Lowest Scope Mounts & Rings for Savage 99A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Lowest Scope Mounts & Rings for Savage 99A

Post by Old No7 »

Ahoy the forum from the snowy coast of Maine...

I recently posted that I've got a sweet little 250 Savage 99A (my first .250-3000) coming my way at a decent price from an estate sale down in Texas (Gee, I wonder if it would have been bid higher in the woods of MI, PA, VT or ME...)

Anyway, I do plan to scope it as it has the top tang safety -- and yeah, well, "Old No7" is getting a little older (and not aging as well as the whiskey!) -- so I am looking for some info...

I usually use Leupold scopes and mounts, but their 1-piece bridged mount for the 99 looks "high" to me -- and it's gloss, and all I can find are matte rings and a matte scope. I think this 80's vintage 99 would look better with a gloss scope and mounts.

I'd like something mounted as low as possible as I plan to use either a 2-7X (33mm) Leupold (if I can find one in gloss, that is) or the smaller 2-7X (28mm) Ultralight Leupold, that I have found in gloss.

I've checked a lot of images of scoped 99s, but wanted to confirm what I am seeing...

* It seems like Weaver mounts may be the lowest?

* Anybody ever use LOW Burris Zee/Weaver Rings on Weaver mounts on a 99?

I'm thinking that combination, with the smaller Ultralight Leupold, will give me the lowest possible mounting option.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or feedback.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lowest Scope Mounts & Rings for Savage 99A

Post by ollogger »

Have weaver mount & rings on one 99 & Leupold on another 99A & your right the Leupold
seems a bit high on the gun & I will change it to weaver base & rings, one also wears a 2x7 Leupold
I like the weaver as they just have the classic clean look but a bit harder to keep the cross hairs
in line while snugging it up
The other 2 are not D&T for a scope

ollogger
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

With Redfield mounts and rings, I had to remove the rear sight elevator to accommodate a 4x Weaver Marksman scope.
I don't know how much lower you could get.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My 99/250 real similar to yours came to me with Leupold mount and Leupold 2x7 scope. Besides being a little high, the geometry of the mount/scope combo prevented me pulling the scope back far enough to be "right". I switched to weaver bases/weaver low rings and am happy. Still need to use something (strap-on cheek piece in my case) to be able to get a cheek weld. Rifle may be d&t'd but the stock wasn't really designed for scope use.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had a guy in a Maine deer camp many moons ago that couldn't afford to scope for his Marlin so he duct taped a pair of bino's to the top of the receiver! That's about the lowest mount I've ever seen.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Like others said the Weaver mount is your best option. I have a set on my Savage 99F but I ran into a problem when mounting a Redfield 2x7 33mm scope. The Weaver rings I have on is placing the scope too low that I couldn't put a front scope cover on because my rear sight is the way. I ended up modifying the front cover for now but may explore other options such as putting a nice cheek riser from Levergun Lether Works.

Mainehunter
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Marbles Game getter scope mount. :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nothing made today is as nice, or as low as those cool old Stith mounts! And they are found on Savage 99's more than all the others put together! I'd wait until I could find a Stith/scope combo myself. They're just very cool, and work so well!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

marlinman93 wrote:
Nothing made today is as nice, or as low as those cool old Stith mounts! And they are found on Savage 99's more than all the others put together! I'd wait until I could find a Stith/scope combo myself. They're just very cool, and work so well!
Thanks guys...

Yes, I'm familiar with those Stith mounts and do agree they are "cool" -- and vintage too -- but that's the rub... They won't work on a late model (early 1980's) 99A with the top tang safety.
Savage 99A 250-3000 03b.jpg
From these posts and research done in a gun shop today, I will be using Weaver mounts -- lightweight and low, which is what I'm after.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH