1911 recommendation

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

1911 recommendation

Post by Ysabel Kid »

One of my best friend's oldest sons is interested in getting a pistol. He is leaning towards a 1911 chambered in the revered .45 ACP caliber, which just goes to show you that my friend raised his son right! :D Anyway, after a discussion it got me to thinking. Just about everybody and their brother these days makes a 1911 pistol. Who makes the best one? We're talking a "semi-traditional" model here. No rail. Steel, not aluminum or with any polymers (except maybe the grip, which will probably be replaced anyway). All the recent "standard" upgrades (flared and lowered ejection port, relieved trigger guard, large beavertail grip safety with memory bump, commander-style hammer). If you were dishing out advice, and the young man had a $1,000 budget, how would you rank them?

Thanks!

YK
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1911 recommendation

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have three Ruger 1911's in 45ACP. One 5" and two Commanders. Ruger calls them the CMD, Commander is a registered trademark of Colt.
I also have two Springfield Arms 1911's ,one 5" loaded target .45 and one 5" Range Officer 9mm.
All of my 1911's are stainless. The Springfields are a step or two above the Rugers in quality/accuracy but also cost about $450 more so that is to be expected.
That said, I love the Rugers and they shoot very well and function great with every load I have shot.
The Springfields are just sweet, class act guns with out of the box trigger pulls that are unbelievable.
You can buy either with confidence.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I really like my Para Ordnance P-14, and Rock Island Armory clone - both are double-stack, so they aren't totally traditional, but the only unique parts are grip, trigger, magazine release, and slide stop - all widely available in the double-stack format.

The grip is approximately 3/16" larger in girth - barely noticeable - and is more rounded in cross-section like a Bisley or other revolver grip, so the gun is much more comfortable to shoot. If he has unusually short fingers he might not like them, but nearly everyone who has shot my P-14 really likes it.

For a single-stack, I have a really old AMT that is just as reliable (never, ever, jams) as the Para Ordnance, but they don't make 'em any more.

If I had to 'settle' :wink: for a single-stack, I'd strongly consider a Ruger or a Rock Island, despite the latter's not being a "prestige" brand. Rock Island's support is kind of like Henry's, which is a big factor to me.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 3 Colt 1911s, a Gov't mdl, a Gold Cup, & a Commander. I have 2 Taylor's Tactical 1911s, a Rock Island and a "parts" gun that I assembled some 40 years ago from a combination of military & civilian parts. I like 'em ALL! However, don't ever think that just buying a pistol will get you shooting reliably and with absolute perfect consistency. EVERY 1911 I've owned needed both trigger work and ramp work to feed with the variety of bullet shapes commonly encountered. Triggers are a matter of personal feel, and what one becomes accustomed to... therefore, I always suggest that a trigger job comes after the gun otherwise works perfectly... Ramp configuration is 1st and foremost, IMO... Next, as one refines one's preferred load, whether for self defense, competition or favored plinking round, springs may be changed out for best operation and longevity. Next is trigger work... after which comes some load tweaking and maybe another change in springs... Afterall, ain't it all about the shooting?

And IMO, the same applies across the board to all makes and models. There are LOTS of pistols out there that can be taken out the box and be fed thousands of rounds of 230 Ball and run like clockwork! No additional attention needed, except the cleaning and routine maintenance necessary for such operation.

All of my 1911s have had some ramp and trigger work done of them... (except the GC & Gov't mdl Colts... they're safe queens). But, if I was to want to shoot them, I have no doubt that I'd need to get a little ramp work in... The Taylor's are rock solid guns, and have had no issue once they were ramped and triggers tuned. But, they're just plain jane 1911 types, without even some of the features recognized on the 1911-A1. They've received taller (& wider) sights, still fixed, but easier to see than the GI sights. To get a Commander style hammer on a Taylor's you need to order a pistol with a rail... although, they might change one out... Their prices ARE right.

The Rock Island is made by the same outfit, as are many others. It also is a perfectly good gun. In fact I dare you to find a 1911 with the features of the Rock Standard FS for near it's MSRP.

I've watched others run the R1 Remington, the S&W, the Ruger, etc., but IMO, they aren't any better than those from Armscor... as some of their parts are also from Armscor. I've seen more high dollar 1911s fail to feed than any of the less expensive makes. You can have your Wilsons, Caspians, LBs, etc... match grade accuracy is one thing... but it entails a lot of work on the part of the shooter to keep that thing clean and the correct ammo running thru it. And if that's the job it needs to perform, then that'd be what I recommend. But, for your "run-of-mill, let's go shooting 1911," you don't "need" a big budget gun. Just one with all the "right" work, and I might add, by a better than competent 1911 mechanic.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Lets see in the 1911 scheme of things I've owned a Springfield Armory that was a totally tricked out race gun . A Kimber Tactical and a Para Ordanance double stack . And I liked them all in their own way .

Recently we had a customer order a pair of Rock Island 1911's in 9mm one with a 4" and the other with 3 1/2" barrels I think they were . Anyway those two shot very nicely straight out of the box and lord knows I am not a 9mm fan .

But back to the question at hand for my money a Kimber or possibly a Rock Island is the best for my money !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

With out a doubt I will recommend the Rock Island .45, we have three in the family and they shoot way better than the Springfield we have. He can buy a lot of ammo with the extra 500 dollars.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

COLT. MY colt. Gov model has never malfunctioned. It stays under the pillow, three extra Wilson mags loaded on the nightstand. :D
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I would probably go with a RI. I have 2 currently and no problems out of either. I never had any problem with the Kimbers, Taurus, Remington, or Para's I have had either.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I have two, a single stack and a Para P 14.
I have big hands and I like the feel of the P 14 better. Have him hold a single stack and a double stack. See which one feels better to him and take it from there.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I don't see how you can go wrong with the Rock Island. (Aren't they the ones made in the Phillipines?) You can get all the bells and whistles and get a competent smith to polish the ramp and tune the trigger. Just don't let some Dremel happy, incompetent whatever ruin the ramp and don't try it yourself unless you really know what you're doing.

Spend some of that money for a handfull of Wilson clips. Bill's 8 rounders really work, pricey but you get what you pay for.

Don't get an extended slide release but make sure the front sight is dovetailed in. NOT just the usual peened one that Colt uses. I've seen a couple of them just fly off during a match. Big beaver-tail/commander hammer: necessary. Ambi safety: your call, I like them but some don't. Adjustable sights: Not necessary. Think Novak or Heinie. Regulate fixed sight to shoot to point of aim with 5.5 of HP-38 and the 200 grain H&G 68 and it won't be off enough with most loads to worry about. You will want a 22 pound spring too and one of Wilson's Shock Buffs is a good idea. (The Heinie sight is shaped so you can rack the slide against your belt, window sill or a concrete curb if you're down to one wing.)

I know this is over-kill but is stuff I learned when I was shooting 500 rounds a week through a Colt that Frank Pachmeyer had tuned.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've put a ton of rounds through my Remington R1 and have been totally happy with it. The only problems I had were when I was figuring out where it wanted H&G 68s seated. It's been a great pistol and I like it almost as much as my sixguns!

Eric
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This one was a plain military lookalike from Springfield. Added better fixed sights. Had two Colt's which I traded off after getting this, about 5,000 through it. $325 in 89, don't know if they still offer it but a very good option. It has worked all the time, is accurate and will run about 500 before it has a hiccup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

On the subject of magazines... everyone's work for "a while". Some "while's" are longer than others. Suprisingly, the magazines that come with Taylor's & Rock Island are fairly good. I've only got blued steel ones, so don't take what I say to apply to any that're stainless.

In order of preference:
  • Trip Research
    Wilson Combat
    McCormick
    Colt
    Pro-Mag
    Military (new, but MUST have the FSN stamped and be from the current military supplier)
That ain't the order of pricing... I've found that I can buy McCormick mags, & the Tripp Research follower kit and have less invested than new Tripp Research mags, I've been running McCormick mags in competition for the past 3 years, waiting for that first hiccup to replace their followers... ain't happened, but I may change 'em out anyway. And in talking about changing things out, rotate the mags you keep loaded for SD use. I have about 20 magazines that I'll use for self-defense, but only keep about 10 of those loaded, ready for use. My competition mags are only loaded as I ready myself to shoot.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Rock Island 1911, not even an A1 style, shoots everything but Speer Gold Dot. I use Chip McCormick magazines. I am going to have to change the slide soon due to my eyes. I am having trouble seeing the little sights because if aging eyes. That pistol was under $320 when I bought it. It is more accurate than I am. Once I get a new slide with some sights that are easier on my eyes, then I might consider a Bar Sto barrel. It shoots great with the factory barrel, so I may just leave it alone. If I could do it again, I would just have got the one with better sights and been done with it. Not being able to shoot only one brand of ammunition is not a big deal to me. My pistol likes the Hydra Shock bullets a lot. It also shoots those boxes of practice hard ball and self defense bullets well. No ftf on the hollow points in those packs.
I recommend Rock Island.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
One of my best friend's oldest sons is interested in getting a pistol.

He is leaning towards a 1911 chambered in the revered .45 ACP caliber

Who makes the best one ?

If you were dishing out advice, and the young man had a $1,000 budget, how would you rank them?

"Best" is mighty subjective, as most folks would designate different makes as "best".

IMO, your friend needs to take his Son to one or more gunshops with a good/large stock of 1911's in their sales case, and let him coon-finger them ALL, until he finds one that floats his boat.

A $1000.00 budget won't cover most of the high-end 1911's, like Kimber, Colt, Wilson, etc, etc; but should cover standard issue 1911's, and a few that have the bells/whistles he wants (flared and lowered ejection port, relieved trigger guard, large beavertail grip safety with memory bump, commander-style hammer).

I bought a standard Remington 1911R1, and dropped in (with a little fitting to the grip safety tang's top surface) a Commander-style rowel hammer (from the Caspian Arms Parts Dept).

1911's a step above the very basic Rock Island & Auto-Ordnance types, like some Ruger's, Remington's & Springer's will have the bells/whistles, but should still come in under budget.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Any Armscor product, Rock Island or Metro Arms, is a good product for the money.

If he wants to go concealed, really look at the Metro Arms Compact Commander. It's the Commander upper on an Officer's lower.

No Series 80 junk either.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My 1911 is a Para single stack 5" that was a Canadian model. No complaints. I also have a Springer 1911 Range Officer in 9mm. I haven't shot it enough to say, but I wish the Para was a Range Officer in .45acp. The Springer comes in under 1000 by a couple hundred. Great trigger, excellent adj sights.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

For that price range, I cant figure much good reason to get anything less than a Colt. Some well versed folks like the Springfield better grade models, but if starting from zero, Id go Colt and not look back. Not that they are perfect, but they seem to do more consistently well than about anyone else.

Try G&R tactical and see if they have any in stock. If not, an email may get some info on when they may have some.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Malamute wrote:For that price range, I cant figure much good reason to get anything less than a Colt. Some well versed folks like the Springfield better grade models, but if starting from zero, Id go Colt and not look back. Not that they are perfect, but they seem to do more consistently well than about anyone else.

Try G&R tactical and see if they have any in stock. If not, an email may get some info on when they may have some.
The reason to get "less than a Colt" is to have $200-$300 left over for a ramp job (that even Colts need), magazines and ammo.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I would buy a Kimber, then either a Springfield or Ruger.

But I would suggest( as I do whenever someone asks me what to buy) have this fine young man go to an indoor range that rents guns, have him try as many 1911's as possible, then he can form his own opinion.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I have owned two Colt commanders and shot every kind of bullet design in both and never had a problem with feeding. Never had any ejection problems unless I try to shoot too light of load for the spring. I didn't even have problems with the Lee 230 gr. bullet feeding in my Colts even with the odd ogive the bullet has. The Ruger I owned wouldn't feed em unless you seated them deeper. I run Colt, Wilson, Kimber and Chip McCormick mags and all have worked well in my Colts. My Colts had better triggers than the Ruger out of the box also and they only cost me $25 more than the Ruger. I'd buy another Colt without a blink. I might buy one of the others if I could try one of them out first. But I've had such good luck with my Colts that I hate to buy something else without tying it first. I'm sure that they're better 1911's out there but not unless you pay more or get lucky. I paid $750 for both of my Colt's and its only been a few years back.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I can't add nothing...been said pretty well.

But.....I have always preferred Colt....just a personal preference ...resale value is there, plus, like AR-15's, Colt was the first in making these....not inventing them...making them.----6
Model A Uzi’s
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I own both a Springfield Military Model and a Kimber Ultra.

For the money I like them both, but I wouldn't buy the Kimber again.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks fellas. I did recommend that they go out to the nearest range with a decent selection of 1911's to rent and try several. I have long fingers, so my Para's - a P14.45 "Super Hawg" (long slide) and a P12.45 compact fit me like a glove. My friend's son is a big guy, so I imagine these will suit him well too. Not sure though on the latest Para's, especially after Remington bought them. I've heard they have had a lot of issues. My "standard" 1911 - my first one - is an old Auto-Ordnance. Works 100% of the time. Not pretty, but works. I bought Y2K a Taurus in 2011 - the 100th anniversary - and we're going to probably sell it. I just can't get it to feed reliably or hit with any consistency.

I had recommended he consider the Colt, Springfield, Ruger and Kimber. Didn't think of the S&W; anyone here have experience with one? Now thinking he should try to Rock Island given all of your feedback.

Thanks again!

YK
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:. . . I have long fingers, so my Para's - a P14.45 "Super Hawg" (long slide) and a P12.45 compact fit me like a glove. My friend's son is a big guy, so I imagine these will suit him well too. Not sure though on the latest Para's, especially after Remington bought them. I've heard they have had a lot of issues . . . . Now thinking he should try to Rock Island given all of your feedback.
Yeah - don't forget that Rock Island makes several great 1911 double-stacks, as well as their regular single-stacks. They also make some interesting 'combo' 1911's.....the 22 WMR is certainly intriguing.

Their 'GI' version in 45 ACP is what I have -
http://armscor.com/firearms/gi-series/g ... -hc-45acp/

Then there's their 17+1 round 9mm that comes with a 22 TCM barrel.... :twisted:
http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-series/ ... 22tcm-9mm/

...or the 45 ACP that comes with a 22 LR barrel/slide...
http://armscor.com/firearms/xt-series/x ... lr-45-acp/

...or 15-round 22 WMR...
http://armscor.com/firearms/xt-series/x ... 22-magnum/

......and no, I don't work for Rock Island..... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Now see, using John Wick's style, that .22mag would seem to be optimal...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i bought a RIA CS 1911 that ran pretty much 100% right out of the box. Recently i bought some Commander parts and fitted Commander slide and barrel to my CS frame. The result is a steel framed 45acp CCO. If i had a $1000 dollar budget for a 1911 there's no doubt in my mind it would be a Colt....next choice(a little less money) i would probably go with one of the Ruger 1911's
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Didn't think of the S&W; anyone here have experience with one ?

One of my Son-in-law's bought a new S&W 1911 @ a funshow we were attending, about 8 years ago, for $800. (today, they're over-budget for your friend's Son)

Since then, he & my daughter's put about 3K rounds of hardball through it w/o issue, and they're satisfied with it's fit/function & accuracy.

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

RIA that I own shoots Ranger 230grn. JHP ammo accurately and goes bang every time. Paid $300 for it long time ago, I think you can still get 1 for under $500. LOT OF GUN for a little money.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I own two Colts, a early steel officers model and a Combat gov. model and love them both but the one I carry now is a XD S -45.
Light and accurate and ya have to shoot one to believe how little it recoils for it`s size.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw that Remington has announced a new 10mm long slide in their RP 1911.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've owned numerous 1911's mostly Colts. Also had a few clones and one I built using an Essex frame and Colt slide/parts. All were reliable, and my Gold Cup was very accurate too! But I eventually stumbled across a very minty used S&W 745 IPSC, which isn't a 1911, but very close in function and design. I bought it because I was shooting bullseye matches, and my "any CF gun" was a S&W 52 .38 Spl. wadcutter. The 745 felt closer to the 52, so easy to switch back and forth for the .45 portion of the 2400 matches.
The S&W 745 is the finest out of the box single action semiauto .45 ACP gun I've ever owned! I sold all my other 1911 style guns after using it for a couple years, and after 20+ years of shooting the 745, it still puts a smile on my face. S&W sent me 4 recoil springs for it when I was competing, so I swap them out for various loads from full power to extremely light 650 fps target loads. If I had a $1,000 limit, I'd go to one of the online auctions and find a 745. They can still be found in very nice shape for well under $1,000. Blued slide, and stainless frames make them a great looking gun, with no frame wear from fingers on the metal for years of shooting. Mine still looks like new after 20 years.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mack, I saw that this morning. That long-slide Remington in 10 is going to make a fine deer and hog killer.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote:I saw that Remington has announced a new 10mm long slide in their RP 1911.
That's going on the "Gotta Have" list!

I've had about a dozen go through my hands over the last 30 years or so. My favorites have always been the Colt's but I really like my Remington R1. It has almost the same feel and better sights than my WWI Colt. I bought it barely used w/ the box and everything for $500. My only other one that I have right now is an early Springfield 1911 A1 that was made in Brazil. I love the WWII look of it and it shoots great and functions perfectly. I'll pick up a Rock Island when I get a chance but the next on is going to be a Sig Super Target or a Gold Cup. Really like them both.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The young man works fast! He picked up a Colt Commander... :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:The young man works fast! He picked up a Colt Commander... :D
He should love it. I have one made in '82, tho' not a series '80. It's my EDC and after some ramp & trigger work, it's been 100% reliable since new.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Ysabel Kid wrote:The young man works fast! He picked up a Colt Commander... :D
Good man! I have a 9mm '73 Combat Commander that is pretty well my favorite, I think he will really like having a Colt.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Did he get a steel frame or a lightweight alloy frame Commander? Both are good but with slightly different strong points. I have both, actually I have 3 Lightweights, and one Steel Commander. The Lightweights shoot just fine, and I find them to be easier to carry concealed all day, due to the lighter weight, but some styles of magazine followers and some bullet shapes can ding the feed ramps of the alloy frames.

The steel framed version is heavier to carry, but does not suffer from the said magazine followers or bullet shapes. I love them all but I am a little more careful with the lightweights as to the magazines I use, or real aggressive hollowpoint designs with sharp edges. Just FYI.

The upper one and the bottom one are Lightweights, and great carry guns, the middle one is all steel, and has a Smith & Alexander mag well for slightly easier speed loading for IDPA Competition. I went steel frame on it, because I plan to shoot it a lot.

I hope he enjoys his new Colt. There are lots of good guns out there, but I am partial to the Colt Brand in it's price range, and I think they are worth a little more money then the cheaper brands, although the cheaper brands can make good shooting guns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:I can't add nothing...been said pretty well.

But.....I have always preferred Colt....just a personal preference ...resale value is there, plus, like AR-15's, Colt was the first in making these....not inventing them...making them.----6

What he said -- because I'm a Colt maniac

The Colt's were there for me when the chips were down (by that I mean, I was deep into a new custom home build, and it was time to spec out the cabinets and I also wanted "home chef" grade appliances)

These were D-A revolvers granted , but the profit from the sale got me into some stain grade oak throughout my house as opposed to mdf or finger joint pine -- and didn't entirely pay for upscale appliances, but split the difference for me

--- this was a test of faith and I even consulted the board before selling, --- but I have since recovered and am now messing around with a couple of SAA's and a 6920 rifle

---- So............ I have a hard on for Sam Colt products ---- but --------------------- I also sold an Armscor RIA .45 Commander size pistol - I didn't profit anything on it , but that little rig was a shooter --- even with stock GI style sights -- I would not have sold it , but the 1911 really does not fit my hand that well -- and I hate the oversized grip panels available

So my pic is Colt #1, --- but if you throw out the Colt fan boy stuff --- you could buy an Armscor and a case of ammo from any number of places and do well also
----- Doug