M1A Scout rifle complete!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

M1A Scout rifle complete!

Post by 2ndovc »

Really just screwing around w/ imgur, but I picked up a new Vortex Scout scope for my M1A. Hope to get it sighted in this week.
I had a Leupold on my SOCOM and was going to get another for the Squad Scout but for half the cost I thought I'd try the Vortex. A friend that shoots long range competition swears by them. So far I like it. Bright and clear and has a 2-7 magnification that the Leupold doesn't have. Not really necessary on a scout scope but at 3X I really like the sight picture.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: M1A Scout rifle complete!

Post by Blaine »

That's a real dandy 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:

The problem with a 3X scout scope is a greater difficulty keeping both eyes open. 2.5x is about the limit for normal eyes.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Have gone to Vortex on a couple of systems they are working well. The scout is a GREAT set up.
It is not the critic who counts
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been a big fan of the Scout rifle for years. This puts me back up to three of them, a 10/22, .450 Marlin and this one to replace the SOCOM. Besides, you have to cover up that barrel mount. It's a real Waffle Maker when the barrel heats up!

BlaineG wrote:That's a real dandy 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:

The problem with a 3X scout scope is a greater difficulty keeping both eyes open. 2.5x is about the limit for normal eyes.....

Well it is 2-7 and Who said anything about being normal?

Plus it's nice to dial it up for a little looking around.

jb 8)

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:That's a real dandy 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:

I can't understand this. I have always kept both eyes open for every type of sight, including a leupold dialed out to 7x. and until I immigrated to this campfire, I didn't know that there was any other way. Must be one of very few instructions I ever paid attention to . . . :D :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nice setup
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I have to close my left eye it is weaker then the right and throws my Ame way off.friends tell me keep both open is the correct was,ya thats true except if your eyes are out of wack.I always said let me poke my finger in your left eye then you shoot with both open and see what i am talking about.
a old guy once told me shoot the way you do best even if you close both eyes.and i guess thats about the truth. if it works for you do it.my wife shoots left handed cant shoot right and she is right handed. but she dose that walks by when we are shooting picks up a rifle she never seen before bangs the target and walks away like its a piece of cake.we just shake are heads,seen her do that 100 times and am use to it. shoots golf balls of a string at 70 yards first shot and leaves ,don't try it twice.just laughs at us and saids something smart like whats so hard about that.
and to see her aiming all crooked and wobbly you would think she couldn't hit anything.that the Sue Indian in her i guess. I call her Indian name schwa who shoots funny and she gets mad at me. :lol: :lol:

Thats a nice rifle there by the way.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

What type of mount did you use to get the scope into the "Scout" position, please?
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The mount came installed on the barrel from the factory. The rings are Weaver, with one offset to make the mounting options a little longer or shorter depending on the scope.

Hope this helps;

Don't know if the mounts are available from Springfield or not. Worth a check though.

jb 8)

Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thank you, sir, for taking the time to reply and to accompany it with pictures! It certainly is helpful. I cannot find the mount listed separately on the Springfield site; I guess it would require the new handguard along with it as well. I'll do some more digging when I have some spare time.

Thanks again!
Regan
jwm
Levergunner

Post by jwm »

I'm more of a lurker than a poster on here, but this thread caught my eye. I have a Norinco M305 (a Chinese clone of the M1A which is very popular up here in Canuckistan), and have had it set up as a scout-style rifle for the past year. These guns are not known for terrific accuracy, and the several that I have owned in the past have all been roughly 2.5 to 3 MOA guns. This one, with essentially no tweaking on my part, does about 1.5 to 2 MOA with its favourite South African surplus. Best of all, it is an honest 1MOA rifle with some inexpensive factory softpoint hunting ammo. I took this small buck with it a couple of days ago, my first-ever time hunting with it. I'm more of a bolt or lever guy, and I doubt I'll use this for hunting much in the future, but it was something I'd wanted to try for a while; kind of cool! :)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool! I'm thinking I'll take mice boar hunting. I found a place here in Ohio about three hours away. Going to check it out this spring. :D

jb 8)

Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: JWM, how did you achieve the "scout scope" mount on your rifle?

I have a pre-ban Springfield M1A that I'd like to mount a scout scope on. As I'm getting older I've had to put scopes on a couple of my leverguns, and the scout scope concept solves a lot of the problems for me that the traditional scope mounting causes. I'd like to try it on the only autoloading rifle I own, the M1A. (The rest are all levers or single-shots).

Thanks,
Regan
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Another option is the Ultimak mount. It replaces the entire handguard, giving more "rail estate". I have the SA Scout and it came with the mount that is on 2ndovc's rifle. I switched to the Ultimak because it's lower and draws less heat from the barrel.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was wondering the same thing. Looks like one of these.
http://www.ultimak.com/m8.htm

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's the critter my good man! Another good mod is the sling configuration. I put a Magpul sling attachment on the Ultimak and put a stock M14 front swivel behind the Butt plate. This allows a 2 point carry that really eliminates the heavy feel of the M1A.
jwm
Levergunner

Post by jwm »

Yes, that's an Ultimak on my gun. I looked at the Amega Ranges and the M14.ca mounts as well, and was actually going to go with the latter since it's Canadian-made, but I found the Ultimak on a gunshow table and took it home. It installs very easily and works beautifully, keeps the scope nice and low. If you are planning on using your gun for any hunting, I would avoid the HiLux scope (the one mounted on my rifle in the pic). It's worked fine for plinking and targets since I put it on there, and it has held up to over 500 rounds fired, but it has an extremely narrow field of view. I found it so irritating that after the first day on stand with it, I almost removed the scope entirely. Now that the season is over for me, I will be switching over to a Leupold fixed- or variable-power scout scope. Less magnification, but much more useful overall for hunting. I have those scopes on my Steyr Scout and my "scoutified" Marlin SBL, and they are pretty close to perfect for my uses. Weaver makes a little fixed 4x that's also nice, but I want access to the lower magnification power (2x or 2.5x).

OldWin, that sling mounting idea is genius! I've gotta try that. :) The M14 was the most miserable-carrying rifle I have ever hunted with.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha thank you kind sir!
Trust me, you won't be sorry. I have humped my 18" M1A all over fairly "big woods" and hills here, and on snowshoes. It transforms the rifle.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks, everyone, for your help with the scope mount questions! I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me.

Take care,
Regan