors on startup and begin managing the engine perfectly in real time.
11B30
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

BlaineG wrote:
"Good idea...I have that one, and a couple other national chains around here.....The test I'm especially interested in is when the car is off, is there a drain on the battery?"

Any car that hes a computer will show a slight drain at the battery when the engine is off. It will only be milliamps though and wont drain the battery in weeks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
"Good idea...I have that one, and a couple other national chains around here.....The test I'm especially interested in is when the car is off, is there a drain on the battery?"

Any car that hes a computer will show a slight drain at the battery when the engine is off. It will only be milliamps though and wont drain the battery in weeks.
Yep, and I ran it for half a day a couple weeks ago. It should not have been completely dead a few days ago....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:

clean start every time plus the spyware effect is nullified, maybe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

:evil: :evil: :evil: Dammit, the Russians hacked my voltage regulator..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

:evil: :evil: :evil: Dammit, the Russians hacked my voltage regulator..... :evil: :evil: :evil:
much more likely the obamunistas did it. they keep shooting themselves in the kneecaps with the continuous fake news output.

waiting for a Trump nod to Asange with a fake news tweet at the blackhouse

but that's strays a bit, no wait one, there is that loose wire aspect
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bulldog »

BlaineG wrote:The test I'm especially interested in is when the car is off, is there a drain on the battery?
A $5.00 DVOM from Harbor Freight will tell you the truth. Set it to amperes and disconnect one of the battery cables. Put one lead on the battery post, the other on the battery cable. Any amount of amps over 0.05 amp (50 milliamps) is considered excessive. A test light can be used for large draws, but a draw that will take several days to weeks to drain the battery will go undetected.
Keep in mind that newer cars will take several minutes to "power down" the computers. It may show an excessive draw of 1 or 2 amps for 15 or even 20 minutes in some cases. Wait it out for a half hour, leaving the meter leads connected, and if you still show a draw over 50 milliamps you have a problem.

Same meter can be used to check running battery voltage of at least 13.8 volts, which would indicate your alternator is ok.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good one Grizz!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Kinda a moot point if you're gonna have someone else check it out but Bulldog's info on 50 milliamps is correct. All computerized vehicles will have a "parasitic draw" to keep all those little elekrik thingies alive...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...