Got another 30-30 (Photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Got another 30-30 (Photo)

Post by KirkD »

A friend of mine decided to sell his Winchester Model 1894 Saddle Ring Carbine chambered in 30-30, several months ago. I figured I'd kick myself if I didn't snag this one while the opportunity was there, so decided to add it to my small collection of two other 30-30's. This one was made in 1921.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got another 30-30 (Photo)

Post by .45colt »

Very Nice Kirk!! One of My favorite candy stores has Two SRC 30-30's. I just have no use for another 30-30. Merry Christmas You Old Geezer. :D .
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

.45colt wrote:Very Nice Kirk!! One of My favorite candy stores has Two SRC 30-30's. I just have no use for another 30-30. Merry Christmas You Old Geezer. :D .
And a Merry Christmas to you as well! I'm not sure I should even ask where that candy store is .... I have grave doubts about my ability to resist the temptation to add another one or two SRC's to my collection. A fellow just can't have enough 30-30's.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Kirk that is a real beauty. Does it show any scabbard wear or was it carried as a woods rifle? What make is the tang sight? I reckon it just might make one of your wilderness canoe trips next summer instead of Sam. Was that the name of the other one?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Very nice, I'm keeping my eye out for one.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote:WOW!!!!!!!!!! Kirk that is a real beauty. Does it show any scabbard wear or was it carried as a woods rifle? What make is the tang sight? I reckon it just might make one of your wilderness canoe trips next summer instead of Sam. Was that the name of the other one?
Jerry, this doesn't show too much wear, just the usual thinning of the blue at the edges and carry point. The tang sight is an original Lyman. For wilderness trips, I think I'd prefer to take 'Old Savage', my working 30-30.
Last edited by KirkD on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

that is an awesome rifle....did ya take it deer hunt'n?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

RIHMFIRE wrote:that is an awesome rifle....did ya take it deer hunt'n?
I was tempted, but I actually took a different 30-30 deer hunting this year, a carbine I call 'Old Savage'. I only had a buck tag and saw only one buck .... a yearly with 8" spikes. I looked at him for several minutes and then decided that he'd have more meat on him if I wait another year.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Beautiful 30WCF! Nice tang sight too! Plenty of blue left.

I picked up a really nice flat band in 30WCF a few months back too and she shoots great with 150s.

Merry Christmas to all!

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Great looking gun Kirk!!

my old 1894 src is a 32 special made in 1911 it could easily win a ugly gun contest
but shoots cast bullets just fine

Brad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

you might have cornered the market. I don't recall ever seeing a Winchester that clean and loveable.

glad it's in responsible hands . . .

I have a Marlin around somewhere in 30-30. wonder if I leaned it into the crotch of a tree or just drempt I did...

:D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd be jealous... but I have one!!! :P :lol: Everyone should own at least a couple!!! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hi, Kirk.
I see your nose for a fine carbine is still up to scratch.
If you was a bird dog you would be worth thousands :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations Kirk on finding another good'un..... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Nice SRC Kirk. Glad you "rescued" it.

Who was the maker on your saddle? I keep a couple around here just to look at since the horses have been gone for years. In the corner of this room is the wife's grandad's R. T. Frazier "A fork" from about 1890. Has his chaps draped across the horn too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Very sweet rifle Kirk. How's she shoot?

Cat
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great looking rifle Kirk, congrats on getting it. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

M. M. Wright wrote:Nice SRC Kirk. Glad you "rescued" it.

Who was the maker on your saddle? I keep a couple around here just to look at since the horses have been gone for years. In the corner of this room is the wife's grandad's R. T. Frazier "A fork" from about 1890. Has his chaps draped across the horn too.
I don't know who the maker of my saddle was. We bought it from a farmer when I was around 12 or 13 years old and it became 'my' saddle from that point on. I have not seen a name or identification anywhere on the saddle.

Catshooter: I'm experimenting with hand loads. So far, the best I have done is a five-shot group at 100 yards of around 2 & 1/2", but experimentation will resume in the spring.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Mr. Wright, you just cost me about 45 minutes of reading time on my only forum. When I read your post to Kirk on his 30wcf SRC and saddle, you had to go a head and mention some thing about an old Frazier slick fork saddle. I then spent close to an hour looking at old saddles reading and droolin'. All I have now is an old dried out slick fork saddle in a shed that I got from an old rancher in Kansas about 45 years ago. I rigged it and rode it some but it was to far gone to rebuild and would cost to much anyway.

so this is a thread Drift big time, sorry kinda'
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kirk, nice pick up. My last one was a 61'. That was the first year I began looking at them in a Winchester catalog.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Nice gun Kirk
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's a really nice carbine Kirk. That's a lot of finish for a SRC. Most were used hard and often.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

ollogger wrote:Great looking gun Kirk!!

my old 1894 src is a 32 special made in 1911 it could easily win a ugly gun contest
but shoots cast bullets just fine

Brad
I've also got an SRC in 32 Special made about 1911-1913. What cast bullets do you use and what powder?
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congratulations on that beauty. Thanks for sharing.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt