Pretty Happy Camper.........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Pretty Happy Camper.........

Post by Rube Burrows »

Okay, I am not camping but I am still pretty stoked. My supply of Trail boss was down to about 1.5 of the 9oz cans and my .22 mags were down to just a handful.

Locally I have not been able to find Trail Boss powder for a very long time. I like to use Trail Boss in all of my Cowboy loads. I went into a gun shop/pawn shop in Mississippi this past weekend and there was 8 cans of the powder. Now, the price was almost double what I paid for the last 9 oz cans I got. I don't know if that is just the times or the fact that its not made by IMR anymore. Either way, I got 4 cans and left 4 in case someone else was in the same situation as I was. I prob. should have just got it all but I was being neighborly.

.22mag bullets have been pretty scarce around here also. I hear that they come in on the truck but never make it to the shelves. That same place had more than I could buy of it. I bought several boxes at or better than what I paid for it last year.

Would love to see some of both back at my local stores though.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pretty Happy Camper.........

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Ray wrote:2400 is quite scarce too.......

i finally found some armscor .22 mag at $13.99/50 and bought all i could afford.......i really miss those winchester dynapoints.....

long rifle ammo is slowly getting back to normal but it looks like it is not going to be any cheaper than 8 cents a pop.....

.17 hmr seems plentiful and $2 to $3 less per box than .22 mag.

I bought some of the Winchester Dynapoints and also the Hornady. Both was 13.99 each. I was pretty happy. Like you, I really like the Winchester bullets. They shoot better in my gun than the Hornady does but just by a little.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I wasn't as nice as you with the Trail Boss, my lgs got some in and mentioned that I'd like some, he asked how many I wanted, told the guy 10 cans, he came out with the only case of the stuff that came off the truck, BOUGHT IT ALL! :mrgreen: Still looking for 2400! :x
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

1894cfan wrote:I wasn't as nice as you with the Trail Boss, my lgs got some in and mentioned that I'd like some, he asked how many I wanted, told the guy 10 cans, he came out with the only case of the stuff that came off the truck, BOUGHT IT ALL! :mrgreen: Still looking for 2400! :x

I prob. should have just grabbed it all also.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I am a fan of Trail Boss too. I have used it for CAS for the last several years with great results. Since I have NOT been able to locate any I have switched to Clays and Red Dot for my cowboy level cast bullet loads. You do have to be more careful of double charges but I load on a single stage press and throw charges into a loading block full of cases. A double or missing charge is easily seen at the pre bullet seating inspection. I load just like I shoot...... SLOW ! :lol:
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I am a fan of Trail Boss too. I have used it for CAS for the last several years with great results. Since I have NOT been able to locate any I have switched to Clays and Red Dot for my cowboy level cast bullet loads. You do have to be more careful of double charges but I load on a single stage press and throw charges into a loading block full of cases. A double or missing charge is easily seen at the pre bullet seating inspection. I load just like I shoot...... SLOW ! :lol:

Nothing wrong with that.

I was using a Dillon 650 several years back but ended up selling that machine to fund something I was more interested in at the time but I ended up getting a Redding T7 Turret Press and have really been using it lately and like it. Its slower than the 650 for sure but its faster than a true single stage press.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got 4 cans and left 4 in case someone else was in the same situation as I was.
That was very nice of you. I try to do the same thing.

I haven't bought any 22 LR ammo at all for about eight years, until today, but now I see lots of it all over the place, so I bought a brick of 500 for $54.00.

Now for those who say "That's price gouging...!!! :evil: " I have news for you....

According to the 'Inflation Calculator', the brick of 'generic' Winchester Wildcat I paid $9.99 for 'on sale' in 1974 would cost $48.92 today, and I was buying some premium Aguila Subsonics, so I don't think THAT is something we should whine too much about (now there is plenty of other stuff in the 'gun' world we do have reason to whine about, just not the cost of 22 LR... :wink: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "