I remember when (keep this going)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I remember when (keep this going)

Post by Blaine »

65 GRENDEL wrote:I remember when I could start for the Jiffy Store on my bike and pick up enough Soda bottles on the side of the road that I could buy all the Candy (junk food) I wanted and leave with money in my pocket.
A big bottle of Red Pop, and a big bag of Sweet Tarts was 25 cents. Just about right to get me through the paper route.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
65 GRENDEL
Levergunner

Post by 65 GRENDEL »

Those were the days.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jdad wrote:I remember when your high beams were controlled by a push button, on the far left side of the floor board.
Hey now! Mine still is! And the p/u out in the barn has the starter button to the right of the foot feed! And a knob on the dash to adjust the choke! Oh, what's a choke, you ask? LOOK IT UP! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

mohavesam wrote:I sat in church (with my feet not touching the floor) and watched our pastor call everyone with a tatoo to the front - while he forgave them for violating God's will and repeating vows to not place ink upon their skin ever again.
- Back then I guess it was only servicemen (and merchant marines?) who had tatoos anyway.
Service men and Merchant Marines, ink was likely the least of their sins. From a fellow who comes from a Navy family with the exception of one who couldn't pass the physical so he joined the Merchant Marines. Ever here of the Murmansk run?

Edited, Grandpa was a China Sailor. And knowing all the good and bad about that, I'm still proud of him.
Last edited by jeepnik on Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Human remotes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OI get a King James AV1611 Bible and read Leviticus chapter 19 verse 28, that should answer your question about where he got that bit from.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JerryB wrote:OI get a King James AV1611 Bible and read Leviticus chapter 19 verse 28,

Sorry, When it comes to OT I use Hebrew.

ושרט לנפש לא תתנו
בבשרכם וכתבת קעקע
לא תתנו בכם אני
יהוה׃
JerryB wrote:that should answer your question about where he got that bit from.
So, I suppose he told everyone to grow payot (פֵּאָה) (sideburn curls) and beards too? (see vs. 27)

לא תקפו פאת ראשכם
ולא תשחית את פאת
זקנך׃

Note that vs. 28 is specifically prohibiting mourning scarification, to include taking on tattoos to honor the dead - kind of like how people today drive around in mobile tombstones with "in loving memory of young dead guy" on the back windows of their vehicles.

Latin puts it in perspective a bit:

19:28 et super mortuo non incidetis carnem vestram neque figuras aliquas et stigmata facietis vobis ego Dominus

"stigmata facietis vobis" does in fact translate to "marks upon you", but the term "stigmata" contextually again refers to "death marks", (see also "stigmata" re: Christ v. St. Thomas) as was a common practice in Ba'el funerary/mourning rituals.

But really... Levitican law? You can't just pick and choose. Levitican Law is an all or nothing thing. That's why Christ came to Fulfill the (Jewish/Levitican) Law...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

:D

Yeah, and I remember the gallons of milk in glass bottles with a cardboard stopper and paper cap. 25 cents deposit on those bottles!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

claybob86 wrote:glass bottles with a cardboard stopper and paper cap...
They are called "Pogs".. and a few years ago those round discs had some sort of pre-teen value so various Game companies started selling "pogs" that had no connection to milk bottles...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

did not pepsi taste better back when it came in a bottle.and not even the ones with the bottle with foam on them had the same taste.
I know all about the sugar change , a good friend worked and retired from pepsi and drinks the pepsi throw back but it's still not like chipping a tooth on the old 16 oz bottle while drinking it as mom drove you home from the store and popped the clutch a bit to fast. and what was a seat belt back then but a futuristic dream.You could even ride in the back if it was a pickup truck,not a SUV 4 door thingy they got now that cost 50 grand.and no chain to hold the tale gate. :lol: :lol:
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Riding home from high school in my buddy's '50 Merc with a hopped up flathead. Hanging out at the Gulf station across from the drive-in theater where I could get a Pepsi, a Drake's Devil Dog and a game on the pinball machine for a quarter and have 2 cents left over.

Coke always tasted better in the small glass bottle which cost 6 cents + 3 cent deposit. We always asked a customer if he were going to drink it here or take it with him so we could charge the deposit or not.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:...You could even ride in the back if it was a pickup truck...
I learned to not stick my head over the roof to look down the highway. A grasshopper to the forehead at 70mph makes a lasting impression! :twisted:
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

your lucky you did not have your mouth open.or we would be calling you grasshopper and you would be rubbing your knees together to talk. :lol: :lol:
JOHNNY WACKO
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Riding home standing on the bed of a flatbed truck with no sideboards after picking cucumbers and squash for $.50/hr ($.75/hr. if we really humped).

Hoeing corn in the hot sun while the farmer ran his 2 cylinder JD with a cultivator and sang hymns at the top of his voice.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

turning the sheller hooked to a 55 gal drum as 1 sister husked the corn and the other fed the machine,still have the tool you put on your hand to grad the husk with.
JOHNNY WACKO
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I remember when folks didn't sit around a cry, both men and women, when the person they voted for didn't get elected.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

When corn in a sack was shell corn, not whole kernel corn, that stuff comes in a can
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hawkeye2 wrote: Hanging out at the Gulf station across from the drive-in theater where I could get a Pepsi, a Drake's Devil Dog and a game on the pinball machine for a quarter and have 2 cents left over.
"Devil Dogs" you really brought back some memories.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
jdad wrote:I remember when your high beams were controlled by a push button, on the far left side of the floor board.
Hey now! Mine still is! And the p/u out in the barn has the starter button to the right of the foot feed! And a knob on the dash to adjust the choke! Oh, what's a choke, you ask? LOOK IT UP! :P :lol:
I switched out some of the early automatic chokes for the manual cable kits a couple different times. The knob/cable just worked mo betta....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

My cousin and my friend to this day Pecker deem and I skipped the first day of school when we went from middle to high school and he put his pap's Ithaca 16g s/s shotgun that folded in 1/2 that i still own today in his back pocket when he left home that morning and we spent the day at the river bottom shooting grown hogs out of a 60 falcon. and the next day getting call to the office and got my first of many 5 swats like a man and stood at the office door in the hall for 3 days and became one of 3 the most respected guys in 7th grade.
boy could that high school principle hit herded that the middle school 1.who after we got into a fight over the lunch lady sending me to the office every day gave me 3 swats a day at lunch time for almost a month till I wore him down and he stopped hitting me in the hall 3 swats in front of the hole middle school. I would eat lunch get up walk to his office and say lets go lard butt and go out and lean on the wall in the hall hands first and take 3 swats and then go set down at my desk.My butt was black and blue for months. BUT HE GAVE UP before i did.
he thought drilling holes in the paddle would brake me,but it did brake the paddle.
he dies a drunk,i would kick his bar stole out from under him every time i seen him drunk as a skunk laying on the bar face down for years .He got caught humping a young girl in his office and got fired.

I was known as a guy you could wop but never brake,i would be back the next day till i won or they surrendered to me all through school.and still to this day people talk about that about me.I never had to wait in line at lunch time or be woke up in study hall by anyone. Teachers walked around me all 125 pounds of me in the halls.Carried my smokes in my shirt pocket and dared any 1 to take them. and i won,they all ended up drunks or fired for sex with students and i knew that and never bowed to any of them EVER. wore my cut off blue jen jacket with FIRE painted on the back every day. My last name is Flaim(flame). even though they wever forbidden to ware in school.
JOHNNY WACKO
RandyC
Levergunner

Post by RandyC »

Cardboard fans in church.

"Yes, sir" and "Yes, ma'm" to grownups.

Taking your hat off indoors or meeting a lady.

Using your left arm as a turn signal.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Any of Ya'll old enuff to remember the lesson about peeing of the back of flatbed truck on a dirt road???
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

claybob86 wrote::D

Yeah, and I remember the gallons of milk in glass bottles with a cardboard stopper and paper cap. 25 cents deposit on those bottles!

Gallon? Dad worked in dairies when I was a kid. I remember quarts, but no gallon bottles. The racks the delivery men used were sized for the quart bottles. They also were designed so pints wouldn't slip out. Pints were usually cream and half & half. Buttermilk could be had in quarts or pints.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

The smell of every school lunch room i was ever in. :roll:
JOHNNY WACKO
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jeepnik wrote:

Gallon? Dad worked in dairies when I was a kid. I remember quarts, but no gallon bottles. The racks the delivery men used were sized for the quart bottles. They also were designed so pints wouldn't slip out. Pints were usually cream and half & half. Buttermilk could be had in quarts or pints.
Yep, the gallons came from the grocery store. Never saw a milk man deliver gallons, just quarts.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

I remember taking my cub scout knife to school for show and tell :D :shock:

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Dad sent me to the corner store to buy his smokes for him.
They sold low alcoholic beer (1.5 %) to kids
TVs had a vertical and horizontal hold knob.
You could bike down high street with a gun on your back.
The police would happily beat up the crooks as a way of keeping down crime. (mainly the members of one family in town)
Being hit by my teachers (regularly)
Using asbestos mats in science class with the gas burner.
Child labor - actually encouraged!
Shooting birds in my backyard with a slug-gun and not having the police coming around.
The Flintstones in Black and White.
Listening to the moon landings on a radio at school. (or did I?)
Coca Cola which could rust a nail.
Last edited by KiwiKev on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Learning how to double clutch in order to downshift on a non-synchronized transmission. Learning how to sharpen a knife on the bottom of a coffee mug.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

If 3 guys skipped lunch you had enough money to drive a 63 ford galaxy around till midnight with a 390.
pushing a 65 mustang out of the school parking lot so not to be heard with glass packs.Then pop the clutch + burning out when you hit the street and getting caught any way.
JOHNNY WACKO
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

when tv got only three or four channels, maybe six on a clear day, now with cable and dish, you can watch till you get the zombie stare. :shock:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

JerryB wrote:Any of Ya'll old enuff to remember the lesson about peeing of the back of flatbed truck on a dirt road???
no! how does it go? :oops:
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I remember when homosexuals kept their activities private and hidden. Then the 1980's arrived along with gay pride parades.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I remember when movies arrived at the theater in metal boxes of 3 reels of 25 minutes each and had to be spliced together onto the big 60 minute reels. The projectionist had to watch for the dots in the upper right corner of the screen to know when to switch the other projector on. The big reel then had to be rewound.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

rossim92 wrote:
JerryB wrote:Any of Ya'll old enuff to remember the lesson about peeing of the back of flatbed truck on a dirt road???
no! how does it go? :oops:
not while moving..... :lol:
JOHNNY WACKO
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

claybob86 wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

Yep, the gallons came from the grocery store. Never saw a milk man deliver gallons, just quarts.
Considering what dad did for a living, it explains why I don't remember gallons.

What, no one has mentioned the Good Humor Man or, out here at least, the Helms Bakery truck?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote:What, no one has mentioned the Good Humor Man or, out here at least, the Helms Bakery truck?
Now that you have, I don't have to! Loved the smell of the Helm's truck!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I remember when we would follow the mail man around the neighborhood and help him deliver the mail. He had a huge leather bag on a three wheeled cart. And, there was a drop box that was refilled at some point during the day because they had TWO deliveries a day.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I grew up next door to one of the many sawmills that used to be here, and I remember many of the logging trucks coming in with a full load that was just three or four logs, with an occasional one-log load.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jeepnik wrote:
What, no one has mentioned the Good Humor Man or, out here at least, the Helms Bakery truck?
I don't think the ice cream trucks were called Good Humor where I grew up, but whoever it was, the sound of that bell was ELECTRIFYING! Run into house at top speed, beg for a dime, run back out at top speed and catch the truck before it got away. Those popsicles came out of there so cold your tongue would stick to 'em! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

JohnnyWacko must have tried it!!!!!!!!!! I learned by watching my cousin try it.

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Driving to school with a shotgun in the gun rack so me and my buddies could go hunt pheasants after school.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i remember when my parents had a 1964 ford falcon and i used to stand up in the front seat. my mom had an accident and i kissed the front metal dash mighty hard. that might explain a few things about me ! :shock:
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I kissed a few in my day also. :lol: :lol:
JOHNNY WACKO
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Ironsights wrote:Image

FYI: (Geek Alert...)

I remember TV test patterns being alternating wide vertical bars of the primary colors.

I remember (in parochial elementary school) Sister Mary Elephant laying a wooden ruler repeatedly across the knuckles of the extended hands of (us) miscreants, whose behavior in class was somewhat less than exemplary. ;)

I remember buying/building a crystal radio kit, before a standard radio became a household appliance of ours.

I remember getting out first TV set about 1951 (IIRC, it had a 7" screen).

I remember listening to late nite (after 8PM) radio programs like Gangbusters, Gunsmoke, The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet & such - at least until one of my parents caught me listening after I went to bed. :roll:

I remember being forced by my school to wear knickers (knee pants worn with knee socks) to Kindergarten (UGH !)

I remember getting my first 2-wheel bicycle only after joining a Boy Scout group based in the next town (so I could attend meetings).

The best thing I remember is spending my weekly allowance ($1) by going (5 miles) to the movie section (2 city blocks of theaters) in city of Mount Vernon (NY) on Saturday mornings, where/when cartoons & John Wayne movies ran in endless loops - which translated to going to as many theaters as I could ( $0.10 admission each), watching whatever until the loop go to where I came in, then moving on to the next theater, until my allowance for that week was gone. (of course, I always tried for a front row seat :roll: )

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That's the color TV test pattern. The one I posted is one of the original B&W patterns.

See lots:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tv+test ... J1-7YyM%3A
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

and that guy saying as we slip the bounds of earth speech as the TV shut off at midnight
JOHNNY WACKO
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Hopping a freight train.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Tramp Steamers to South America or to New Zealand.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

One room school 1st thru 8th with one teacher for all 8 grades. Couple students drove a car to school.
Teacher demonstrating and shooting his dad`s civil war musket behind the school to us kids.
Outhouse at said school. Pump the water.
Same as above at home.
When you dressed up to go to church or fly.
Aunt Jemima pancakes.
Street evangelist`s.
Still crank some cars.
Selling Cloverine salve and Christian motto's that glowed in the dark.
Buying Taxidermy lessons from the Northwestern School of Taxidermy.
Killing a pigeon with chloroform for my first lesson.
Selling worms and night crawlers.
"Free movie night" in a empty lot and a pass the hat donation for the old crippled man who set it up.
Wrestling match's at the local Eagles or VFW.
Old steam Locomotives.
All the Mexican Bracero program crop pickers that camped every summer.
When the Gypsy`s came through.
Air raid siren tests.
Airplane observer program for "holes" in the dew line.
I gotta take a break.