Face palm incident #278

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Face palm incident #278

Post by mikld »

I cleaned and painted my "gun work" bench last week and bought a nice "door mat". Only problem, it was dark charcoal. I was working on a friend's M92 and all them itty-bitty screws are dark blued steel! They just disappeared in the mat. I now have a new mat for my truck... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Face palm incident #278

Post by GunnyMack »

That's what is known as a 'D'oh' moment?
When I was taking my Beretta armorers course the instructor started to explain how to NOT loose the pins and springs, of course while he was talking there were pins & springs flying all over the place!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Buy a magnetic parts tray from the auto parts store. I have three in different sizes. They save my knees from crawling around on the floor trying to find an itty bitty screw by feel.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

IF :lol: you drop something on the floor, grab a flashlight and shine it ALONG the floor and you SHOULD be able to see the part by the shadow it leaves. HTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

williamranks wrote:Buy a magnetic parts tray from the auto parts store. I have three in different sizes. They save my knees from crawling around on the floor trying to find an itty bitty screw by feel.
Yep. Mine is one of my favorite tools...!
1894cfan wrote:IF :lol: you drop something on the floor, grab a flashlight and shine it ALONG the floor and you SHOULD be able to see the part by the shadow it leaves. HTH
Not always........if I could play golf as well as I can hit a 4mm baseboard-gap on the third bounce with an irreplaceable 3mm spring, I'd be a champion....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A BFM is invaluable.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

i keep a very clean gunroom with one of those office mats in front of the bench and I still lose tiny screws, springs, indents, whatever. I was complaining about this to my buddy, "The Gunny" and he surprised me a week later with these magnets that he bought at Harbor Freight. The one with the roller is so strong I can use it outside in the grass to find stuff.-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That thing with the rollers is so strong you can find things you haven't even lost yet.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Somewhere is a stainless steel nipple to one of 1851s... It might be under the couch...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

+1 to the magnetic trays and I have a large magnet on a handle sorta set up like a driver. Still drop things though and when I bend over I pass out so I have couple of smaller magnets on extension handles. Sorry about that nipple but you probably need to buy a new set of Tresos anyway.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Another thing that can be of assistance is to get a shallow box, do disassembly in the box, any parts that try to reach orbit hit the box and normally stay within the box.
If need be also can drape a towel over the parts once a pin is started and if it's spring loaded then it hits the towel. Only problem is ya gotta work by feel.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

All the hints are very helpful and I've tried most of them. I used to rebuild carburetors as a large part of my job (remember those?), and alternators and generators too. One hint I used was a fiberglass cafeteria tray. That would keep a lot of small parts from walking away, but did little for flying springs. I also used a beer can flat (those cardboard boxes that were just 2" high) as a backstop.

My "bench mat" was a spur of thr moment buy which turned out to be one of those "D'oh" moments, that as a lifelong machinist/mechanic needed to be confessed! I now have a cream colored mat ($2.99) that will work well...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

For years, I have utilized magnetic large and small parts trays, a magnet on a long fixed handle, and a telescoping handled magnet to find screws, pins, etc., on the floor.

But I 'nevva' thought about one of those wheeled magnetic picker-uppers. Just might take a trip to the local Harbor Fright tool store. Thanks for the idea 6Gun!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote:For years, I have utilized magnetic large and small parts trays, a magnet on a long fixed handle, and a telescoping handled magnet to find screws, pins, etc., on the floor.

But I 'nevva' thought about one of those wheeled magnetic picker-uppers. Just might take a trip to the local Harbor Fright tool store. Thanks for the idea 6Gun!
+1.....Fishing reels seem to explode when I work on them..... :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Whether working on watch bracelets or small gun parts, I lay down a paper towel. Black parts show up very easy, and the rough texture prevents the small pins from rolling under stuff. -Brian
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

+1 on the paper towel. I also keep a flashlight and an extendable magnet handy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

My smithing/cleaning bench and my loading bench are covered in green outdoor carpet. It's cheap, thick enough to prevent rolling of small parts, shallow enough to not engulf them, provides good contrast and reflectivity, easy to install with a staple gun.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

williamranks wrote:Buy a magnetic parts tray from the auto parts store. I have three in different sizes. They save my knees from crawling around on the floor trying to find an itty bitty screw by feel.
+1

Harbor Freight has them as well. In fact, they often have a coupon for a free one with any purchase. :D