94 'classic' rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

94 'classic' rifle

Post by flatnose »

I have a 26'' 'classic' octagonal barrel, which I will be putting on a carbine. I have forend wood, forend cap, and the magazine hanger etc,etc.
How does the forend cap mount to the barrel?
The barrel has a long flat on the underside of it which I guess does nothing, but the cutout for the cap hanger/ mount is nothing that I have seen before.
Does anyone have a picture or part number for that part?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 94 'classic' rifle

Post by GunnyMack »

BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Winchester has used two different methods to attach the forend cap; 1 - a hole thru the bottom of the barrel and a single long screw, 2 - a tenon that fits in a dovetail w/2 short screws. The mag tube hanger twists into that enlongated dovetail, (note iits curved @ front & rear, so's the hanger). There is hardened pin that runs thru the hanger and a filed slot in the tube. The cap should be threaded to receive a screw with a long shank that fits in a blind (unthreaded) hole in the bottom flat of the barrel.

The mag cap is not "attached" to the barrel, just located but this screw. I've got some pics & diagrams, I'll find & add.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This is a Rifle (model) forend cap tenon, which slides into a female dovetail in the bottom of the barrel (in the correct spot) and has two sides that wrap around the magazine tube. Two small screws through the sides of the forend cap secure the assembly to the forend cap tenon & (ergo) also the barrel.

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1085.htm

The magazine tube is retained via a small transverse pin through a magazine tube hanger dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel about an inch from the muzzle.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Although this screenshot from an old Winchester parts catalog shows the carbine type wood, the mag tube attachments are for a "rifle".

Your "Classic" rifle will have that blind hole near the muzzle, for any shorter magazine tube, you'll have to drill a new hole.

When you assemble the rifle, you'll not want any "pressure" at any of the attaching points, especially the tube hanger pin and the tube cap screw, as this will affect accuracy as the barrel heats up and expands. My most accurate mdl 94 rifles even have a slight loose feel to the forend.

Wisner's also carries the tube hanger, but is "temporarily out of stock"... http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1009.htm. However, the same hanger is used on mdl 1866, 1873 & 1892. So, the part from VTI will fit. Item #275: http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdi ... 1873+Rifle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

There are no dovetails on the underside of the barrel, they are just machined slots that would require soldering on the tube hanger and the forend cap mount. I will try and post some pictures.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The magazine ring solders or sweats onto the barrel groove, but there isn't any fore end tip hanger for that era barrel. The angled undercut part of the groove under the barrel is what the screw catches to hold the cap and fore end on. The screw should be the same one that the carbines use for the rear band. This is assuming you have the correct vintage parts for that fore end and barrel. If the front end of the fore end fits into the tip, and its only threaded on one side, with a recess for the head on the other, its probably the correct part.

Once you get the barrel installed on the receiver, and set the fore end on it, the cap should fit on with the angled undercut in the right place to hold the screw. If it doesn't make sense now, it will when you put the parts on. You can also mock it up on the barrel, but only with forward pressure will the parts stay in place.

The magazine ring isn't like the older ones, its a simple squared cut with the ring soldered to the barrel. Some magazine rings had the cross pin, some didn't, I don't recall which were which with the late 60s commemoratives. I like the cross pin, I think it helps secure everything, as it interferes with the magazine ring and the magazine tube. If you can lay hands on the pin, you can drill it if its not already done. A drill press or mill is probably best for that. For a medium-heavy barrel 30-30 its probably not going to make much difference though, there isn't that much recoil.

If you have the correct magazine tube, it should all drop into place regarding the cap and all. There was a difference in the magazine caps and screws, you need the same matching cap and screw to work right. Later screws were thicker towards the head. Either matched cap and screw set should work with any tube though (I think...).
Last edited by Malamute on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Malamute,
That makes sense now. I will try and assemble it.
Thanks for the input guys.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Got home and looked at my '66 Centennial. Malamute is right, the ring fits in a shallow straight cut dovetail, it does have a pin. The end cap screw is threaded only at the head end, with the cap being threaded on the bottom and the unthreaded shank of the screw fitting into the round recess of the barrel.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

According to my 1979 Winchester parts catalog the magazine tube band uses a pin to hold the magazine tube in. Winchester lists the band as part number 14066 and it shows that this part is only available if you send the rifle back for fitting. I have a 1968 20" Classic that my sons has now but I think this part is soldered to the barrel but if you have an older style you could always cut a dove tali slot in the barrel to accommodate it. The barrels listed in the catalog come with the tube bracket attached.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is how Winchester did a tube hanger near the muzzle on a 24" barrel. This is an AE from about 1985 presafety 94. I understand the question is regarding the forearm end cap. Just showing one factory approach to 24" rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...