If you could go back

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

If you could go back

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

If you could go back and be the age you are now but the year you were born would you.
I think i would,seem like things were so simple when i was a kid but maybe that's why .i was just a kid.Maybe being a adult in 1955 was harder then it is today at my age in 2016.

what do you guys think,remember we were looking through kids eyes back then not adults.makes me wonder what if??
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: If you could go back

Post by 1894cfan »

HEII NO! People were just as ignorant back then as now, and NEARLY just as dumb. Couldn't see the tip of their noses even if they looked in a mirror! :?

Then again, you could walk into a gun shop, or any shop that sold guns, lay your CASH down and walk out with a brand new Marlin or Winchester lever gun without having to fill out TOO much paper work or go through a background check, AND NO WAITING PERIOD! Heck, you could even WALK home with it slung over your shoulder without getting accosted by the local law enforcment. And if you did, he'd likely drool over it just as much as you do. :D

P.S. 1955 for me too. Back then, my Dad was driving taxi when he wasn't working for the SPRR (SOUTHERN PACIFIC RAIL ROAD).
Last edited by 1894cfan on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well, I still think like I'm 18, then I stand up and my knees hurt, back is killing me and then my mind says HEY DUMMY YOU ARE OLD! So no I don't think I'd go back. Now I'm a bit younger, circa '69, but I still wouldn't go back. If I could go back, maybe post civil war so I could meet my grandfather, he died long before I was born!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Be 63 in 1953? When my doctor was likely to recommend Camel cigarettes as good for my throat? Naw.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I would have treated Lisa McKay and Sharon Johnson with more respect.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

No, the shock would kill my mom...... :shock:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No...no...no....while times were simpler, history and our minds usually only remember the good. I grew up in a nice neighborhood in the country where people were not rich but not bad off. Everybody was content with what they had...... nice schools, clean clothes, new bicycles, their own bedroom....you get it.

But......there might have been one family in 20 that had more than one car. Vacations were day trips to the beach......entertainment was the drive in theater....hardly anyone knew anyone who was on an airplane.......one black and white TV with three channels....the dads all worked 10-12 hour days, six days a week......and here's the horror and worst part of it all.........having more than say 3 guns was only for the wealthy....there was one rifle, one shotgun and I don't recall handguns. When a male member reached 12, he bought his own gun from paper route or gas cutting money.

In the old days, if you did not work, you did not eat. We have many "cushions" to fall back on today. Healthcare is great, every member of age has a car...and a nice one. We throw out our underwear when they get dirty, pair of jeans for every day of the week.....multiple pets if we so choose...FIOS tv, cellphones etc...etc...etc..

Maybe life is toooooo easy today. Just look on the news.....protestors demanding free pelosi and even computer forum members changing their name to suit the stuff they buy.-----Mr. Mould
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

To be 66 in 1950? Not on your life. That would have meant that I would have served and survived WWI. Likely would have served with my Grandfather at Gallipoli... I wouldn't wish that stuff on folks I DON'T like! Besides, the skin doc knows how to treat my skin cancer now, so I still have things like a nose and two ears... even if they've been whittled down a little! BTW, why do they call it "freezing" when it burns like he77! Yes, I just got home from seein' him! On the plus side, I would not have seen the likes of Obummer and Cap't Calls' horse!

Sixgun has it right! (BTW, change your name back... you're stuck with "Sixgun")!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK Master.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I had it pretty good as a kid growing up when I look back. All my buds agree.
When I do the math, if I was 49 in 1967, I would have probably still been trying to drink away WW2 and Korea.........if I'd lived.
Now don't get me wrong, it would have been an honor to have served for such a cause with such a caliber of people, and to be a part of "the greatest generation".
Thing is, this life has been pretty good too. A great wife, and three great sons.
I have more than I thought I ever would. And strangely, I owe much of it to the people like I would be if I went back. I'm thankful every day.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I'd would absolutely go back to 18yrs old, But only if I was born a Millionaire.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well said Jay......sure wish you and I lived closer.------6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote:Well said Jay......sure wish you and I lived closer.------6
Thanks Jack. Yeah, so do I. My wife's aunt came up to visit this fall. We will be going down though. The wife already said we will make time for a good visit.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Let's see, to be 64 in 1952 ........... that would make being borne in 1888 ....... I sure wood.

But I'd sure rather be in the AZ territory than in the crummy state of IL.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Are you kidding. Took too much work to get things done then.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

If I could be 10 and know what I know now, maybe.

I would spend every penny I could earn on the surplus Lugers, broom handle Mausers, Webleys, Browning High Powers, and Springfields in all of the adds in the big three outdoor magazines.
Then I would buy IPO's of McDonald's, and Wal-Mart.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What I get out of this is you guys are all younger.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Let's see, to be 64 in 1952 ........... that would make being borne in 1888 ....... I sure wood.

But I'd sure rather be in the AZ territory than in the crummy state of IL.
I tend to agree with you. Life was harder, but you'd be in way better shape as you got older...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

That would make me 67 in 1949 and born in 1882. Since I would still have been me, I dare say I would have wanted to be in the Army and with that birth date I could have served in both the Boer War and WWI.

I suppose all I can say about that is that I'm pleased that I survived, but who knows what shape I would have been in . .
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

1939 less 77 would make me born in1862, only 3 years younger than my Grandad. Let's see, trains horses, if you got pneumonia you were dead. Naw, don't think so.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

No way.
In the '50s people died from rotten teeth and appendicitis and breech babies. The cars sucked (steering and brakes and no seat belts). No Victoria's Secret. Nuff 'said.
Good deodorant and comfortable socks? Forget it. Decent coffee and Toasterstrudels? I cannot do without.
:shock:
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think 1946 would be an exciting time in the US. War just over, boom starts (industrial and baby), most looking forward to Peace...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...