to fire or not to fire -- sheesh (unfired Canadian Centennia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

to fire or not to fire -- sheesh (unfired Canadian Centennia

Post by Streetstar »

Picked up an unfired Canadian Centennial on Gunbroker --- for those not familiar, - post 64 model 94 30-30 , 26" octagon barrel, full length mag tube with a little bit of maple leaf renderings on the receiver

Unlike some of the domestic centennial versions, the receiver is blued , so a lot less garish than many of the domestic tribute and centennial guns

I'm in a Brady delay now or the pics would be up, --- but when I went to pay the man my transfer fee and fill out the 4473, -- he brought out the original Winchester box in great shape, (no additional paperwork though) -- and the rifle was beautiful, -- very nice grade wood and the seller's claims of it being un-fired seemed legit

So do I do the deal or not? --- I bought it to shoot - in fact, I wanted to break it in at the Whittington Center on some longer range silhouettes, - hence my desire for a 26" barreled rifle

as I mentioned, I originally bought it intending to shoot - but there are plenty of other shooters out there too
----- Doug
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: to fire or not to fire -- sheesh (unfired Canadian Cente

Post by Ray Newman »

Buyers' remorse? Sounds like you might feel better 'bout selling it off and finding a "shooter"....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Just send it on out to me, I'll relieve your anxiety by shooting it for you for a few years. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Shoot it......I certainly would.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

First there are lots of these in unfired condition as many bought them to put away as a collectable, which they have not become because so many people bought them and put them away. I see several a year at gun shows in unfired condition.
Second it seems as though Winchester used better barrels on the commemorative rifles and the few I know that shoot them regularly say they are the most accurate of the post 64's.
My never to be humble opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it. TOM
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a Canadian Centennial that I use for shooting NRA Lever Action Rifle Silhouette. It shoots great, and cost half as much as an original Winchester rifle. In my opinion, rifles are made to shoot, even those manufactured as a "collector's item". In fact, I mounted a Marble's tang sight on mine, and drilled/tapped a hole right through the "D" in the word "CANADIAN" stamped on the upper tang. Let someone else worry about lowering the value. I'm having a good time shooting!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I've long (40-odd years) hunted with high-grade rifles, just because......

YMMV, but I'd rather have the commemorative than a plain shooter, just to have something to admire during those slow times when game seem scarce, if for no other reason.

After all, how else can one obtain a high-grade ( great wood, a little engraving, long barrel, etc) Model 94 at less than 50% the cost of a pre-64 genie ?

As long a it's not physically used to "beat the brush" or as a crutch during a stream crossing, it should keep it's original condition for a very long, long time.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a Canadian Centennial that "someone" bubba'd into a Trapper

The post '64 Commemoratives have not gained value appreciably from their original cost... in fact, if compared to a standard carbine of the same era, due to their original cost, they've not done as well. The sole exception being the John Wayne Trapper. And all of them I'm encountered have been exceedingly accurate shooters. I just installed a tang sight on my '66 Centennial mdl 94...

So... SHOOT IT, the only way it would be worth anything as a "collector" is if you have the original box, wrapper and all the paperwork and hang tags. Take good care of it, and you'll not lose money, even if your shoot it a LOT!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I had one of those probably 15 years ago. Was muzzle heavy, but a very accurate rifle thanks to that barrel stiffness.
I remember many years ago, the late Gary Sitton did a piece on the .30-30 for Rifle or Handloader and his test bed was "one of these Winchester 94s commemorating nothing in particular."
:lol:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Bang bang
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Shoot that thang.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I long ago decided that if any of my guns ever increase in value down the road it will be a pleasant unexpected benefit to the many other benefits I have enjoyed during my years of owning and using them. Shoot away!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pisgah wrote:I long ago decided that if any of my guns ever increase in value down the road it will be a pleasant unexpected benefit to the many other benefits I have enjoyed during my years of owning and using them. Shoot away!!
Yep.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks for the responses gents

A logical person would have just bought 2 --- the unfired , pretty one, to look at, ---- and one that's a little more "seasoned" to burn through my post election excess ammo stash -- LOL

I am neither logical enough nor moneyed enough to have multiples of everything, so I guess the old gal is going to have to be broken in by me

--- its been a couple years, but it I think I had the same question when I drug home an unfired 2nd Gen NRA anniversary Colt -- now, it has definitely been fired and I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it :)
----- Doug
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Shoot it !!! I shoot mine and mine is very accurate. The Commemoratives are not as collectable as some people think they are.
Back in the '70's when they were really pumping them out, seems like a different one each week, my old boss invested in them heavily. 25 years later his unfired hoard was still worth just about what he paid for them new.
Shoot and enjoy. :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

It's a rifle..
SHOOT it..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I got a nice unfired Parker 8 gauge that was valued at thousands of dollars I'd still fire it !

I buy nothing any longer unless I intend to shoot and or use it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is not like it is a Rembrant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

My only addition would be, if you shoot it, shoot it a lot and keep it.

I bought an unfired 50+ year old pistol once and fired it. But just a little, I babied it because it was so nice. Too nice for me to keep and baby, so I sold it a couple years later. I got more than I paid, but those few hundred rounds I fired cost me a lot from what I could have gotten. (Though this was a lot more uncommon than an unfired Winchester commemorative)
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:It is not like it is a Rembrant
Streetstar,
The boys here had said it right and my personal confidant, Mr. Old Savage, esquire, could not have said it better. But then again, het gets "all of the soft stuff". I killed my first deer back in '68 with a Canadian Centennial...still have it....well, my son has it

There were 90,000 of these rifles made. It will be the year 2428 before they are worth anything much more than what they are now bringing.

Like many have said here, they make excellent shooters and in my opinion, the most accurate, and reliable rifles Winchester ever put out. Several of my buddies from upstate, who are Pennsylvania State Silhouette Champs and three of these guys who are National Champs from Raton, use these commemorative rifles in one form or another. Al Faust uses a Long Star, Mike Haines uses a Canadian Centennial...I think?.......and Brian Wakefield uses any rifle he can grab a hold of and still shoots 75 x 80's.....the guys amazing.

Shoot it and enjoy........life is short.----6
Model A Uzi’s
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Shoot it, the enjoyment you have will be far better than just looking at it. :)

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

In about 1929, my dad bought an 1886 beater for $1.75 at an auction. The auctioneer handed it to him and said, "Here kid, use it for a crowbar!"

You can buy a crowbar for $20 now. I am sure you paid more than $20 for this rifle, so rather than treating it like a crowbar and letting it sit in the corner, unused, treat it like a rifle and shoot the heck out of it!

Those commemoratives are excellent shooters. A friend shot a coyote offhand at 150 yards with a Buffalo Bill commemorative. I shot that rifle and it was a tack driver.

Enjoy that RIFLE to the fullest!!