"Hacksaw Ridge" Movie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"Hacksaw Ridge" Movie

Post by Old No7 »

I checked, but I didn't see that anyone has posted about this WWII movie yet...

I went to see Hacksaw Ridge with my son-in-law this evening, and all I can say is "Wow".

Incredible movie.

With an incredible true story behind it, which makes it so compelling.

The acting and character development were well done, in my opinion, with really strong performances by the lead actor (Andrew Garfield) and the supporting cast.

What that young man was put through before the bullets started to fly is amazing enough, but it's what he did while they were flying -- and then especially in the dark of the night after they'd stopped -- that is truly amazing. What's that they say about "Character" being what you do at night, in the dark, when you think no one is looking?

The combat scenes were raw, heart-pounding, gruesome, heroic, explosive, bloody and all that, with some new and interesting camera angles being used -- like mounting a GoPro to the side of a BAR or the top of a Tommy Gun and watching the actions cycle -- as brass ejects out the side and the enemy downrange gets mowed down.

My SIL and I both thought that Saving Private Ryan took combat movies up a notch in realism, and we think maybe this one took another jump up too -- not that either of us has ever been in combat, mind you -- but we didn't find much to critique. It was tremendous.

We really liked this movie. Putting Mel Gibson's politics or personal issues/history aside, this movie was really well done and does a great job of telling the story of a WWII Vet that I didn't know much about before now. But now I am glad I do.

My wife always kids me about seeing "yet another war movie" when the ending is already known... True enough, but there's a lot of dots to be connected in the vast middle between Pearl Harbor and VJ Day, and this movie fills in the gaps of many hero's -- and one anti-hero, who just wanted to serve his country and help his fellow soldiers -- that we hadn't heard about.

I really liked this film. It was really great.

An old saying says "If you're reading this, thank a teacher; and if you're not reading it in German, then thank a soldier." Well, I think we can add "...or not reading it in Japanese" to that last part too. So "thanks" to all the vets who have served, who are serving now, and to those younger men & women who will serve some day too.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Hacksaw Ridge" Movie

Post by FWiedner »

The previews look good.

Unfortunately, Andrew Garfield is an anti-Christian, anti-gun Democrat.

I'd like to see the movie, but it's unfortunate that I'd prefer that a puke movie star never see a dime of my money.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's received good reviews over on the SASS Wire, politics of those involved aside. I'll rent or buy it when it comes out on Blu-Ray...

Since Holly-weird is mostly anti-gun leftist pinkoes if I let politics determine what I watched, I wouldn't watch much.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

Griff wrote:It's received good reviews over on the SASS Wire, politics of those involved aside. I'll rent or buy it when it comes out on Blu-Ray...

Since Holly-weird is mostly anti-gun leftist pinkoes if I let politics determine what I watched, I wouldn't watch much.
So read a book! I personally will not contribute to those I perceive as my enemies.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote:It's received good reviews over on the SASS Wire, politics of those involved aside. I'll rent or buy it when it comes out on Blu-Ray...

Couldn't agree more! If the topic were antigun, and not something I enjoy, I'd simply pass. But I wont let a single actor's personal politics stop me from watching a good movie. I'll probably also wait for it to come out on DVD.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have been wanting to see it. Thanks for the review.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I will wait for it on broadcast tv.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Interesting replies...

I'd still highly suggest it, if you like to watch gritty war movies. :wink:

I did think of one minor critique in the filming though... I don't recall any scenes where the "ping" of a Garand clip being ejected was heard, but there were many in active use, especially during the massed "banzai charges".

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Most Hollywood actors live in a fantasy world, so their view on real life doesn't count for much except to their cloud cuckoo fans....
However this film sounds like a good'un ...... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Except for those I find personally repugnant, I usually just enjoy the movie.
Rosie, Whoopie, and Hanoi Jane, among others, are off limit repugnants. DeCrapio is almost on the list. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking forward to seeing it. I wish Hollywood would spend more time and money highlighting true heroes, like Desmond Doss, versus glorifying the sickness of our society...
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Old No7 wrote:I checked, but I didn't see that anyone has posted about this WWII movie yet...

I went to see Hacksaw Ridge with my son-in-law this evening, and all I can say is "Wow".

Incredible movie.

With an incredible true story behind it, which makes it so compelling.

The acting and character development were well done, in my opinion, with really strong performances by the lead actor (Andrew Garfield) and the supporting cast.

What that young man was put through before the bullets started to fly is amazing enough, but it's what he did while they were flying -- and then especially in the dark of the night after they'd stopped -- that is truly amazing. What's that they say about "Character" being what you do at night, in the dark, when you think no one is looking?

The combat scenes were raw, heart-pounding, gruesome, heroic, explosive, bloody and all that, with some new and interesting camera angles being used -- like mounting a GoPro to the side of a BAR or the top of a Tommy Gun and watching the actions cycle -- as brass ejects out the side and the enemy downrange gets mowed down.

My SIL and I both thought that Saving Private Ryan took combat movies up a notch in realism, and we think maybe this one took another jump up too -- not that either of us has ever been in combat, mind you -- but we didn't find much to critique. It was tremendous.

We really liked this movie. Putting Mel Gibson's politics or personal issues/history aside, this movie was really well done and does a great job of telling the story of a WWII Vet that I didn't know much about before now. But now I am glad I do.

My wife always kids me about seeing "yet another war movie" when the ending is already known... True enough, but there's a lot of dots to be connected in the vast middle between Pearl Harbor and VJ Day, and this movie fills in the gaps of many hero's -- and one anti-hero, who just wanted to serve his country and help his fellow soldiers -- that we hadn't heard about.

I really liked this film. It was really great.

An old saying says "If you're reading this, thank a teacher; and if you're not reading it in German, then thank a soldier." Well, I think we can add "...or not reading it in Japanese" to that last part too. So "thanks" to all the vets who have served, who are serving now, and to those younger men & women who will serve some day too.

Old No7
I will agree on the review. Got to watch it with some friends from MARSOC before the last (SHORT) OCONUS trip we all thought it was GREAT.
It is not the critic who counts
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

What that young man was put through before the bullets started to fly is amazing enough
Believe they over emphasized this in the movie, guess they were trying to make a point.

Only read reviews, but still would like to see it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

magyars4 wrote:

So read a book! I personally will not contribute to those I perceive as my enemies.
Since actors are usually paid a healthy advance on their role, residuals and whether they get a % of any profits depends greatly on their "draw" to an audience, your paying to see a movie has little impact on them receiving any monies from you. But, any items you might buy in your everyday life whether they are featured in a movie for a fee, or advertised on tv, it is already assumed that you do so because of such featuring and advertising... you're already contributing. The whole production crew and supporting industries depend on you watching movies... condemning those folks to the unemployment lines will guarantee that you'll be paying more for their support than your $9 theatre ticket.

I don't need snarky comments... I already read 2 -3 books a week.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I doubt Mel Gibson has a litmus test when he is looking for acting talent to complete a project.
I was unfamiliar with Garfield, but found a couple of quotes from his IMDB profile -- and his family is Jewish on his paternal side.

[on his religious upbringing] ...My father is Jewish and that side of my family is Jewish, but he's nonpracticing and left the faith as a young boy, of his own volition. My mom is a kind of pantheist, and my father became an atheist but I think he's now coming around to some kind of higher power... I was raised with all this space around me, spiritually speaking. And that has really continued, but what it engendered in me is a great deep hunger for answers, and I've been a spiritual seeker since I was a kid. I was always fascinated with people like Mahatma Gandhi and Jesus, and John Lennon and Martin Luther King.

[on choosing to play Desmond Doss in 'Hacksaw Ridge'] I sat with Mel and talked at length about it, and my only concern was: I don't want to do this film if the message is , 'Christianity is the only way'. And he agreed. It was vital to me that we communicated that Desmond's faith was deeper than any dogma, deeper than any set of man-made rules, but that he was in touch with a deep knowledge in his bones, as opposed to any ideology.

I think if I had to vet every actor in every movie I consider seeing, I'd mostly be watching test patterns on my tube TV at home.
(Remember test patterns?)
8)
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 33wcfshooter »

Looks like a good movie. There's one actor in it we do need to support. Vince Vaughn is a gun guy he was on a show (don't know what one I saw it on YouTube I think) and was talking about the second amendment and how he supported it. There's still a few good one's in Hollywood.