suggestions for a WOODS GUN?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

suggestions for a WOODS GUN?

Post by 1894c »

Definition of a woods gun: a pistol or revolver you carry when you're hunting with a levergun in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, or Montana.

Hi-- I've been carrying either a Glock 26 in 9mm or a Ruger Single-Six for a woods gun since 1996. Sometimes I feel like have something bigger, but not sure of what. I recently shot a friend's 4" Ruger Redhawk in 44mag, but the grip area didn't fit my hand well and I really hated those Hogue rubber grips. Another friend carries a Ruger SP-101 in 357 mag, and another carries a 1911. At this point I'm open to suggestions... :)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: suggestions for a WOODS GUN?

Post by jeepnik »

Sounds like what you are describing is sometimes called a "packing pistol". The various magazine pundits have discussed this for decades (a century maybe?).

The "Perfect Packing Pistol" will vary with location, time of the year, and mostly personal preference. Since you can almost remove time of the year from the equation in SoCal (my home), and we don't have any large bears, I'm pretty comfortable with something in either .45 colt or .45 acp.

To be honest, I have had more unpleasant encounters with two legged critters than four legged ones. Come to think of it, I've had more encounters with no legged slitherers than four legged critters.

Where there is a reasonable chance of encountering larger predators, I'd go with a heavily loaded .45 colt over the acp. But any of the three digit boomers .454, .480, .500 etc. would be better if you can use them well. I'd rather get a couple of hits from a .45 colt than one with any of the three digit calibers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If I'm carrying a rifle around our cabin in PA I'll pack a .22 LR, either my S&W or a Ruger MKII or III. Until recently I'd be carrying a Ruger SBH if I was without a long gun. This year it will be one of my 1911s until I can replace the Ruger. I have an S&W Model 29 that I'll take along on occasion, but with the 8 3/8" barrel it's a bit much.
Here in Ohio where we don't have black bear I'll be packing any number of guns but I'm really becoming fond of my new Ruger Single Seven in .327 Federal. I like my S&W 19 w/ the 2 1/2" barrel for walking and hiking what few trails we have around here. Not a lot of public land in Northern OH.

I'll second the issue about the two legged critters as well.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Generally a .357 will be sufficient unless you know you are in bear country.

But I have been known to use a Ruger ROA in places/seasons where "guns" aren't allowed and then use the same gun with a .45 Colt cylinder when/where legal.

If you load it up right the C&B cylinder and the .45 Colt will shoot to the same POA.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I have seen more bears than bucks this year....some to close for comfort ..........44 mag
SW 629 classic 6"
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

If you like the single six, get a single seven. I've been carrying a single six in 32 H&R as a woods gun for years, now I carry the single seven. If you are carrying a rifle already , you need a smaller caliber for pests not dangerous game. I've shot a lot of skunks and coons with the 32 H&R.

My second favorite is the newer Blackhawk in 44 Special . It is made on the orginal 357 frame, not the 44 mag frame. It is small and handy.

Ruger now makes a GP100 in 44 Special. I have no experience with it.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

mine is a redhawk with a 5-1/2" barrel in 44 mag. I shoot subsonic 405gr hardcast which is legendary among my two friends. It penetrates as much doug fir as my guide gun load, which should break as much bone as it can encounter in one trip.

I carry crossdraw in a simply rugged pancake with the intention of being able to grab it with the arm that isn't in the bear's mouth. seriously. I cannot think of a better tool for the job after the bear has batted the guide gun away.

Oh, it will easily take deer to at least a hundred yards, if that's on the itinerary.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I bought a single six in 32 for one purpose, to convert it to 44 special. John Gallager and I were in gunsmith school together, he was converting SBH's to 5 shot guns in a cartridge based from 348 win case. I was interested it a small frame conversion so we did it. It used to live in my fishing vest for weekend trips to the Mountian streams.
Now it would be a second choice to my Blackhawk 41 mag.

I think it all comes down to what you can handle best. Be it a 327 or a 454. Or anything in between.
Anything 4-6" is key in my opinion.

Nice thing about a wheel gun is you can drop in a couple shot shells for rats or snakes the. Top it off with any bullet of your choosing.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

Having grown up in western Pa., I am somewhat familiar with what you are liable to run into there. I would personally choose a double-action 357. Even if you don't reload, the proliferation of 38 special and 357 loads available in factory ammunition would cover about any situation you are ever likely to encounter. Even with a bear encounter, a 357 magnum load with a 180 gr. bullet would be sufficient, if not overpowering. The DA mode with a couple of speed loaders would cover the self-defense role against two-legged "varmints". Even an L-frame S&W is not all that heavy to carry all day. If you are planning on hunting with the handgun, and keep your shots at moderate distances, the 357 will handle small game up through deer with aplomb. If you handload, the situation gets even better. The recoil is moderate to un-noticeable, the ammunition is readily available and reasonably-priced, and the number of new and used revolvers is un-matched. If bears are your major worry, I would go with the same DA platform in 41 magnum, 44 magnum, 45 ACP/Colt, or one of the more powerful rounds. My preference for the revolver is based more on the ease of handling different power levels in loads, not maximum power.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A good .44spl or a .45 Colt would take care of any thing in the lower 48.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Dad used to alternate if he was carrying a center fire rifle he would carry a .22 handgun,if he was carrying a ,22 rifle or his shotgun he would carry the 45 colt.Haven't carried both in years but would have no problem with the .41 mag or single six. Don't know if they still sell them but Midway used have spare cylinders with seven or eight shots for the single six.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I thought your forum name said it all - "1894c" - until I realized you were talking about a pistol not a rifle/carbine.

How about a revolver in 357 Mag to match the 1894c I presume you have...?

Or a 32-20......or 22 WMR.......

Two schools of thought seem to prevail:

A. Have handgun in same chambering as a pistol-caliber levergun, or
B. Have handgun in an 'opposite' chambering, like
a) a 22 LR for 'camp varmints' if your levergun is a 444 Marlin that is overpowered for such, or
b) a 45 Colt for 'personal protection' if your levergun is a 22 LR more suited for squirrels

Although in bygone days the 'same chambering' made sense from an ammo-inventory standpoint, I think nowadays most of us aren't worried about going months on end before we get back to a trading post, so the versatility of the 'B' plans makes more sense.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Since you say I've already got my hunting rifle on me, the AirWeight, LCP, or even the 317 is fine. If I don't have a centerfire rifle, I like having a 45acp along. The G30 has more mag capacity...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

and ....... my problem is that every thing every one has said here makes perfect sense to me....and i have handguns of each of these types.......so i am still undecided.....but considering rolling a cart along with me with one of each in it .....

i do get confused about this

and will admit that lots of times i have carried my S&W 329 and the little S&W 43 airweight 22 kit gun both on my belt along with my rifle......those two together weigh about the same as most center fire handguns
cable
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been looking at that .327 Federal a lot of late. It looks like it might be very versatile.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

If I was worried about any chore beyond coup-de-grace (for which I generally carry a Ruger Mk II), I'd probably go with my NM Blackhawk or a GP-100 in .357Mag.

Don't see many bears in my woods.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Thanks for the replies...I presently live and hunt in the Pacific Northwest (with the occasional trip to Montana or Idaho) and we have a lot of Black Bears, Cougar, Wolves, plus we've been seeing signs of Moose along with the occasional Elk. I limit my hunting to Mule Deer and I presently hunt with a Marlin 336 in .30WCF (recently picked up a 336Y with a 16" barrel). My buddies laugh at me as they lug their 300WinMag, but for me the 30/30 works, because hunting these days is more about getting away than filling a tag. My other Marlin is a 1894C in .357 mag, which I have also carried and hunted with, but within limited distance. I should mention that I do re-load... :)

I've been leaning towards a .357 Mag as some have suggested. Back in the old days I used to shoot that cartridge in a 2.5" Model 66 so it is well within my comfort zone -- Ruger has recently introduced a Ruger Redhawk in .357, again, (8-shots)--here is the link: http://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5033.html
5033.jpg
Or that new Ruger GP-100 in .44 Special could be a better choice, especially if you load it with a heavy cast bullet at 1000fps...:)
Here is the GP-100 link: http://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1761.html
1761.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

stainless 4 5/8 ruger vaquero in 44 mag, nickel 3 inch 29 in 44 mag. or a 6 1/2 inch SW 500. Depending if it is black or grizzly country.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

My woods gun is a G20 10mm loaded with buffalo bore 180 gr doing 1350 fps/728 fpe x 15+1. That is a lot of horsepower in a small, light, reliable package.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

For me those lever guns of yours just demand a thumb-buster companion. You know, a single action revolver. If the nostalgia of a cowboy gun doesn't appeal to you buy a Ruger new vaquero in .357, 4 5/8 bbl. If you want a little nostalgia make it in 45 Colt, that way you can load it to where you are satisfied and Mr. Bear is rendered inoperable. Make yourself some shot shells for slitherers.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've not hunted in those states, but I have hunted in CA, UT, CO & TX and I've carried either a Ruger Blackhawk in .357, a Colt SAA in 45 Colt or a Combat Commander in 45ACP. Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about 2-legged varmits in the woods than whether I'm having big or small game in the cook pot. Having been threatened and actually shot at by idjits, I feel the need to protect myself more than just "a little bit." (These incidents took place in CA).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm in Oregon and I think that if I didn't carry one of my 3, .44 Magnum revolvers (all kinda big and heavy), I'd go with my 4" 357 Magnum. Both cartridges are very versatile and can be reloaded with everything from mouse phart loads to T-Rex killers. You could definitely reach out and touch something with a 160 gr LSWC cruising along at 1,200 fps... :o
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I carry a pistol along whenever I'm out hunting or fishing in Oregon. Regardless of what I'm doing, I wont carry a heavy pistol, as it quickly becomes a burden after a few hours of walking or hiking. I usually carry my S&W model 60 stainless 5 shot .38 Spl. as a backup. But if I'm fishing I sometimes consider the odds of needing a larger caliber, and slip my little .22LR semiauto S&W in my back pocket. It's plenty for snakes, or anything small I might encounter while fishing in the summer.
I don't look at a backup as having to do heavy killing, as my rifle is still my primary gun. But I want something that wont become a burden weight wise as the day goes on.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894c

Post by 1894c »

sore shoulder wrote:My woods gun is a G20 10mm loaded with buffalo bore 180 gr doing 1350 fps/728 fpe x 15+1. That is a lot of horsepower in a small, light, reliable package.
This is an option that I was also considering, especially since I'm a Glock fan-boy, you also can get a 200 to 230 grain projectile... :)
http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php? ... uct_id=105
http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php? ... uct_id=158
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

JerryB wrote:A good .44spl or a .45 Colt would take care of any thing in the lower 48.

Agreed
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894c wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:My woods gun is a G20 10mm loaded with buffalo bore 180 gr doing 1350 fps/728 fpe x 15+1. That is a lot of horsepower in a small, light, reliable package.
This is an option that I was also considering, especially since I'm a Glock fan-boy, you also can get a 200 to 230 grain projectile... :)
An old Air Force PJ friend of mine recently got a RIA 10mm 1911. He sold it. He won't say, but I think it was too much for his arthritic hands. I wish I could have shot it with full house loads.
He still has a Glock in 357 Sig...it's snappy, but not uncomfortable to shoot.
Hey, Frank: Does the G20 have less felt recoil than a 1911 in 10mm?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

hmmm, half-weights?

can someone get a quick TKO on that option v.s. my revolver load?

I'm out to lunch. Bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
1894c wrote:
An old Air Force PJ friend of mine recently got a RIA 10mm 1911. He sold it. He won't say, but I think it was too much for his arthritic hands. I wish I could have shot it with full house loads.

No idea, never shot one. What I do know is the 1911's will not stand up to real 10mm loads, which is why the Delta Elite was discontinued. The higher pressures of Norma level 10mm battered the frame and slide badly, and every attempt to make one on the 1911 platform has ended up having the same issue. You can still find them, but all you have to do is search around the net. anyone who shoots a steady diet of real 10mm uses a Glock.

However, in general, Glocks tend to be more comfortable to shoot than 1911's for any given round due to the absorptive properties of the polymer.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The mountains I deer hunt in have a lot of huge black bear. I take my Glock 27 with a 13 shot mag loaded with hardcast 180grn. loads.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
1894c wrote:

No idea, never shot one. What I do know is the 1911's will not stand up to real 10mm loads, which is why the Delta Elite was discontinued. The higher pressures of Norma level 10mm battered the frame and slide badly, and every attempt to make one on the 1911 platform has ended up having the same issue. You can still find them, but all you have to do is search around the net. anyone who shoots a steady diet of real 10mm uses a Glock.

However, in general, Glocks tend to be more comfortable to shoot than 1911's for any given round due to the absorptive properties of the polymer.

and the CZ 10 mm had a reputation for cracking slides as well. I have the glock 20 and don't find it unpleasant to shoot at all. but for a woods gun, I just remain a revolver man....just because.
cable
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:Since you say I've already got my hunting rifle on me, the AirWeight, LCP, or even the 317 is fine. If I don't have a centerfire rifle, I like having a 45acp along. The G30 has more mag capacity...
BlaineG-- I also like the idea of a .45ACP (Paco talked about using this in +P in other articles that I found once), I also tried a G30SF for one hunting season, traded it for something else, who knows what... :(
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Until I got my Casull, I hopped up my fully supported 1911 to "almost" (i.e. well beyond) unsafe levels.

I put buffer pads and a 26# recoil spring in it and loaded Small Rifle Primer brass to "the primer's not quite flat" pressures. (I was young... and dumb)

But it worked. I was getting close to .45 WinMag specs. :shock:

But then I bought my .454 and gave my poor Norinco a break. :?

So... it's doable... if you are in your early 20s.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

hfcable wrote:
and the CZ 10 mm had a reputation for cracking slides as well. I have the glock 20 and don't find it unpleasant to shoot at all. but for a woods gun, I just remain a revolver man....just because.
I cant fault that. I had a bobbed .480 RSH that I sold to a guy in AK. It was definitely a comfortable feeling in grizzly country with 405gr hard cast doing 1150 fps. I plan to replace it someday with a .44 magnum. Grizz's loads have convinced me it should be enough.
11B30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

One of my Glocks is a 30. And while the magazine capacity is nice, I just can't quite bring myself to take it out to the desert. Places like that seem to call for a wheel gun, or at the least a 1911.

That being said, my nephew the deputy sheriff always brings his glock duty weapon. Though these days he keeps it on his hip, not in the Jeep, where it was when we used a little AR-7 to discourage three two legged critter.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Until I traded it off (a Commander in 45 caught my eye) I carried a S&W mountain gun in 44mag. Lite cast loads for small game, plinking and most carrying, with the option of heavier loads for bear if needed. I don't know if all the N frame sized guns come with round but K frame size grips or if it was just the Mountain guns, but a person could find one of many grips to fit. Now I usually carry my Commander in 45acp and don't feel real undergunned. When I'm walking I like to take grouse or rabbits and still want to be able to protect myself. I also carry- hunt with a Single Six in .32H&R mag on occasion, fun light trail gun.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sore shoulder wrote:
hfcable wrote:
I cant fault that. I had a bobbed .480 RSH that I sold to a guy in AK. It was definitely a comfortable feeling in grizzly country with 405gr hard cast doing 1150 fps. I plan to replace it someday with a .44 magnum. Grizz's loads have convinced me it should be enough.
now wait just a minute . . . :lol: . . .

you can "safely" get a 44 mag 405gr going 1150 fps, barely. I mean, you could, but you would be all the way up to the 108% threshhold. or close there to. and in the 44 those bullets are barely clearing the frame as the cylinder rotates, and you can't sink 'em any deeper without a lot of pressure spiking trauma. by keeping my loads around a thousand fps I lower the pressure significantly. I forget what Marshall said, but he has some pressure data on that bullet for 44 and 444 applications.

whereas with the .480 you can get that with, I think, substantially less pressure. seems like a win win win to me. I've often thought about the .480 as a reasonable step for a hand gun hunter for the lower pressures alone.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Those are all valid points Grizz, however I wouldn't buy another .480 for several reasons. Ruger stopped making them. It's a handload option only, WalMart does not sell .480 nor does anyone else I know of, I'm not even sure Hornady still loads for it. I would choose the .44 mag for all those reasons. And I would be happy with 900fps with a 405gr.

Also, , that 1150 was verified average over John Linebaughs chrono after he cut the barrel to 4 1/2", and I could have easily gotten 1250. It was a pleasure to shoot at 1150.
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Looks like I'm behind the times a bit, ruger brought the .480 back, it aint cheap though lol.
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sore shoulder wrote:Looks like I'm behind the times a bit, ruger brought the .480 back, it aint cheap though lol.
well, 405gr in a handgun is handload only too.

I found my load notes today that I used for a post on the other thread.

I can update my 405gr load a little with some phone info from 2007.

17g H110 should give 1100 fps from a 5.5" redhawk at 36,400 cup

13g 2400 should be right at 1000 fps from a 5.5" redhawk at 28,000 cup

I never went there with H110 as I wanted lower pressure. I could hear Marshall smiling when I asked for the 2400 data :) .

My load at 13g averaged 908fps.

It took me a long time to figure out why it was that slow.

The cylinder throats are way undersized for my .432 bullets, and they are in effect swedging the bullets to too small for the bore, and I am losing velocity in the cylinder. I think. I have not resized the throats yet, which I have to do before I fire lap the barrel. Then I think my 13.5gr load, which averages 942 fps, should easily break 1000 fps with LESS stress on the gun.

Essentially, I have to convert the gun from shooting copper jacket bullets to shooting cast bullets to get the results I want.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz, I've never shot one of your 405 loads....Sounds interesting. No doubt they are too long to chamber in my old Marlin 1894?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:Grizz, I've never shot one of your 405 loads....Sounds interesting. No doubt they are too long to chamber in my old Marlin 1894?
I think if they did chamber they wouldn't stabilize. Remember the 355gr load that went out of mine sideways?

you did shoot it. remember that spot where Doug came up from OR, near the rr siding area? sure shot was there, and might be the time you traded off the BFR. we were there on a couple or several different days. I'm likely mixing up the timeline.

there was a largish gong at 103 yards or something and we were walking the bullets up to it. I had my wonky peep sight experimental unit on it and it was way off, but once we got the windage and elevation worked out we could ring the gong. I think Doug got one of the 405s stuck in his SBH for a while 'cause it cannot get past the frame. Any of that coming back to ya?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Grizz, I've never shot one of your 405 loads....Sounds interesting. No doubt they are too long to chamber in my old Marlin 1894?
I think if they did chamber they wouldn't stabilize. Remember the 355gr load that went out of mine sideways?

you did shoot it. remember that spot where Doug came up from OR, near the rr siding area? sure shot was there, and might be the time you traded off the BFR. we were there on a couple or several different days. I'm likely mixing up the timeline.

there was a largish gong at 103 yards or something and we were walking the bullets up to it. I had my wonky peep sight experimental unit on it and it was way off, but once we got the windage and elevation worked out we could ring the gong. I think Doug got one of the 405s stuck in his SBH for a while 'cause it cannot get past the frame. Any of that coming back to ya?
:oops: :oops: :oops: I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.... :D :D

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

let's look for a wx break and dust off the ammo boxes
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Looks like I'm behind the times a bit, ruger brought the .480 back, it aint cheap though lol.
well, 405gr in a handgun is handload only too.

I found my load notes today that I used for a post on the other thread.

I can update my 405gr load a little with some phone info from 2007.

17g H110 should give 1100 fps from a 5.5" redhawk at 36,400 cup

13g 2400 should be right at 1000 fps from a 5.5" redhawk at 28,000 cup

I never went there with H110 as I wanted lower pressure. I could hear Marshall smiling when I asked for the 2400 data :) .

My load at 13g averaged 908fps.

It took me a long time to figure out why it was that slow.

The cylinder throats are way undersized for my .432 bullets, and they are in effect swedging the bullets to too small for the bore, and I am losing velocity in the cylinder. I think. I have not resized the throats yet, which I have to do before I fire lap the barrel. Then I think my 13.5gr load, which averages 942 fps, should easily break 1000 fps with LESS stress on the gun.

Essentially, I have to convert the gun from shooting copper jacket bullets to shooting cast bullets to get the results I want.
I'm betting that 28,000 cup is a lot more comfortable than 36,400. I did not like some of the snappier lighter bullets in the .480. They bite and draw blood if you don't wear gloves.

Something else I noticed, the new .480 SRH is a 6 shot, I'm almost positive mine was 5.

Yes the 405gr in a 44 would be handload only, but you can still find 44 mag at walmart.
11B30
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

sore shoulder wrote:
Yes the 405gr in a 44 would be handload only, but you can still find 44 mag at walmart.
True, or its not difficult to find someone that has one and some ammo on hand.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Malamute wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
True, or its not difficult to find someone that has one and some ammo on hand.
True, I can find it. I can't afford it though so it is unobtanium for me anyway.

That argument though is why I standardized on the para bellum calibers, 7.62, 5.56, and 9mm.

those are the ones I buy at walmart.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote: That argument though is why I standardized on the para bellum calibers, 7.62, 5.56, and 9mm.

those are the ones I buy at walmart.

Word
11B30