Strength comparisons for Marlin, Henry and Rossi in 45-70?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Strength comparisons for Marlin, Henry and Rossi in 45-7

Post by Rusty »

If you ever doubted how strong those Handi Rifles are check this out,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKdAY30tWxg
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Rusty, I never doubted it, especially after they chambered them in .500 S&W. Too bad they aren't made anymore. :(
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sore shoulder wrote:Rusty, I never doubted it, especially after they chambered them in .500 S&W. Too bad they aren't made anymore. :(
Isn't the new Henry single shot essentially the same gun?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Griff wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Rusty, I never doubted it, especially after they chambered them in .500 S&W. Too bad they aren't made anymore. :(
Isn't the new Henry single shot essentially the same gun?
From what I see they look pretty much the same.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:Rusty, I never doubted it, especially after they chambered them in .500 S&W. Too bad they aren't made anymore.
I snagged a used one in 500 S&W for about a hundred bucks; came with a box of 24 rounds and one empty. Scope-mount had drag-marks on it so I think someone got a bad case of scope-eye... :o Took the mount off, put on a Williams WGRS aperture sight, and got me a good 'slug gun' for Indiana deer... 8) .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AJMD429 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Rusty, I never doubted it, especially after they chambered them in .500 S&W. Too bad they aren't made anymore.
I snagged a used one in 500 S&W for about a hundred bucks; came with a box of 24 rounds and one empty. Scope-mount had drag-marks on it so I think someone got a bad case of scope-eye... :o Took the mount off, put on a Williams WGRS aperture sight, and got me a good 'slug gun' for Indiana deer... 8) .

those are going for $500 on GB now. A bare receiver is $99.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
those are going for $500 on GB now. A bare receiver is $99.
:shock: Uh-oh.....don't tell my wife....!!! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

A used Handi-rifle is going for more than a new 336 or Savage bolt action etc. :lol:
11B30
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Whelen, in his pre-WW-I book, wrote that factory .45-70 ran as high as 25,000 psi, as measured by what ever form of crusher they used then. I recall this included the heavy BP loads of the day. This figure no doubt explains why SAAMI is 28,000 psi today.

However, I recall Pearce writing in either Handloader or Rifle that modern factory ammo is loaded to under 20,000 psi due to the many weak 1800s guns (various makers) in circulation.

Any rifle made today is certain to be safe at 32,000 psi, for that is the rating at CIP (which in this case is a bit higher than SAAMI). The three rifles in question can likely take a little more, but you're already in the "ouch" category, so why bother. In Whelen's book, he noted the hunters then felt the .45-70-500 at 1200 fps was enough for all N.A. game, and that can be reached at less than SAAMI pressures.