Another Levergun for "The Sons of JReed"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Another Levergun for "The Sons of JReed"

Post by Old No7 »

Gee, that sounds like a western I'd like to see! :wink:

I'll start off by saying I've been blessed in SO many ways, and I especially appreciate the selfless sacrifices made by the men and women who proudly serve our country and put themselves in harm's way -- all the while protecting us, and all of our freedoms. I guess this is one small way I can try to pay that back...

Back in January, our friend "Gunny" posted this info on how I sent a 22 Single-Shot Levergun out to his 2 boys, with an etched plate on it commemorating their father's service (click for old link). Jeremy was kind enough to respond with a posting about his 2 boys, Logan and Evan, enjoying it at their local range.

Well ever since then... I've been looking for another one for the boys... You see, I had 3 brothers growing up, and sure we would all "try to share" one rifle or item, but at the end of the day, 1 divided by 4 just didn't work out all that well... 1 divided by 2 doesn't work either... So after some searching around, I found this one, similar to the first one, but all splattered with tiny dots of white paint on the lower half. It had some some scratches on the paint on the receiver and a few handling marks up front; but overall, it was in great mechanical shape with a good bore and it just needed a little TLC:
Ithaca 22 Levergun (2).jpg
Just like I did on the first one, I carefully cleaned up the stock by lightly chipping off the white paint and then rubbing on some walnut-toned Danish Oil to darken and refinish it:
Ithaca 22 Levergun (1).jpg
And I used the same "Hammered Black" spraypaint for the receiver, as that adheres really well and covers any imperfections in the base metal:
Ithaca 22 Levergun (3).jpg
All in all, I think this one came out pretty well, and the boys will have to flip a coin to see who gets which one.

Best of all, just like on the first one, I added the same brass plate to the side of the stock for the boys to cherish for many decades to come. That won't make up for the long days or months that Gunny was away, but I hope it will always invoke pride in them for their father's contributions and help bring back many cherished memories of them shooting with their Dad:
Ithaca 22 Levergun (4).jpg
It feels really good to "give something back", to "pay it forward", or just commit a "random act of kindness" -- but I am sorta glad that Jeremy and Dee didn't have 4 boys to raise like my Dad did! :shock:

Tight groups to Gunny and the boys! Happy New Year!

Semper Fi.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Another Levergun for "The Sons of JReed"

Post by Blaine »

8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thanks again Daryl. I still haven't told the boys yet. Think I will just leave it as a surprise until we pick it up. It's more fun that way :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

That was a darn fine thing to do! :D
Merle from PA
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

That was a darn fine thing to do! :D

You bet it was!!!

busa
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old no.7, I have one of those I bought for my first grandson. I have a question for you. This one has a problem ejecting cases. I bought a new ejector when I first got it as it was not catching the case when the ejector popped out. It now catches the rim but wont pop the case out. I'm thinking maybe the spring is weak. Any tips or tricks on these?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon you did a fine thing those boys won't forget.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's . . . just . . . pretty COOL . . . !!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Outstanding, Daryl - Good on you !

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Well done! :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Future family heirlooms........ :D :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Fantastic :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

sore shoulder wrote:Old no.7, I have one of those I bought for my first grandson. I have a question for you. This one has a problem ejecting cases. I bought a new ejector when I first got it as it was not catching the case when the ejector popped out. It now catches the rim but wont pop the case out. I'm thinking maybe the spring is weak. Any tips or tricks on these?
I've got a Stevens version of one of these single-shot levers all apart on my bench right now, waiting on some ejector parts and pins from Numrich. That will be for my grandkids someday... But sorry to say, I have not learned any tricks or tips about the inner workings "yet".

You might want to do a Google search on it, as maybe somebody wrote that one up in one of the "disassembly" books. I find that if you add "pdf" at the end of your search string (letters only, no "quotes") it can help bring up any printable/savable pdf files -- if they exist.

I'll keep this in mind in case I do learn anything about these...

But have you tried Gun Scrubber? Maybe the spring is OK but it's all gunked up...

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Super 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's pretty special Old No 7!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old No7 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Old no.7, I have one of those I bought for my first grandson. I have a question for you. This one has a problem ejecting cases. I bought a new ejector when I first got it as it was not catching the case when the ejector popped out. It now catches the rim but wont pop the case out. I'm thinking maybe the spring is weak. Any tips or tricks on these?
I've got a Stevens version of one of these single-shot levers all apart on my bench right now, waiting on some ejector parts and pins from Numrich. That will be for my grandkids someday... But sorry to say, I have not learned any tricks or tips about the inner workings "yet".

You might want to do a Google search on it, as maybe somebody wrote that one up in one of the "disassembly" books. I find that if you add "pdf" at the end of your search string (letters only, no "quotes") it can help bring up any printable/savable pdf files -- if they exist.

I'll keep this in mind in case I do learn anything about these...

But have you tried Gun Scrubber? Maybe the spring is OK but it's all gunked up...

Tight groups.

Old No7
When I disassembled it to replace the ejector I got from Numrich I thoroughly disassembled and cleaned the entire receiver and parts. I've scrubbed the chamber as well. I think I will order a new spring if i can find one. and make this a winter project.

Thanks for the reply and may I also say you did an exquisite job on the receiver and I may copy that myself. Was it the rattle can hammerite paint like they sell at Home Depot?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

sore shoulder wrote:Thanks for the reply and may I also say you did an exquisite job on the receiver and I may copy that myself. Was it the rattle can hammerite paint like they sell at Home Depot?
Thanks for the positive feedback. Yes, that's what I used. Previously I had used their "Sand Finish" paint on a project for my bride, and that came out really well -- from a spray can, no less. So I took a shot (pun intended) on the "Hammered Black" finish and it covered really well. For the Zamak receivers of those 22s that won't take real blueing, I think it worked out super.

Good luck with the reassembly and fixin' it! Tight groups.

Happy New Year to all!

Old No7
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Excellent!

I got a soft spot for helping kids out with shooting.
What you did was really great.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a fantastic idea for the boys! Makes me proud that you did that for someone else's kids! My hat is off to you sir!
Those old Ithaca's were fun guns. I can remember shooting lots of tree rats with that same gun a buddy of mine has.

Sore shoulder, you could have a rough chamber, roll up some emery paper then spin it inside the chamber, might polish out easily. Other thing that comes to mind is it possibly has a dent from firing pin striking( if it has been dry fired a lot), or just from lots of use. You could also take the extractor/ejector spring out and stretch it some...that will show if it's weak.

Now, if I remember, that Ithaca was an extractor only... ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Gunny you may be right, its been a few years since I had it apart. You may be on to something with the firing pin dent, I bet that would show on a fired case. I need to go dig it out of the safe thanks for the advice.
11B30
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very kewl
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Simply AWESOME!!! :D :D :D
1894c

Post by 1894c »

this is why I hang out on this forum...really good people... :)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Way to go 7 !
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

That is so awesome.

Another (of many) reasons why this group of people here are the best on any forum hands down.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

AJMD429 wrote:That's . . . just . . . pretty COOL . . . !!!
+1 through watery eyes.

Gunny, thank you for your service from that place in my heart that loves this country.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

Well update on this.

Finally got the rifle out of CA gun jail today and brought it home before the boys got out of school. They were very excited to open the box and see what it was (I kept them in the dark this whole time). After they both had a chance to handle it it was time to decide which one got which rifle so we settled it in the time old fashion of rock paper scissors best 2 out of 3 as you can see Logan (the oldest) won, but since Daryl had already sent a twin to this one previously Evan (the one with the mop on his head) didn't really lose :D Daryl the boys both send you a big thank you.

P.S. Yes Logan is wearing a Soviet shirt, No he is not a Communist. He wears this shirt every Friday as an on going joke with his Government teacher.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

GunnyMack wrote:
Sore shoulder, you could have a rough chamber, roll up some emery paper then spin it inside the chamber, might polish out easily.

They are "boy's rifles", and we all know that kids (and some adults) can occasionally (or often) mishandle a firearm.

FWIW, I've found that 98% of extraction/ejection issues with this design result from dry-firing displacing a bit of the chamber wall into the chamber, binding the fired/expanded cases from moving freely to the rear/out.

The cure is NOT to do away with the displaced material via reaming/polishing/etc.

The best practice cure would be to iron the displaced metal back into the chamber wall, using a "chamber ironing tool" ($22 @ Brownell's).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pete44ru wrote:
GunnyMack wrote:
Sore shoulder, you could have a rough chamber, roll up some emery paper then spin it inside the chamber, might polish out easily.

They are "boy's rifles", and we all know that fids (and some adults) can occasionally (or often) mishandle a firearm.

FWIW, I've found that 98% of extraction/ejection issues with this design result from dry-firing displacing a bit of the chamber wall into the chamber, binding the fired/expanded cases from moving freely to the rear/out.

The cure is NOT to do away with the displaced material via reaming/polishing/etc.

The best practice cure would be to iron the displaced metal back into the chamber wall, using a "chamber ironing tool" ($22 @ Brownell's).

^^^ +1 ^^^ on the Brownells tool !
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

What happened Jeremy!!!! In the last picture of your boys that I remember seeing, they were only as tall as the table in the background. They grow fast don't they?
ED
Yer never too old
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That they sure do. The oldest is headed to MCRD San Diego this July.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WHAT!!!? He didn't join the Navy? Thought you'd have taught him better'n that!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Griff wrote:WHAT!!!? He didn't join the Navy? Thought you'd have taught him better'n that!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
His decision, originally he was set on Air Force but changed his mind after talking with a few of their recruiters.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Great pix Gunny -- thanks for sharing!

Wow -- the two boys (i.e. young men) are LOTS bigger than the last time I saw them...

Maybe I should have sent 45-70s and not 22s ! ? ! ? ! ? :wink:

Enjoy the times shooting with them!!! Tell the guys I said hello, and Dee too.

Tight groups.

Old No7
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old No7 wrote:Great pix Gunny -- thanks for sharing!

Wow -- the two boys (i.e. young men) are LOTS bigger than the last time I saw them...

Maybe I should have sent 45-70s and not 22s ! ? ! ? ! ? :wink:

Enjoy the times shooting with them!!! Tell the guys I said hello, and Dee too.

Tight groups.

Old No7
:lol: 22's are fine :lol: I have enough trouble keeping the one 45-70 we have fed. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I can only say that you are a good man #7. And I know you are loved. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Old No. 7,

If you ever have another project Ithaca 49 and it needs a butt plate, that I have one here and it's yours for the asking. It is from my sons first 22 which he shot until it was quite worn, changing to a Remington 581 LH. He has several left hand 22's now but the only one I ever see is the Remington.

All I need is your address.

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Steelbanger wrote:Old No. 7,
If you ever have another project Ithaca 49 and it needs a butt plate, that I have one here and it's yours for the asking...
Wow, Frank. I don't have a need for one right now -- but thanks for the generous offer.

Tight groups.

Old No7
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

Well update on this.

Finally got the rifle out of CA gun jail today and brought it home before the boys got out of school. They were very excited to open the box and see what it was (I kept them in the dark this whole time). After they both had a chance to handle it it was time to decide which one got which rifle so we settled it in the time old fashion of rock paper scissors best 2 out of 3 as you can see Logan (the oldest) won, but since Daryl had already sent a twin to this one previously Evan (the one with the mop on his head) didn't really lose :D Daryl the boys both send you a big thank you.

P.S. Yes Logan is wearing a Soviet shirt, No he is not a Communist. He wears this shirt every Friday as an on going joke with his Government teacher.
WHAT the heck are you feeding them?!? Man, have they grown!!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

Well update on this.

WHAT the heck are you feeding them?!? Man, have they grown!!!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:lol: :lol:
That's what happens when they turn in to High Schoolers
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis