Let's see your coolest old gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Let's see your coolest old gun

Post by jnyork »

This thread is for you to share pix of your favorite old gun that you take out and shoot every so often, not necessarily the most expensive collectors item that reposes in the safe. It will be the old smokepole you treasure because it was your Dad's or one you just think is too cool for school. Here's mine:

This is a gun I got from an older fellow who lived in Southgate, CA. It is a Savage Model 23D, .22 Hornet, with a Weaver K-12 scope. This model rifle, from the 1930's, was a very plain-Jane economy model to begin with. The older fellow related to me that he had lived next door to a guy who was a stockmaker for Weatherby when they had their plant there in Southgate and had purchased the gun from that neighbor many years previously. I have no reason to doubt the story, old guy did not seem like a BS'er and the finish of the stock supports the story. The checkering is first-class, the ivory (?) insets and grip cap are certainly reminiscent of Weatherby. Whatever the story, it shoots equally as well as my CZ 527 .22 Hornet. It gives me a great deal of pleasure to shoot it, I take it along on every prairie dog hunt and always run it out of ammo before I reach for another.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Let's see your coolest old gun

Post by JerryB »

That sure does fit the name of your post, it is the coolest old gun. That is a real treasure for sure.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

For me it's my Grandfather's 1903 Sporter. He had every ounce of metal taken off of it he could to make it as light as possible.
Incredibly accurate with everything from 125 gr. Sierra's to some 180 grain bullets I had. My Dad gave it to me on my 30th birthday, just short of twenty years ago. I've taken a pile of white tail and many other critters and will always be my favorite.

We've traveled many trails together and I hope there a many more to come.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've got lots of old guns but this one gives me great pleasure shooting it at the matches or just shooting it. I've only had it for about 5 years but I remember this gun back when I was 18 as it belonged to a buddy of my BIL who never shot it. On seeing this gun back then (1972) I was mesmerized by its size and often thought about it, especially when my BIL's buddy died about 10-12 years ago. Fast forward close to 40 years later I spot this guy walking around with a Colt Lightning serial number 58 walking it around at a gun show trying to sell it. Well, I bought the the Colt and asked him if he had anything else that he was selling. He said "yea, I got this old lever action out in the trunk of the car". When he opened the trunk I about pelosi right there well remembering the gun and I told him, "This gun belongs to Billy M. and how did you get it?" He said he was Billy M's son and I pelosi right there again. By now my pants were a stinkin' mess as I said, "the last time I saw you, you were a baby and your dad showed me this gun". He said, "yea, now I know who you are, my dad used to talk about you".

I've said this before, special guns have a soul and it must have been a ten million to one shot (no pun intended) that it came to me this way. Anyway, This 1881 Marlin first year production has a special order 30" extra heavy buffalo barrel and weighs 12 pounds. The bore is perfect and can hit beer cans at 300 meters. I've since added a no drill and tap 36" MVA scope on it and has since eaten up 1400 rounds. Chambered for the 40-60 Marlin cartridge, accurate, and a super-odds -against-me-getting-it make it my favorite old time gun.-----6

My favorite old sixgun.....An original Colt 1862 Police cap and ball that has a similar but not as cool story. This gun stays loaded above my gun bench and within easy reach. One of the last Colt cap and balls to be made....in 1873. The hook is usually not there :D

Well, being that I'm half Italian and easily confused it's a toss up between the above Colt and these Colts, especially the Colt single action slip gun that Elmer Keith shot at his ranch back in 1928. The others are a Colt 1902 Phillipine "Alaskan" in 45 Colt and a first gen Colt single action 38-40 with a 7 and 1/2" barrel. All of these guns get shot somewhat regularly and are all excellent shooters......even the slip gun......after all, Elmer shot the 700 yard target with this gun...but it took him 11 shots.

Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It took no thought on my part , the coolest one I have in my possession is an old circa 1881 W&C Scott 10 gauge my grandfather was given by one of the DuPonts when he returned from WWII . The gun needed some cleaning up etc but he got it function in grand form !

Used the old gun to take the first deer I ever got with buckshot . Handloads I did myself no less .

Used it to take some December dove and of course with my handloads !

I also used it last season to take the first Canadian Goose I ever fired at and again with Bismuth I handloaded .

I suppose the next closest is my little circa 1928 Parker VHE 20 gauge . A gun I've known since I was maybe 7 or 8 and we were able to acquire two years ago !

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

This is my favorite because of the story behind it, and because it is the reason that I have a love affair with lever guns.
My dad bought it in 1929 at an auction for $1.50 or $1.75. (After 5 moves, I cant find the paper I have it written on.) The auctioneer handed it to my dad and said here kid, use it for a crowbar! It is a 40-82, 2nd year production. He never did shoot that rifle because the only ammo he ever saw for it was too expensive to buy. (IIRC it was $15 for a box.) The whole time I was growing up, I would sneak into my dad's closet and work that lever and struggle to hold it up to my shoulder and look through the sights. Before he passed, Dad gave me this rifle and I have been shooting it since 2008. It now has a Marbles tang sight on it which sure helped me to shoot more accurately.
100_1886_4082_8a-3_zps9475a7cb.JPG
This is the best 100 yard target I have shot with it. 2.5 with the flyer, 1.26 5 shot group without the flyer.
40-82 Best Group 2.5 inches at 100 yards.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geobru on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

I don't know if it's my "coolest" old gun but it is my favorite one to shoot.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

OK -- not exactly old -- (Springield M1A- I have no idea how old it is, but its not "vintage" at all)

But I grew up interested in the M-14 due to my dad's service in Vietnam -----

This is not me, but an Army buddy helping me sight it in initially

Was fun for me to get together with a replica of my dad's rifle, -- and my best friend , and wring this thing out
------ He is 100% disabled due to PTSD and a few other things , but he loved to rock this thing down range !

--- my buddy is one of those un-sung heroes who is so capable and so well trained, but evidently saw too much in his tours in Bosnia , that he is vegged out in a lot of ways --- I value this pic ----- He has degraded in the past 12-15 months so bad that I almost don't trust taking him to the range, but for that cold, nasty day we spent behind the trigger, he was on point

----- Doug
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

This old 92 SRC .38wcf is far from my best, but it's just kinda cool and I use it without worry. I was actually paid to take it.
Went to see a guy about 15 years ago to buy a 92 TD and a 73 SRC, both .38's. We hadn't really talked cash yet and he drags out this poor old carbine, "Maybe you'll want this one, too." It's got ZERO finish, some pitting all over, but the bore is nice. I say, "maybe".
As I left, I did the math (slowly, I'm from Maine), and I figger he basically paid me 5-700 bucks to take the old girl after what I paid for the other two. The ugly old thing shoots great and I love to pack it "woods loafing".

I threw in my old .45 cause......well.....I think it's cool. I got it from and old friend who taught me a lot about old guns. He used to let me borrow it every hunting season for years. Then finally sold it to me dirt cheap.
He is one of the best.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Very cool guns up above! :mrgreen:

Mine would have to be this Winchester 1885 Single Shot in 22 LR (the original caliber, but it has been relined) with a heavy-profile 1/2-round/octagon barrel and vintage Lyman tang sight.

My late father actually let my twin do the checkering on it after he graduated from GE's Apprentice Program; and he did a pretty darn good job:
Winch High Wal 22 01 (Medium).jpg
Winch High Wal 22 02 (Medium).jpg
And here she is on the bench alongside my Low Wall in 17 HMR:
Low and High Walls 01 (Medium).jpg
Note the bubble-level in place of the original rear sight -- works very well in that position. I've recently added a Lee Shaver Hadley eye cup on the tang sight which I like better than the old one shown.
High Wall 22 02 (Medium).jpg
Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My repro Stevens 49.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote:My repro Stevens 49.

Nice !

I'd still like to get a CPA 44 1/2 in the Pope Schuetzen configuration with barrels in 25-21 Stevens and 28-30 Stevens and of course nice old Unertl's or Lyman Targetspots on top .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

In keeping with the guidelines set for this thread; this is one of my favorites! This is a late #3 Ballard in .22RF, with a presentation plaque inlaid into the left buttstock. It reads, "To Lt. Charles Phillips, From the 3rd Regt., 4th Maine Artillery"

This is one of only a few guns I've purchased off an internet auction, and I was very excited when I stumbled across it. Apparently I was the only one excited, as I got it for the seller's opening bid, as nobody else bid on it! Fools!
The original owner of the Ballard was given the gun as a gift on his promotion to Captain, and transfer to another unit. Rare for enlisted men to think enough of an officer to give him any gift, so I was impressed and wanted to learn more about Lt. Charles Phillips. He graduated West Point 13th in his class in 1881, and went on to serve over 40 years in the Army as an artillery officer. Serving during the Spanish American War, and WWI, and after retiring he took a post as a Colonel at a base in the Puget Sound with an Army Reserve unit. Later on his 2nd retirement he was returned to the rank of Brigadier General. By chance; the young Lieutenant's first duty assignment was at the mouth of the Columbia River, about 85 miles from my home! His last assignment was about 150 miles north of me!
As much as I admire the General's long military career, the owner I got the gun from is also very interesting, and modest. She sold the gun through a broker, and I asked for history of how she came by the gun. She said her brother was given the gun in the 1930's by the General, as he was a family friend and liked her brother Heath Hovey. Heath died in a car crash in Death Valley, near their home, and his father put the gun up. At his passing, Marjorie inherited the gun and it stayed in her possession until I bought it.
Her parents owned the first radio station in Death Valley, and Marjorie went on to college, and a career in journalism. She did sports reporting for the San Francisco Chronicle under the name of "Mike" and was the first female sports reporter West of the Mississippi! Once her true identity was discovered, she was already a well read reporter, so the Chronicle simply let her put her true name on her articles. Her omission of her personal history seems overly modest now. I've often wondered how unusual it is for two people with such illustrious careers could end up owning the same gun?
This surely isn't the most expensive, or prettiest gun I own. But it certainly is one of my favorites, and I am happy I was the only person who thought it was worth bidding on!

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=73414782&

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/G ... 2891*.html

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... dSn8OkbXJ8
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great thread, fellas. Marlinman, thanks for sharing "the rest of the story" on that Ballard. Jdad, that Stevens is a real doozy.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Great thread, fellas. Marlinman, thanks for sharing "the rest of the story" on that Ballard. Jdad, that Stevens is a real doozy.
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Great thread, fellas. Marlinman, thanks for sharing "the rest of the story" on that Ballard. Jdad, that Stevens is a real doozy.
You're surely welcome! So many of the old guns we own probably have a great story behind them. But that little plaque really gave me such a thrill, as I knew it could lead to a much easier person to gather provenance on! The story is really what makes this fairly common Ballard #3.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Yall guys have some awesome old guns. I have a couple old .22 rifles that belonged to my grandfather and some more that will eventually be passed down to me but my Great Grandfather's guns were stolen by family members while we were at the funeral. In the will he left them to me and my brother but you know how some family members can get when someone passes on. They were stolen before he was in the ground.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

marlinman93 wrote:In keeping with the guidelines set for this thread; this is one of my favorites! This is a late #3 Ballard in .22RF, with a presentation plaque inlaid into the left buttstock. It reads, "To Lt. Charles Phillips, From the 3rd Regt., 4th Maine Artillery"

This is one of only a few guns I've purchased off an internet auction, and I was very excited when I stumbled across it. Apparently I was the only one excited, as I got it for the seller's opening bid, as nobody else bid on it! Fools!
The original owner of the Ballard was given the gun as a gift on his promotion to Captain, and transfer to another unit. Rare for enlisted men to think enough of an officer to give him any gift, so I was impressed and wanted to learn more about Lt. Charles Phillips. He graduated West Point 13th in his class in 1881, and went on to serve over 40 years in the Army as an artillery officer. Serving during the Spanish American War, and WWI, and after retiring he took a post as a Colonel at a base in the Puget Sound with an Army Reserve unit. Later on his 2nd retirement he was returned to the rank of Brigadier General. By chance; the young Lieutenant's first duty assignment was at the mouth of the Columbia River, about 85 miles from my home! His last assignment was about 150 miles north of me!
As much as I admire the General's long military career, the owner I got the gun from is also very interesting, and modest. She sold the gun through a broker, and I asked for history of how she came by the gun. She said her brother was given the gun in the 1930's by the General, as he was a family friend and liked her brother Heath Hovey. Heath died in a car crash in Death Valley, near their home, and his father put the gun up. At his passing, Marjorie inherited the gun and it stayed in her possession until I bought it.
Her parents owned the first radio station in Death Valley, and Marjorie went on to college, and a career in journalism. She did sports reporting for the San Francisco Chronicle under the name of "Mike" and was the first female sports reporter West of the Mississippi! Once her true identity was discovered, she was already a well read reporter, so the Chronicle simply let her put her true name on her articles. Her omission of her personal history seems overly modest now. I've often wondered how unusual it is for two people with such illustrious careers could end up owning the same gun?
This surely isn't the most expensive, or prettiest gun I own. But it certainly is one of my favorites, and I am happy I was the only person who thought it was worth bidding on!

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=73414782&

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/G ... 2891*.html

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... dSn8OkbXJ8

As I'm sure you can imagine, I think that is just awesome!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sixgun wrote:I've got lots of old guns but this one gives me great pleasure shooting it at the matches or just shooting it. I've only had it for about 5 years but I remember this gun back when I was 18 as it belonged to a buddy of my BIL who never shot it. On seeing this gun back then (1972) I was mesmerized by its size and often thought about it, especially when my BIL's buddy died about 10-12 years ago. Fast forward close to 40 years later I spot this guy walking around with a Colt Lightning serial number 58 walking it around at a gun show trying to sell it. Well, I bought the the Colt and asked him if he had anything else that he was selling. He said "yea, I got this old lever action out in the trunk of the car". When he opened the trunk I about pelosi right there well remembering the gun and I told him, "This gun belongs to Billy M. and how did you get it?" He said he was Billy M's son and I pelosi right there again. By now my pants were a stinkin' mess as I said, "the last time I saw you, you were a baby and your dad showed me this gun". He said, "yea, now I know who you are, my dad used to talk about you".

I've said this before, special guns have a soul and it must have been a ten million to one shot (no pun intended) that it came to me this way. Anyway, This 1881 Marlin first year production has a special order 30" extra heavy buffalo barrel and weighs 12 pounds. The bore is perfect and can hit beer cans at 300 meters. I've since added a no drill and tap 36" MVA scope on it and has since eaten up 1400 rounds. Chambered for the 40-60 Marlin cartridge, accurate, and a super-odds -against-me-getting-it make it my favorite old time gun.-----6

My favorite old sixgun.....An original Colt 1862 Police cap and ball that has a similar but not as cool story. This gun stays loaded above my gun bench and within easy reach. One of the last Colt cap and balls to be made....in 1873. The hook is usually not there :D

Well, being that I'm half Italian and easily confused it's a toss up between the above Colt and these Colts, especially the Colt single action slip gun that Elmer Keith shot at his ranch back in 1928. The others are a Colt 1902 Phillipine "Alaskan" in 45 Colt and a first gen Colt single action 38-40 with a 7 and 1/2" barrel. All of these guns get shot somewhat regularly and are all excellent shooters......even the slip gun......after all, Elmer shot the 700 yard target with this gun...but it took him 11 shots.

As always, you have the best toys. That little slip gun with the Keith/Croft connection is extraordinary. What a great piece of sixgun history in the hands of Sixgun himself!

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

This is a most interesting thread...keep em coming boys!.......stories make it more interesting.

Eric...I heard this about 30 or 40 years ago....."The guy who dies with the most toys is the winner". Don't know if it makes sense or not but dang, I'm trying to win. :D -----6
Model A Uzi’s
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

This shotgun was made in 1867 and is in fantastic condition. It was one of the earliest center fire guns in existance. People don't realize how innovative this really was to have a center fire outside primed shell at this time in History.

Steven Dodd Hughes wrote a double feature on it for Shooting Sportsman...

On the table...

In the field...

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is an amazing shotgun! great article, and great use of the gun.
cable
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

This is a Remington rolling block in 38 rimfire my grandfather bought on the side of the road in upstate NY back in the 60s.

And this was my great uncles gun he used in the 40S, 50s, and 60s for deer hunting
I wonder if he bought it from the guy named on the forestock

They may not be the coolest old guns......but they are they are 3rd generation family guns!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I don't have a coolest old gun it is actually a pair and I will do everything in my power to make sure they stay together. In 1959 or 1960, unbeknownst to anyone but my Grandmother, my Dad gave my Grandfather a semi auto 22 rifle with a fixed four power scope on it for Christmas, as a squirrel gun. Well that same year my Grandfather and Grandmother were giving my Dad a 22 semi auto rifle with a fixed four power scope on it for Christmas. They are not the same model but very similar rifles. On Christmas morning my Grandmother apparently was smiling ear to ear as she knew the rest of the story as Mr. HARVEY would say. Guns were with each owner for 40 years or so then when Dad died I inherited his and very shortly before Grandfather died he gave me the other one. Now they set beside each other in one of the gun safes. For sale? Sure but nobody can afford them. Try to take em? Ok but bring friends! Gotta go something in my eye making screen blury.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

fordwannabe wrote:I don't have a coolest old gun it is actually a pair and I will do everything in my power to make sure they stay together. In 1959 or 1960, unbeknownst to anyone but my Grandmother, my Dad gave my Grandfather a semi auto 22 rifle with a fixed four power scope on it for Christmas, as a squirrel gun. Well that same year my Grandfather and Grandmother were giving my Dad a 22 semi auto rifle with a fixed four power scope on it for Christmas. They are not the same model but very similar rifles. On Christmas morning my Grandmother apparently was smiling ear to ear as she knew the rest of the story as Mr. HARVEY would say. Guns were with each owner for 40 years or so then when Dad died I inherited his and very shortly before Grandfather died he gave me the other one. Now they set beside each other in one of the gun safes. For sale? Sure but nobody can afford them. Try to take em? Ok but bring friends! Gotta go something in my eye making screen blury.
those are treasures ! hope you take them each out into the squirrel woods every fall.
cable
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:This is a Remington rolling block in 38 rimfire my grandfather bought on the side of the road in upstate NY back in the 60s.

They may not be the coolest old guns......but they are they are 3rd generation family guns!
That Remington #2 is pretty nice, and rarely seen with that correct curved base tang sight that only fits the #2 Roller!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Maybe not the coolest, but one of the most interesting I have owned: a Remington-Lee Model 1899 Sporting Rifle. This was a nice refinement on what became the British military Lee-Enfields, with dual forward locking lugs and very slim, trim feel, even with 26-inch barrel. This one is in .30-30, but I fear the bore is shot. I had thought of having it bored to .35 Winchester, one of the original chamberings, but this would require major magazine modifications. So I think I will have it rebored to .35-30, one of our very oldest wildcats.
It's funny. I don't care a bit for modern Remington long guns, but those made prior to the Depression are among my favorites.

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Very rare, Burgess cutaway shotgun from the 1890's...

ImageImage
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Shrapnel wrote:Very rare, Burgess cutaway shotgun from the 1890's...

ImageImage

holy cow. I have a burgess shotgun , and I know [ you outbid me ] you have two burgess pump rifles.

I am chronically jealous ! :mrgreen:
cable
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

This one is pretty old:
But this one is older;
Note that is a "high" arch trapdoor...serial number is 4 digits...and one of the originals that still had a firing pin spring.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Another extremely rare Burgess folding shotgun and holster from the 1890's...

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Still another extremely rare Burgess gun, this one is a 2 barrel set in 44-40. This is a wrist slide action similar to the shotguns...

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Shrapnel wrote:Another extremely rare Burgess folding shotgun and holster from the 1890's...

that is one I have wanted for years. :mrgreen:
cable
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

W O W
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I must say Shrapnel, that folder sure is impressive. So is the cutaway. I can get a Colt AR-15 cutaway but it just don't interest me.

Marlinman.....I too, had my eye on that tang sight. That's a rare baby.------6 :D
Model A Uzi’s
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Francotte martini made in Belgium retailed by j vennables and sons in London at the turn of the century, 22lr cal, 26 inch ovate barrel with full rib on barrel and express sights
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Some other rare guns, Whitney Phoenix in 44-40 and 38 CF. They are a swing open single shot...

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i am going to have to take some pictures.....maybe my 1886 bullard 45/70 lever gun or the 1878 burgess 45/70 lever gun ..........or the baker drilling in 12 x 12 x 44/40...or....
cable
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That's right Doc Cable and just maybe we will enjoy seeing them, thanks.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

This one is another scarce gun, a Sharps shipped to J.G. Dow in Bozeman, Montana territory in 1879. It was used in the last of the northern buffalo hunts in Montana in the 1880's. It is one of 8 known, so marked by A.D. Mcausland from Miles City, Montana Territory...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Unfortunately here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania it is deemed ver Boten to use semi auto rifles to hunt. I completely understand NOT!
SEEMS silly to me but here in Pa you are not allowedto try new ideas.....EVER. The state motto should be ...we never did it that way before so no.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ford, how long has that been the case? I was just reading Ken Waters' Pet Loads article on the .30 Remington and he mentioned that the semi-auto Model 8 was very popular in the Adirondacks and in Maine, while in Pennsylvania, the boys seemed to prefer the Remington Model 14 pumps ...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

KirkD

Post by KirkD »

Some very amazing eye candy in this entire thread! Here is my oldest gun, a Colt SAA made in 1882.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is a really fine SAA !!
cable
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk do you still carry that Colt and your 1954 94 30-30 on your wilderness canoe trips? It is sure a fine Colt.

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

First generation SAA with a few adjustments...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

This is probably a stoopid question, but can that cutaway be fired? Looks well used... :?:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

claybob86 wrote:
This is probably a stoopid question, but can that cutaway be fired? Looks well used... :?:
I don't know if that is a stupid question, but I do think it may not be smart to shoot it...
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote:Kirk do you still carry that Colt and your 1954 94 30-30 on your wilderness canoe trips? It is sure a fine Colt.
It depends. If I have a heavy pack and a canoe to carry, I'll just strap on the Colt SAA. Otherwise, the 30-30 carbine 'Old Savage' comes with me. It also comes with me in the trunk when I'm travelling by car.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/