CDL License

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

CDL License

Post by t.r. »

My career as a Construction Project Manager took a nose dive during this on going recession. So we decided to spend precious savings on CDL truck driving training. I passed all of my CDL-B testing today! It took about 3 hours to go thru the pre-trip inspection, air brakes, and road driving tests. The blind side parallel park gave me some difficulty at the beginning but I practiced over and over again until I got it right. I prayed during this time, "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me." This is a Bible verse. Praise the Lord that I passed!!

There are more jobs for CDL-A but I located a Teamster Union company that will hire me as a dock worker and train me to pass the CDL-A testing. There is also a spring water distributor that will hire me for CDL-B driving. So my future is looking hopeful.

Archery deer season has opened and I have a good spot for later this month.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CDL License

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well...congratulations!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Good luck, TR......It's a rugged road doing that.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Congratulations - Be careful out there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

congrats. thanks for blessing the Lord. I hope you succeed beyond your biggest dreams.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You've departed from the realm of J.O.B., and entered the "lifestyle" side of life. Similar to the "Twilight Zone" for the unitiated. Congrats, sort of... because in today's environment, you're now going to be tied to automatic loggin' device, that'll tell all that you still have hours... and you can still drive, regardless of how tired you are... and conversely, that you can't drive, no matter how awake you might be... you're no longer in control.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Griff wrote:You've departed from the realm of J.O.B., and entered the "lifestyle" side of life. Similar to the "Twilight Zone" for the unitiated. Congrats, sort of... because in today's environment, you're now going to be tied to automatic loggin' device, that'll tell all that you still have hours... and you can still drive, regardless of how tired you are... and conversely, that you can't drive, no matter how awake you might be... you're no longer in control.
One thing, if you can drive a truck you can always work, for me I may go hungry if I had to drive
and be gone for a month at a time ( tried that 40 yr. ago) I deliver propane to bout 600 homes
and I know most company's have problems keeping help, not that its that hard of work its just that most don't want to work HazMat is a pain to keep up but its just more gov. Pelosi

Brad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wait a minute. You lost your job and went looking for training to get another all by yourself? Why if that kind of spirit catches on it won't be long until everyone would be employed. We can't have that, the government wouldn't know what to do with working folks instead of those who are entitled to money for sitting on their butt smoking dope. :roll:

Congrats on passing the test. You might also consider getting HazMat certification. Even with a class B you can often find pretty good jobs if you're certified.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Welcome aboard! I did a couple years worth in the early 70's while stationed in south Georgia in the Navy. Whole different world then. Fast forward to 2009, I was laid off for the second time in two years, needed to get away from the car biz and at age 59 my choices were limited. Paid my dues working Walmart grocery dedicated at Schneider, then small regional carrier before landing a dream job at a very small division of a very large (one of the largest) corporation. Hauling specialty equipment to power plants. No freight people to deal with, awesome pay and benefits. Not perfect, on call 24/7, but was given 3 wks vacation to schedule the day I walked in the door so they try to mitigate the inconvenience. Actually have had more time with my grandkids than I would with a real job.

Try to settle in somewhere for at least a year, more is better. Work your butt off and don't complain, take the jobs no one else wants, do more than is expected. Basically what your Dad told you. Keep your eyes open, there are premium jobs out there.

I was asked to move to local/yard duty recently so now I'm working days and off weekends, but the days are long. Putting in 53-58 hours a week but putting away more for retirement. I'm 65 now and hoping to work at least two more, maybe until 70 if I can pass the physical.

Post by 308magtip »

since you are from Lancaster co,try Worley and Obetz fuel delivery.Need training go check out Career and tech center in Brownstown.If a vet use GI bill benefits.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

You'll never get rich driving a truck, but you will have lots of good (and bad) experiences to remember. I drove line hauling produce from CA east. Some time as a delivery driver, (Dr. Pepper and air freight) and I wouldn't give up any of it. Some times were not the most pleasant (stuck in Lodi, broke, for a weekend 'till the processing plant opened and accepted my load of Idaho corn) but lots of good memories (driving down Salt Creek in Oregon hauling lunch meat to Portland, awe struck by God's beautiful scenery).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Where you at in Lancaster Co ,Pa? I am 2 miles north of the Green Dragon Farmers Market.