Active Shooter training...again.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Active Shooter training...again.

Post by 1894c »

I just finished my 8th in-service active shooter at my LE Agency. This is one of a couple training sessions that reminds me that our culture has really changed, and NOT in a good way. With that said I've been messing with single-stack 9mm's, especially as a BUG/EDC when I am out and about for the last two years.

I own(ed) both a M&P Shield and a Glock 43, but with the above mentioned recent training I'm going back to my Glock 26 with a Glock 19 mag as a reload--WHY--it's all about capacity. With the recent rise in multiple assailants, Islamic terrorism, and the armed mentally ill killer, capacity "trumps" comfort...plus I really shoot a G-26 better than any other handgun I own (been carrying one since 1996) ...so today I sold off a couple of single-stack 9mm's... :)
Glock-26 Gen4.a.jpg
Glock-26 Gen4.b.jpg
woman.gun (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Active Shooter training...again.

Post by AJMD429 »

I am kind of thinking the same thing. Carrying my Para Ordnance P-14 more vs the Sig 938, even though the Sig is a really nice gun. 15x45 > 7x9.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don't let the good lookin' broad get behind ya!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The ghetto rats tried to burn some guy alive the other day. Capacity is good. Well aimed shots are better.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My hat is off to all LE.....you boys have your hands full with the rising number of low life's in society along with the increased mental illness these thugs bring.

I am really not sure if Donald can reverse this trend....it's pretty much imbedded in a sizable amount of the inner cities and their populations.

Yea, if I was a cop I'd do the same...plus a hide out gun as an instant reload.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

My EDC (thanks Blaine) has been a Sig P6. Single stack 9mm stoked with Hornady Critical Defence . Hits right where you look, same as full metal jacket loads. Limited to eight in mag, carry an extra mag, but maybe still not enough. Recently got a crack at a Springfield XD45 with two 13 rnd mags..took just a little getting used to, but this pistol is a NATURAL pointer..keeps a pop can dancing across the yard as long as you can see it. I LIKE this pistol! No controls to remember, no safety, just point and press the trigger. What's not to like?
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My EDC used to be a "J" frame and sometimes with a reload close by... some time not.

Things have changed. EDC is now a G26 with a spare G19 mag. A 33 round "fun stick" is also easy to come by.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, things ain't pretty. It's not real bad up here but its worse than it was.
Most of the year, I pack a Colt LW Commander or a 2.5" round Butt S&W 19. When it's hot, I carried a j-frame or a PF9 (don't judge).
Not any more. Started carrying a Glock 19 in appendix this summer on advice from my son. Took some getting used to but I like it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Still EDC the Compact Commander, but carry the Zig when in anyplace with more than 15k people.

(hmmm... that might be the calculus... 1 round per 1K people... lessee... Denver... 649 rounds. Yep. Should be enough. :twisted: )

15 round mags just don't work well in the 1911.

I think I might get another G27 again though if I have to spend more time in Casper/Denver SLC...

(Why the 27 and not the 26? Because I can turn the 27 into a 26, but not the other way around...)
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

EDC? Had to look it up.....never was any good with this modern day Internet lingo. Learn somethin' new everyday.

You guys are giving me second thoughts. I've always been content ......like Rusty......with a j frame 'Smith and like him....sometimes a reload close by...sometimes not.

I just know what's gonna happen when I break out the 1911, Smith 59, or the Smith M&P.......gonna get lazy carrying around two- three pounds of steel. Think I'll just put a j frame in each pocket for balance.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Six, that's why I mentioned "thanks Blaine". I had to PM him one time to ask what the heck is "EDC". He was talking about a knife, but since I learned what it meant figured I better use the term to make myself look smart.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think about this active shooter stuff, more often because its in the news, more often, but about the only change I have made is I almost always choose my main EDC Gun instead of out of convenience choosing the small pocket stuff, etc.

So, I have put the investment into good CCW holsters, mostly Milt Sparks IWB holsters, and now days I almost always carry one of my Light Weight Colt Commanders, because I shoot them well, and I can reload pretty fast. But the other thing that gives me confidence is I actually shoot IDPA competition with a 5 inch 1911 every week, and I use for the most part the same holsters I CCW with.

And on occasion I will actually compete with my Lightweight Commander, and will sometimes shoot it just as well or close to the 5 inch 1911. Some will say that IDPA competition is not actually training and I will agree, but it's still pretty good practice, and helps with maintaining basic shooting skills, and it's fun, and it makes me practice and shoot more. So, I don't worry too much about high capacity, because I know what I can do with the top of magazine, and I can reload pretty fast. That's the one thing shooting competition every week does is it helps to keep you and your guns tuned up.
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:15 round mags just don't work well in the 1911.

You're right.....my 15 round magazines stick out a bit farther than the 14 round ones, just for that one extra round of 45 ACP.... :D :wink: :mrgreen:

The 1911 frame there is on a Mech-Tech "upper" and what's really cool is that it takes the 20 round magazines I just got... :twisted: Those DO stick out some, but only about two inches (about as far as the lowest hole on your 15-round single-stack magazine).

With a grip circumference only 3/16" larger than a single-stack, double-stack 1911's are really nice...!

Para Ordnance and Rock Island both make them. RI makes 1911's in 45 ACP, 9mm, 22 TCM, 10mm, 22 LR, and now in 22 WMR (not all are double-stack - just the 45's, 9mm, and 22 TCM I think). The 22 TCM can be had as a combo (barrel swap) with 9mm, and I believe the 22 WMR same with a 45 ACP swap setup.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:EDC? Had to look it up.....never was any good with this modern day Internet lingo. Learn somethin' new everyday
I apologize for the "EDC" gun-speak, that's what I get for hanging with a bunch of young LEO's. I also own two J-frames (air-weight), a S&W 642, 638, they are great guns for shorts and flip-flop weather and as a BUG (back-up-gun). I kept both j-frames over the single-stack 9mms, because I have always had one and I like the options they provide (easy to shoot, can shoot inside of a pocket, simplicity, easy to hide/carry, easy for a non-shooter to use, mis-fire easily dealt with, and will fire when shoved up someone's...). When I carry my J-frames I carry three speed strips with 4 rounds in each one, 4 rnds makes for a very fast reload. But as I stated, I'm carrying my Glock 26 on a daily basis... :)
70713.jpg
s&w.638.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Try a Grip adapter on your 26 (this is a 27) it allows you to use a G19 Mag of 15 rounds and feels good to boot.
It is not the critic who counts
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

To my mind, it's about shot placement, and lots o' BBs on tap. Talk to anyone who's ever been in a gunfight and none of 'em say they would've rather had a mouse gun and less ammo.

If I still lived in a liberal haven like the Seattle area (where I'm from) I'd be sure to be heavily armed, always. No single stacks for me. Sometimes a reload just isn't in the cards, you need to just keep fighting. When the guy yelling "Aloha Snack Bar" is scrambling for his bomb ignitor is no time to be swapping mags.

Mr. Stanley, the answer for me to your question as to what's not to like about any Xd gun is that to be able to fully strip the pistol there are two special tools you need that the factory won't sell. May not be a problem for you: it's a show stopper for me.

If you really want to do something interesting, play a mental game with yourself. Next time your out somewhere in the public, stop for a moment and visualize four terrorists showing up and wanting to party. One moment everything's normal the next it's panic time. Once you've got that well set up in your mind, ask yourself: am I ready? Do I have 1) the right attitude and 2) the right tools for the task? What do I do? How do I exit this kill zone? Am I really, really ready to kill these four guys?

I think the thread starter has done this and that's why he sold the single stacks. :)

Your mileage may vary.

Cat
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Old Ironsights wrote:
(Why the 27 and not the 26? Because I can turn the 27 into a 26, but not the other way around...)

Just did that, LWD barrel arrives real soon.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:15 round mags just don't work well in the 1911.

You're right.....my 15 round magazines stick out a bit farther than the 14 round ones, just for that one extra round of 45 ACP.... :D :wink: :mrgreen:

The 1911 frame there is on a Mech-Tech "upper" and what's really cool is that it takes the 20 round magazines I just got... :twisted: Those DO stick out some, but only about two inches (about as far as the lowest hole on your 15-round single-stack magazine).

With a grip circumference only 3/16" larger than a single-stack, double-stack 1911's are really nice...!

Para Ordnance and Rock Island both make them. RI makes 1911's in 45 ACP, 9mm, 22 TCM, 10mm, 22 LR, and now in 22 WMR (not all are double-stack - just the 45's, 9mm, and 22 TCM I think). The 22 TCM can be had as a combo (barrel swap) with 9mm, and I believe the 22 WMR same with a 45 ACP swap setup.
It's not the circumference that bothers me as much as the diameter.

A very little bit in the diameter makes a big difference under the polo...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I was in my breakfast spot a few days ago -- a place where I've been 2 hundred times probably over the last 10 years --- I know the help, the owners are familiar faces, etc etc --- I don't chat it up - I'm just a guy eating breakfast by myself a couple times a week

The last time I was in, I had an odd feeling and started looking around for the booth/table that would be the most tactically advantageous if anything popped off

It was disconcerting - I tried to concentrate on the Kindle book I was reading but to no avail ------- it was 1130 am and I was having a late brunch and the place was very sparsely populated -- I just thought -- "I'm a big blonde guy with a crew cut - that screams COP to some "(seriously - people have asked me that ) -- which means I might be targeted quicker

It momentarily freaked me out -- I ate my breakfast in peace but I have been carrying just about everywhere ever since

I live in pure "White bread USA" --- our greatest fear is usually tornadoes and hail . outside of typical "married guy stuff" ----- but then again - my town is Moore OK, the place where an un-hinged felon who converted to islam in prison killed a couple of women 2 years ago with a fillet knife in a gruesome fashion -- chalked up to workplace violence no doubt

I do not like thinking about "tactical stuff" while I am trying to eat some eggs and bacon -- I hate that this is what its come to

I still carry pretty light in these surroundings --- either one of the little Glock 380's, a Sig 238, or a Smith Airweight is usually in my pocket, but more often than not, a G-20 with a spare mag is in the jeep as well

Again --- I don't celebrate going unarmed - but I w ish I wasn't so weirded out on the random occasions that I'm not carrying
----- Doug
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I too really hate having to be armed. What kind of world is like that? If I was a cop,criminal or a spy, sure. But I'm not any of those things. *Sigh* It is what it is, though.

The next time you're sitting there eating breakfast, think about if you wanted to draw that .380 from your pocket with attracting any attention how would you do it?

These days especially I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a cop by the wrong people. I feel for the good cops. Just like good teachers, they are taking the heat for their bad eggs and their extra stupid admin people.

Cat
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I used to carry a G19 and one extra mag all the time. I felt like I had a good defensive position with that and some offensive capability too. Over the years I have switched to a single stack 9 and one extra mag. Some of that is my back hurting and some of it is just laziness I guess. I am no longer in a high crime area so that is part of it too.

When it comes to active shooters with a single stack gun and two mags total, a man would have a shot at handling two assailants it seems. With about 15 rounds total you can get several hits and miss a little and hope that is enough.

Like the OP says though the G26 with a G19 extra mag is probably the best of both worlds. A very shootable and carryable gun with a decent amount of ammo on you.

One big thing though is where you are when things happen. It is very important to always sit or be in a position of advantage. What I call "having a right handed shot at the world". It is amazing how "lucky" you can be when you start off a bad situation from the right spot.

If anyone starts cranking off rounds unjustifiably in my proximity he is in for a tough time.