I swore I would never do it. Shooting update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

I swore I would never do it. Shooting update

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought a GLOCK ! :o
I never thought I would but I bought a 43 today. For those who don't speak glock, that is a compact single stack 9mm,6+1 in a consealible size.
I had a Ruger LCP 9mm but could never get past the trigger pull that stacked to what seened like 10 pounds before letoff. I hear Ruger has redesigned the trigger but I have watched too many Hickock45
Videos on youtube and just had to try one of the G-word guns just to satisfy my curiosity. Pray for my sanity. :D

I got to shoot the little Glock today. I ran four magazines full of five different loads through it from
About 30' . Four different bullets 115 gr. FMJ, 124 gr FMJ ,90 gr. Hornady XTP and 124 gr. XTP's.
All handloads using mid range loads and three different powders. All loads printed in almost the same spot. This gun shoots about 2" to the left for me at that distance and the factory sight setting.
There were no failures to feed,fire or eject, just went bang every time.
At first the trigger guard was bighting my trigger finger and it hurt!!! I quickly learned to place my finger in the right location and the hurting want away AND the grouping improved at the same time.
So far this little shooter is doing everything expected of it. Very pleased with it !
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: I swore I would never do it.

Post by claybob86 »

:o Well, I guess it's good that you manned up and admitted it.

6+1 in 9mm, must be pretty small?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up. May the Lord have mercy on your soul!! :lol: I won't buy one. And, like my Mom's Ford, when she gave it to me... I gave it away... And my son will never see his inheritance until that abomination gets gone from my property! Not that I'm arrogant... but, I do own 5 Chevys!!! :twisted: :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

You will survive, Combat tupperware is not that bad.
If it is stupid and works, it is not stupid...
It is not the critic who counts
1894c

GLOCK 43

Post by 1894c »

I had one (as in past-tense), actually I bought two when they first came out. I used it as a BUG (back-up-gun) for over a year. The Glock 43 is a pretty good auto, reliable, accurate, recoil is very manageable for the size--but in the end I missed the capacity and the slightly thicker grip of my Glock 26 (10+1). So down the road they went. I also shoot the G-26 better than any other handgun that I own, plus I find the G-26 to be easier to re-load, especially with Glock 19 mags (15 rnds)--BUT YOU HAVE MADE A GOOD DECISION... :)

Interesting link on the Glock 26's accuracy: http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/201 ... hatchfinal
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I carried a J frame till I got my G26. The promise of more ammo available with the Glock called to me.After shooting it and becoming familiar with it I'm sure I made a wise choice. It may be ugly and everything else you want to say about it, but when all is said and done it just works every time.
I also have a G19 and the impression I got with it the first time I shot it was that it reminded me of a S&W M52 I shot years ago.
You might not like 'em but you can't beat 'em.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I've spent most of my life as a confirmed Colt 1911/Browning Hi-Power guy. Anytime I felt the need to carry a handgun to potentially defend my life, it was one of those. Here we are in the 21st century and I also find myself with a couple of full-size Glocks. A G-17 and G-21. Both are fun to shoot and surprisingly easy to achieve proficiency with...especially once you learn a some of the shooting techniques recommended by the IDPA types who have been shooting them for some time.
That said, a buddy loaned me his G26 to test as a potential daily carry gun and I never even bothered taking it to the range. it's simply too "blocky", too bulky and doesn't suit me at all. Your experience may differ...but that was mine.
My 2 Glocks do everything expected of them, every time, with whatever ammo I feed them. Hard to be critical but here's my single issue with Glocks...(perhaps someone here can comment and enlighten me....):
WHY do they have to have that square/blocky slide...????
Even the single stack versions that they are finally bringing out retain it, and I don't know why.
Thank you.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You made a good choice. Many people hate Glocks, but many more love them.
I bought my G23 back in '91. The finish has worn off, but still works flawlessly.
I have shot mine underwater, no need for the striker spring cups to be changed. Feeds and cycles no problem. JUST DONT USE CAST OR HOLLOW POINTS!

Only thing I have done is install night sights and 1 update and replace the trigger connector. Just keep feeding it, it's never failed to work.

Glocks are known to work, sand, water, mud, hot, cold, whatever.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Nothing personal against Glocks. They just don't "fit" me. I've shot them and the do go "bang", but they just don't feel right in MY hand. I went from a Shield, to an XDS, to finally a P938 before I found a pocket gun I felt comfortable carrying daily.

I have a LEO friend that off duty carries a 43. The way he shoots it you can tell it "fits" him and is like an extension of his arm.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote:JUST DONT USE CAST OR HOLLOW POINTS!
Why not hollow points...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Glock sounds like Gauck the wormy Klingon food. :twisted:

I've shot them, but was never really impressed. Great throw away gun too.
I much prefer the good old 1911a1 or the Government Model version :mrgreen:

However, this thread did remind me of this:
The Gospel According to John (Moses Browning that is...):

1. In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was the pistol, and it
was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck about with my
disciple John's design for it is good and it worketh. For John made the
1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord,
gave him upon the mountain.

2. "And shouldst thou muck about with it and hang all manner of foul
implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely
have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to
harm."

3. And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst
forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of
the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases
upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and
alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4. Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911
and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the
artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so
that the lowly field-worker could not afford one. And the profaning of
the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land
fell upon it.

5. And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an
abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and loose their zero when
thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in
great numbers by their enemies in the great battle.

6. And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought
by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunction to come
upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no
wrong.

7. Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men the lord of the
underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring
forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and
felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed
by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8. And they didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm.

9. And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make
these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were
unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did function.

10. And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger
didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them
appear safe.

11. But man, being stupid, did not understand these new pistols and did
proceed to shoot them-selves with the plastic pistol, and with the
trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great
intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to
gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent
discharges which they themselves had committed.

12. And when man had been totally ensnared with plastic pistol, the lord
of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-BOOM to
descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution
upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

13. Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that
man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his
messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings
of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper
con- figuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to
work as the Prophet had intended.

14. And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners
from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the
evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the
land, and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation by the
followers of John.

Amen

© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer

( Posted by Combat Diver, Sixgunner.com Forum 1-06-04)
( Corrected By OD, Leverguns.com Forum 6-8-06 )
Joe :twisted:
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Never say never, especially when it comes to guns. I once said I wouldn't own a striker fired, 9mm plastic toy (I had 2, 45 ACPs and several revolvers) . Now I have 2 of them in 9mm of all cartridges...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I own one Glock. I don't like the feel of it, but l shoot it well. It is a G22.
Guns and Ammo tested 10 polymer framed single stack 9mm pistols about 2 years ago. After 1,000 rounds, the Glock 43, Taurus 709, and a Walther had not broken or had a single ftf or fte. The test was done right out of the box without cleaning or lubrication. Because most of us are not likely to fire 1,000rounds out of our back up gun in 10 years, it seems to be a good test to me. I got the Taurus 709, and have put about 300 rounds through it in 2 years. It fits my hand well and is accurate. I cannot get the sight to go low enough for a correct hold at 25 yards, but for the purpose, it is not a big deal. It hits two inches above point of aim. Center mass on a human at 25 yards will make no difference in a bad times situation. So it takes out the aorta instead of the left ventricle. Either way, the threat is stopped. The Glock 43 would be as good or maybe better in that situation. I just don't like the feel of the grip.
By the way, my groups with the Taurus are about 1.5 to 2 inches for 7 rounds. 2 inches high is consistent with any ammunition.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rusty wrote:
It may be ugly

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I bought a GLOCK ! :o
I never thought I would but I bought a 43 today. For those who don't speak glock, that is a compact single stack 9mm,6+1 in a consealible size.
I had a Ruger LCP 9mm but could never get past the trigger pull that stacked to what seened like 10 pounds before letoff. I hear Ruger has redesigned the trigger but I have watched too many Hickock45
Videos on youtube and just had to try one of the G-word guns just to satisfy my curiosity. Pray for my sanity. :D

I have seven Glocks and the 43 was my latest one also. Good carry gun.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck: LCPs are in .380 only.

Anyway, if they DID make an LCP-sized Glock, I'd prolly have it. I do have a Glock 30S....It's extremely utile.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I know what you mean about the LC9. I had a LC9S, absolutely loved the trigger pull, way better than the Glock with what ever mods you might want to do with it, but could not get used to the grip feel. Traded it in on a G43 when they came available. If you're concerned about the mag capacity, try magguts.com , they have a plus one spring kit that WORKS. I've got five of them and am happy with them. HTH

P.S. You can shoot lead in them, just use Lyman #2 (brinnel 15) or harder. Shot a bunch through my G42 with no leading, even put a few of the same bullets through the G43 with no problems.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a G22. It cannot feed thru one magazine load without multiple malfunctions. It stays locked up where no one can hurt themselves with it. I don't have time or incentive to fool around with it because I have XDs.

The thing that got me into the XD line was the 30,000 round stress test with no failures of any kind. AND, they stressed the stuff out of the gun. I bought two XDs right then, and I wouldn't trade them for a crate full of glocks. Well, for a full crate I might. Then I could sell them here and buy half a crate of XDs.

I won't carry a pistol without a grip safety, EXCEPT for the LCP, which has the trigger pull of a DA revolver; and I never hear of people foresaking DA revolvers because the trigger pull is so bad. My wife has a smith snubby DA only and the newer LCP. To me there is no practical difference in the triggers. I've read people complaining about the LCP trigger stacking, I never read of anyone complaining about the revolver trigger stacking. And it does stack. She has a hard time keeping the sight picture thru the revolver trigger stacking, but she is a deadly shot with the LCP. $250 out the door. How can you beat that?

I recognize that millions of people love glocks. It's OK. They're helping to keep the XD prices in line! Heh.

piller wrote:I own one Glock. I don't like the feel of it, but l shoot it well. It is a G22.
Guns and Ammo tested 10 polymer framed single stack 9mm pistols about 2 years ago. After 1,000 rounds, the Glock 43, Taurus 709, and a Walther had not broken or had a single ftf or fte. The test was done right out of the box without cleaning or lubrication. Because most of us are not likely to fire 1,000rounds out of our back up gun in 10 years, it seems to be a good test to me. I got the Taurus 709, and have put about 300 rounds through it in 2 years. It fits my hand well and is accurate. I cannot get the sight to go low enough for a correct hold at 25 yards, but for the purpose, it is not a big deal. It hits two inches above point of aim. Center mass on a human at 25 yards will make no difference in a bad times situation. So it takes out the aorta instead of the left ventricle. Either way, the threat is stopped. The Glock 43 would be as good or maybe better in that situation. I just don't like the feel of the grip.
By the way, my groups with the Taurus are about 1.5 to 2 inches for 7 rounds. 2 inches high is consistent with any ammunition.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a G22. It cannot feed thru one magazine load without multiple malfunctions. It stays locked up where no one can hurt themselves with it. I don't have time or incentive to fool around with it because I have XDs.
That's a bummer. Clearly, a problem Glock should be more than happy to look into. (Does it do that with different mags?) I'll give you a hundred bucks for it. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I agree. Send it in to Glock. Let them fix it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

BlaineG wrote:Chuck: LCPs are in .380 only.

Anyway, if they DID make an LCP-sized Glock, I'd prolly have it. I do have a Glock 30S....It's extremely utile.

My mistake pard. I do have an LCP .380 also. I jeep it in my trucks jocky box. Its trigger is nothing to write home about either but is usable in a pinch.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don't feel bad Chuck, I said the same thing.

Then in protest to a L.A. City law prohibiting sale of hand guns that fit into a certain size rectangle I went to the next city over and bought a model 30.

Fast forward a few years and the state said a normal citizen couldn't buy the model 42. So, I found that there was an exemption to that law and bought one.

I didn't need either, and truthfully, I've only fired the 42 twice. The 30 gets carried from time to time. But I really don't like the thickness of the grip area for concealed carry.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Grizz wrote:I have a G22. It cannot feed thru one magazine load without multiple malfunctions...
GRIZZ -- I think the problem with your Glock is that somebody (when they took the Glock all apart) did not assemble the Glock in the right order--you're issue has to do with the slide release/slide stop, either it's been broken, or as I stated it has been installed wrong--but in either case it can be repaired cheaply and easily--please review attached links... :)

Slide stop part: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx ... 61&CAT=199
How to disassemble and assemble a Glock (note the disassembly section): http://www.rockyourglock.com/disassembly.htm
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Chuck ....you modernized. I'm still packing a Colt SAA.......first gen.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Chuck: LCPs are in .380 only.

My mistake pard. I do have an LCP .380 also. I jeep it in my trucks jocky box. Its trigger is nothing to write home about either but is usable in a pinch.
I coon fingered the 9mm you were talking about....I thought it sucked. The LCP is the size I want, and it goes bang every time, I can hit pop cans at 10 feet every time :lol: I'm too lazy to holster up, so I always carry this one, and a couple extra mags in a vest pocket. Sum Beach makes my trigger finger bleed if I plink with it much.... :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

1894c, thanks for the links, I bookmarked them.

I trust you're right about that. As I said, it's low priority for me now. Maybe when they're outlawed I'll be interested, just because, or maybe it's a good drop gun the way it is...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I swore I would never do it. Shooting update

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Updated first post :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I try to never say never, but I make an exception sometimes. I still wont own one of those Glocks. My local firearms training instructor friend calls them the safest gun you'll ever shoot yourself with! He's seen a lot of them in use with police departments he works with, and said the incident rate is fairly high for AD's with them. Often resulting in cops shooting themselves.
Plus I prefer steel and walnut, or ivory, or stag, or.....
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I will say I will never do it again!!
had one in a 40 cal. it worked & shot real well but I just couldn't like it
Ruger. Colt or most any sa is my hang up

Brad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I should had clarified the ' not shoot hollow points UNDERWATER! Sorry about that, my mind got ahead of my fingers while typing...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pete44ru wrote:
Rusty wrote:
It may be ugly

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This made even me shudder a bit --- and I like a bit of flash
----- Doug
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They are like that bar girl you should stay away from but they are so nice and comfortable! Todd/3leg
. That you just can't.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!