25-35 Hornady leverrevolution ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

25-35 Hornady leverrevolution ammo

Post by Walker »

Hey fellas, Hornady has 25-35 110gr ftx loaded ammo now. Anyone tried it yet?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 25-35 Hornady leverrevolution ammo

Post by AJMD429 »

No, but talk about a modern iteration of an ancient cartridge....!!! That's cool.

I always wanted a Contender in 25-35.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sounds like a great idea, just checked midway no ammo yet but they said the bullet
for reloading is coming soon, may have to give them a try!

Brad
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

What does "ftx" stand for?
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

That's Hornady's abbreviation for Flex Tip bullets. Soft rubber pointed tips allow you to load them in mag tubes and get better ballistics... in theory anyway.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When Hornady saw fit to bring the 32 Special out in the rubber tipped stuff it was kinda assumed Marlin was going to bring the 336XLR out in that chambering as well since they pretty had with all the rest . Well the 32 Special XLR never happened and I think it's fairly safe to assume it ain't gonna happen with the 25-35 either BUMMER !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I can attest to them being good killing bullets in the 30-30 , 35 REM , 308 Marlin Express , 444 , 450 and 45-70 . Got deer with the factory loadings in all those . Never did try the 32 Special although I had the ammo or the 338 Marlin Express or 44 MAG .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I personally think Hornady is beating a dead horse.....95% of 25-35 owners are non-shooters and the remaining 4% of the owners are handloaders who know the 117 Hornady RN is hard to beat and even those guys don't hunt with them. Maybe I'm being pessimistic.---6
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I never shoot factory ammo, but was awful nice of Hornady to make that nice 25/35 brass. Now if they would just give us some 25 Remington brass I would really appreciate them. But those old Rem 14's don't like pointy bullets so they can skip the new gummy tips and just use the old reliable round nose bullet for their ammo.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I ain't buying any of their bullets until they make a run of the 220gr .375" FN bullets. Bah Humbug!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:I personally think Hornady is beating a dead horse.....95% of 25-35 owners are non-shooters and the remaining 4% of the owners are handloaders who know the 117 Hornady RN is hard to beat and even those guys don't hunt with them. Maybe I'm being pessimistic.---6
OMG sacrilige sacrilige you need to cast the Lyman 257325 LOL's !
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

6pt-sika wrote:I can attest to them being good killing bullets in the 30-30 , 35 REM , 308 Marlin Express , 444 , 450 and 45-70 . Got deer with the factory loadings in all those . Never did try the 32 Special although I had the ammo or the 338 Marlin Express or 44 MAG .

From what I hear they work good on deer; what I'm wondering is how they work on bear. I'm concerned they may be a bit "soft" for a tougher skin. :? :?
Merle from PA
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,

.25 Rem brass available here:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... goryId/667?

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

As far as lever guns go, I'm pretty devoted to Winchesters and their clones but if Marlin made a batch of 336s in 25-35 I'd buy one. Something unique like a stainless 336 Texan would really get my attention.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

pshort wrote:Howdy,

.25 Rem brass available here:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... goryId/667?

Paul
Wow! I didn't know Grafs was doing that: 30 and 32 Rem also. Thanks for the info Paul.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Sixgun wrote:I personally think Hornady is beating a dead horse.....95% of 25-35 owners are non-shooters and the remaining 4% of the owners are handloaders who know the 117 Hornady RN is hard to beat and even those guys don't hunt with them. Maybe I'm being pessimistic.---6
In Central and West Texas there are still quite a few .25-35 and a few .25 Remingtons out hunting. Many older hunters shot their first deer with a .25 and set their grandchildren up to do the same.
Our deer are smaller and the small .25's. Work well. For many of us the 100-grain bullets put deer on the ground a little quicker. This with traditional over the heart lung shots. Through a shoulder or in the sticking place the 115-grain Hornady does the trick quickly with an exit wound.

In my experience the FTX bullets open up quickly and tend to wad up if the velocity is high. The FTX penetrates well and the deer drop quickly.
We load the 100-grain bullets in the .25's above 2,400 fops as they did in the 1920's. I think Hornady has a winner for as you say, a small group of hunters. Not starting an argument but there are a few folks who like the .25-35 or .25 Remingtons over the .243 Winchester when the shooting is inside 100-yards. This is due to a combination of muzzle blast and more than a few deer which dropped in their tracks, jumped up and ran off. It can happen with any cartridge but around here the .243 has a reputation for it when using light bullets.
Slim
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I shoot and hunt with two .25-35s, a Savage Model 219 single shot made with a wrecked .30-30 barrel relined to .25-35, and a re-barreled Greener Small Martini that was originally a .310 Cadet re-chambered to .32 Win Special (that really didn't work, folks, but the importer did a bunch anyway, back in the 1960s). I've killed white tails, Columbian blacktails, pigs, and varmints with both. My main problem with the .25-35 is getting my rifles to shoot Barnes or other nonlead bullets well, since CA is requiring them in the hunting areas "near" me ("near" is 100 miles or so....). All of the deer were "bite-sized" does and fork-horn bucks, the pigs were under 200# field dressed, some 'way under. Only had to shoot one of these animals twice. Both rifles are scoped with straight-tube, fixed-power scopes.

I've never taken a shot more than a hundred yards and most were 'way under that. And I don't shoot at running game, except cottontails (and that's with a .410!). A .25-35 Contender carbine is a sweet gun, the handgun version not so much. Match Grade Machine will make you a perfect Contender barrel, to YOUR specs. They're nice folks, over in Utah.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

earlmck wrote:I never shoot factory ammo, but was awful nice of Hornady to make that nice 25/35 brass. Now if they would just give us some 25 Remington brass I would really appreciate them. But those old Rem 14's don't like pointy bullets so they can skip the new gummy tips and just use the old reliable round nose bullet for their ammo.
I thought Remington 14 spiral magazines were specifically designed for pointed bullets?
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Loaded my 25-35 with Barnes 100 grain bullet seated almost to the lands for my rifle with H380 which while it seemed to work could be better.Think I need a faster powder as I had a fair amount of soot on the necks.Haven't loaded with a case with such a slow taper before so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it. Had the wrong insert in the front sight for the target used and 60 year old eyes but it did show promise. Unfortunately by the time Hornady's load is available here recently passed idiot gun bills will mean I need to have a permit to buy it and since it is not a "green" bullet why bother when I roll my own.Would be nice to try if it isn't loaded too hot.