Anyone have a good load for huntin spiders?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone have a good load for huntin spiders?

Post by GunnyMack »

Last night around midnight my Chocolate lab, Claro, started acting frantic. She was 'itchy' and her face was swollen, eyes almost closed up, muzzle looked like a she went a few rounds with Mike Tyson! I should have taken pictures...

Off we go to emergency vet, they administered Benadryl but that was slow to work. Then a steroid which worked very well! We got home about 2:45.

Vet seemed to think it was a 'bug' bite. Have been seeing lots of spiders in the house this fall.

So who has a good load for spiders?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone have a good load for huntin spiders?

Post by GunnyMack »

Here is Claro, normally...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

When my son found some BIG spiders in his house, he was ready to burn the house down..so maybe a flamethrower? :mrgreen:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I hope Claro gets well soon.
Over here some folks put buckeyes (we call 'em conkers) around the house to keep spiders away, I'm not sure it works but buckeyes and a slingshot might... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Put these around the base boards, in closets, behind beds, etc. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Terro-Spider ... /203225214

The next best thing is spend the money and have a pro come in and spray.

The best way is just burn the place down and rebuild. :lol:

Really hope your dog is ok. I remember when my dad's Rott "discovered" a yellow jacket nest. :cry:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Crosman 1377 pellet pistol, 4 or 5 pumps, no pellet. Hold it a couple of inches away from the spider. :twisted:

I also use the traps mentioned by jdad above. They do help.

I also use Ortho Home Defense spray, which also works good.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

She seems to be doing fine!
Living in the woods, we get lots of bugs, I don't mind spiders but they need to stay outside!

I'll pick up some of those Terro traps!

I saw on TV the aSALT shooter, uses table salt and air/spring pressure but have no idea where or if they are still sold.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

GunnyMack wrote: I saw on TV the aSALT shooter, uses table salt and air/spring pressure but have no idea where or if they are still sold.
Amazon, Cabelas, pretty much anywhere.

http://bugasalt.com/

Don't know how effective they are on hardbodies like spiders and roaches tho.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:
GunnyMack wrote: I saw on TV the aSALT shooter, uses table salt and air/spring pressure but have no idea where or if they are still sold.
Amazon, Cabelas, pretty much anywhere.

http://bugasalt.com/

Don't know how effective they are on hardbodies like spiders and roaches tho.
Pretty much disintegrates spiders. Beetles and such succumb quickly but may need a second shot after the first anchors them. Be careful, roaches may charge! :lol:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

What Jdad said about sticky bug traps + this lighted Victor trap. We bought them for flea control in our barn, shop, dog room, etc, but they attract and catch all kinds of crawlies - cricket, spiders, etc.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Woodstream-M ... 3=&veh=sem
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

For exterior use I highly recommend one of these. I've had one around for some years now. It's pretty much taken care of all the black widows (and other spiders) snails & slugs.

When they've been around humans for sometime they become very docile and having no fear they simply pass you by.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

With 3 labradors I really don't want skunks hanging around. I had a Jack Russell years ago that would kill skunks, 3 confirmed and he never got sprayed.
He would hunt anything on 4 legs! Cats were not safe, ground hogs, squirrels, chipmunks opossum... You get the idea.
One day this little 15 lbs terror treed a bear about 2-250 lbs, I left him outside under that bear for 4 hours! He girdled the oak tree. I finally got tired of his barking, he was hoarse for day afterward, went and picked him up walked away. As the bear climbed down you could see the relief on its face.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's somethin' about spiders that I don't like and I kill everyone I see. The wife spent a week in the hospital from a brown recluse. Couple of months ago I was splitting wood and I felt this thing on my neck so I brushed it away.......when I saw what I brushed away my eyeballs got as big as golf balls because the spider I brushed off was as big as a golf ball. I smashed it into the dirt with a chunk of oak.

The best medicine for spiders is 2+2 carb cleaner. I buy this stuff by the case and use it more for spiders and wasps than I use it for it's intended purpose. It kills them instantly. I keep a can in the basement, garage, and the barn.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a Bug a Salt for my brother in law a few years ago. He goes spastic at the sight of any bugs. He has used it with great success on house flies and spiders. We have some very large spiders here and a few have required a follow up shot.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Came home from work last week, a lovely fall day in Ohio............ got out of the Jeep and on the front of the house were a pair of spiders the size of silver dollars in a boxing match with BIG bodies. if they get in the house momma goes totally bonkers so I shoot in the garage for the Ortho Home Defense spray. it works pretty good. I go around the house and find several more and give them a bath too. I also have shot some bigger ones with my old Sheridan air rifle, no pellet, get close. the price we pay for living in the woods.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I've used a Bug-a-Salt since they came out. Best I have found for nailing spiders in the middle of their webs. Plus, you can't beat the price of "ammo"! :D
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Man! What is it with spiders and snakes? Snakes don't bother me a lot unless I'm out in the boonies where help is 40 miles away but spiders send me into another dimension of instant defense.

Must be ...as a doctor once told me....genetic memory

I have yet to talk to a black guy that was not crazy afraid of snakes. I tell them it must be genetic memory from Africa where those snakes bite and you die...fast.----6

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

My next door neighbor was a fire breathing Electric company lineman/ weightlifter of Scottish decent. 6'4 265 lb....I saw Him squat 700lbs and do sets/reps on the curling bench with 160 lbs. He could pick me up overhead like a toy just for fun. Nice Guy, just don't twig His nose.......once in the shed outback a nest of wasps inside, he reaches up grabs the whole thing and crushes them to shreds..
Once He was under the house in the crawl space. it was full of spiders and He came out of there like it was on fire. I wonder where that memory came from Six. :lol: .
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

45 Colt....ain't that somethin'! Crushes wasps and runs from spiders. (Big nuts on the wasps :D )

Mind you...those little tiny spiders we all see in the corners of the house don't bother me a bit. It's those big nasty Wolf spiders that look like a golf ball on legs. Suckers can run fast!

2 + 2 to the rescue. Smack em one shot and they curl up dead.---6

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yes...glue traps are the best thing for spiders.
You will be amazed and appalled at what you find stuck to the traps. Here in Texas, brown recluse spiders like to come in to the AC in the summer and dry heat in the winter. Under furniture, dark corners....

There used to be a good chemica called Ficam W that destroyed spiders and was virtually oderless, but I think it has since been banned. Ask your local chemical supply if there is a decent substitute.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I bought a Ruger holster with the flap and snap new a week later a mouse chewed around the flap and messed it up. so i get a sticky mouse pad and put on the shelf by my revolvers. end with a $50 BILL STUCK TO IT THEN TO MY FLAT GATE AND MY HAND AND ON MY PANT LEG.i HAD IT ALL OVER EVERYTHING BEFORE I GOT IT TO THE TRASH. :oops: :lol: :lol:
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:shock: :o :( We got those huge wolf spiders, the nasty Hobo spiders, and those Black Widows without the red mark (nearly as poison as the others). I tore apart the old, crumbling wood deck last month, and you could have made Arachnophobia Part II. I guess they don't bother me too much any more after opening utility boxes a few hundred thousand times...they all had spiders in them. It was the hornets, and yellowjackets that ruined your day.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I dislike spiders, especially black widows, which we seem to have plenty of. Creepiest was the Tarantulas and wolf spiders in Az. walked out of a buddies place at night once, there was a large blond wolf spider (about 3 1/2" across the legs) on the wall right next to me about eye level. I mentioned it to him, he said "Yeah, that's so-and-so". They named him. Wouldn't let me shoot him or anything.

Found a scorpion in the kitchen sink last spring. Had two of the ugly Jerusalem cricket things in the house also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just got done reading up on these wolf spiders and they claim they are not aggressive towards humans but will bite from time to time and cause pain that only lasts for ten minutes. I still don't like em and I will continue to kill em all.

Malamute....no way I would have stayed in that place......sounds to me your bud was all "weeded up". :D ----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

24 hours later and Claro is doing fine!
I wonder how well the BugSalt will work on stink bugs ? My black lab ( Winnie, Claro's mom) like to eat the stink bug then she has to share by panting in your face! I don't mind dog breath but when ode de stink bug is mixed in YUCK!

While I was living in CO, one of the guys that ran the school range was terrified of spiders, seems like the devious guys at school would go out of their way to find tarantula sheds and place them where this guy would be first to find them. Of course we all got a kick out of it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

We don't have much like that here. No biting snakes, and from the sound no big spiders. Once in a while you hear of someone getting bit and getting a little swollen but that's about it.
I had a little one that lived near the drivers sun visor in my old jeep. Every time you warmed it up he would thaw out and swing under the visor on a string of web. I named him Hermon and left him there.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote:. I named him Hermon and left him there.
Jay,
I'm ashamed of you........you named him "Hermon?" Should have been a female name starting with the letter "H".

That reminds me, I'm going to the potty room to drop off a Hillary at the pool. :D -----6

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sixgun wrote:
Malamute....no way I would have stayed in that place......sounds to me your bud was all "weeded up". :D ----6
He wasn't like that at all, just got used to the friendly spider that lived on his house. I think he reasoned that whatever it ate was less other bug stuff he had to live with. Az has plenty of pokey, sharp, poisonous stuff, you just get used to much of it.

One gross out was hunting with a bud, we found a taralula. It was a really big, old looking one. He took his hat off and got the thing walking on his hat, then on his arm. I never liked getting that close to them, they can jump. They were pretty common to see when out in the hills though.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/tempo ... r-215.html

Kills them all flying or crawling.

Not cheap, but lasts a long time, first time I used killed bugs in the garage for three years, I may have upped the dose a little. :shock:

Byron
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote:
OldWin wrote:. I named him Hermon and left him there.
Jay,
I'm ashamed of you........you named him "Hermon?" Should have been a female name starting with the letter "H".

That reminds me, I'm going to the potty room to drop off a Hillary at the pool. :D -----6

I couldn't have called it Hillary, I don't hate spiders that much.
Harriet, maybe.......
Ooh,ooh, I know.........Charlotte.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I had a Wolf Spider I fed for 3 years. Never had to worry about any other bugs. You shouldn't have worry after this month. Sorry for your dog. But I really hate Fire Ants, little bassturds. Meet them once or twice every winter in Biloxi. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Crossman pellet rifle that disintegrates spiders when pumped to 5 or 6 and no pellet. Hold the muzzle about 2 inches away. I keep glue traps in places that the terrier-ist can't get to for the ones I don't see. The terrier-ist got into a glue trap once and required a buzz cut to free her. Fire ants are the worst. PillHer likes to walk barefoot in the yard. She somehow can find a fire ant den with her eyes closed. If there is one in the yard, she heads straight to it. I use The Dirt Doctor's natural recipe with jalapenos and limes in it for a quick kill method of getting rid of them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bulldog »

Ortho Home Defense works remarkably well, in my experience.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Spider? Did someone say .. BIG ... spider?

:?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ouse-video
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

jdad's link also showed a hobo spider trap.
Watch out for hobos! I got bit on one toe last year and it was months before my leg got better.
Small sores popped up on it all the way to my knee, itched something awful, I still have the varicose veins it caused and no treatment or anti venom available. It started to migrate to the other leg when it finally went away.
The males are so flat they'll fit under the weather strip of the doors and they'll travel a long way during breeding season.
Every time I see one of their funnel shaped webs now I soak it with wasp spray.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I walked outside today and was surprised by a swarm of bees all over the fender & hood of the wife's p/u. There was about a 1,000 of them in a huge bundle, and up to a 100 flying around. Not aggressive, but... not taking any chances, I hit them with some wasp spray. I'd had a hive in a tree, but they seem to have moved out.. I was worried about them building a hive under the hood, but it appears they didn't get that far.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hope they weren't honey bees!?
Wasps,hornets, yellow jackets - blast em to kingdom come!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, if it's one of these mouse catching spiders, I'd be using my 45 with Keith Loads or a 30-30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHv6X9x7KoA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J Miller wrote:Well, if it's one of these mouse catching spiders, I'd be using my 45 with Keith Loads or a 30-30.

Joe
Video gone.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

J Miller wrote:Well, if it's one of these mouse catching spiders, I'd be using my 45 with Keith Loads or a 30-30.

Joe

video remove by user! :(
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

2 parts gasoline 1 part fire.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:Man! What is it with spiders and snakes? Snakes don't bother me a lot unless I'm out in the boonies where help is 40 miles away but spiders send me into another dimension of instant defense.
+1 - both counts.

Jack, I'm with you 100%. I've never minded snakes. My roommate in college had a 5.5-ft boa, and ignored it after the first week. I was the only one who would hold it. It would wrap around me while I watched TV. Like my body heat. One big muscle, with teeth on the end.

The ONLY good spider is a dead one. I never understood why I feared them so much. My Dad told me a story when I was older that solved the mystery. Apparently, when I was a bit over a year old, we were living in Arkansas, and a huge spider walked out onto the driveway. He dossed it with gas and lit it on fire. Apparently it walked out of the fire twice before dying. To a kid it must have seemed like a indestructible monster. Thus, my subconscious fear. :shock:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well stuff. They must have pulled it right I posted the link.
Sorry bout that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

J Miller wrote:Well stuff. They must have pulled it right I posted the link.
Sorry bout that.

Joe
That's OK Joe. Lots more where that came from.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ches+mouse
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

a heavy foot always dose it for me.. :?
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:a heavy foot always dose it for me.. :?

See folks......This is what "good ole common sense" is all about. No primers, powder, bullets, pellets, salt, carburetor cleaner wasted. -----6

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I hate trying to fill boot holes in drywall...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sixgun wrote:
JOHNNY WACKO wrote:a heavy foot always dose it for me.. :?

See folks......This is what "good ole common sense" is all about. No primers, powder, bullets, pellets, salt, carburetor cleaner wasted. -----6
No fun!
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"