Last weekend's trip to the cabin in PA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Last weekend's trip to the cabin in PA

Post by 2ndovc »

Finally feeling good enough and even more importantly strong enough to get to our cabin in NW Penn.
The weather was perfect and the time flew by. Great time hanging out with my dad before heads back to Florida.
I did a lot of shooting and a little hiking, endurance isn't back to normal but getting better faster every day. It's been a tough
year but like they say if it doesn't kill you it just makes you stronger!

Obligatory cabin photo.

There's a clearing at the top of one of the mountains( well mountains to us flatlanders) that serves nicely as an impromptu range. There's usually enough stuff lying around to make a target stand. In this case a slightly burned sheet of plywood.

Started out with the new Ruger American in 300 Blackout. Finally got it sighted in with the new Bushnell 3-9. Was very happy with that one. Next up was the M1A Scout rifle I picked up from a fellow here that was kind enough to sell me this beautiful rifle and true to my M1A experiences I was in the black in less than 5 rounds! Love these rifles!! Also did some more plinking with the Remington R1 1911 with some hand loads. Really like this .45! I was given some .45ACP CCI Shot shells. I was really surprised that shot a pretty nasty little pattern from about 10' but also cycled the action. Pretty cool.

Once again really disappointed with Remington ammunition. Five rounds out of 20 did not fire out the Ruger Blackout!
Fired the same number of S&B and Federal ammo without any failures so it's not the rifle.
I bought two hundred rounds of this stuff and am real tempted to send it all back with a nasty little note!

Next morning back out with the Remington and Ruger MK II Target. Really liking the Ruger now that the sights have been blue locktited down and the grip screws tightened. :shock:

My dad bought our cabin almost 50 years ago for us. I love it up there, I always feel like I'm home.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: Last weekend's trip to the cabin in PA

Post by plowboy 45 »

Sure sounds like a good time, and a neat place to have that good time
Safe trip for dad to FLA
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

plowboy 45 wrote:Sure sounds like a good time, and a neat place to have that good time
Safe trip for dad to FLA
Agree completely, what a great place to spend time with your Dad.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a great selection for your shooting trip to the cabin!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:What a great selection for your shooting trip to the cabin!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Plus one ..... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Once again, there's nothing like solitude away from all of the bs. Having a fun time blasting caps from your favorite firearms makes life all the more worth living.

Enjoy life while you can.....your huntin' cabin may be needed in the near future...I sense a strong storm coming.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice. Nice batch of shooting irons too. Love me my M1A's.
That's weird with the blackout. I have a 300BO upper for my Colt 6920 and it loves the Remington 120 supers. Usually makes a ragged hole at 50yds. I've never had a ftf.

Glad you got to camp with your dad. That's the best kind of stuff. Someday, those will be your fondest memories.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Send those FTF Remington rounds back, I bet they make good!
Years ago when 10/22s were the IN thing I did one up with a laminated thumb hole, a .920 bull barrel and it would shoot penny size 10 shot groups at 75 yards. I bought all kinds of ammo to try, some was Olympic stuff by Federal. It shot like stuff! I contacted federal about it and they sent me a mixed lot brick! Those didn't shoot either! At that time (1995) those .22s were $4 a box(50 rounds). Turned out that barrel liked CCI Green Tag @ $3.00/100!

CCI shot shells are the only ones on the market that WILL function a semi!

Hope you feel well enough to take a deer with that 300 BLK this fall!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks for the information about the CCI shotshells. I wondered how they shot. I stopped by a gunshop in Ocala, Fl that had them in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. I wondered how they would work. I've only used them in revolvers.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote:Glad you got to camp with your dad. That's the best kind of stuff. Someday, those will be your fondest memories.
Yep
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Glad you were able to spend time with your dad at the family cabin. Also glad your doing better. I have an idea how your year is going. I got sick early yhis year and still am having breathing problems. May not be able to deer hunt like I want. But thankful I'm still here with family. I hope you make a complete recovery and have many more cabin trips.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Hondo. It sucks being sick and not being able to do what you want. For me it was a real kick in the backside. I had no idea how sick I was and just kept thinking I could just push through it. Dang was I wrong!
I was told it would be about a year or so after getting out of the hospital in February that I would be back to normal. Seems like I'm ahead of the curve but there are days that I have to sit back and rest a little. They are getting fewer and farther between though.

I hope you get better soon!!

Jason

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
OldWin wrote:Glad you got to camp with your dad. That's the best kind of stuff. Someday, those will be your fondest memories.
Yep
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What are your thoughts on the 300 Blackout?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Funny you should ask. Just took it over to my buddy's shop to sell for me. It's a cool little round but I lost interest in it after thinking about not really wanting to get into yet another new cartridge.
Overall, the accuracy was good, recoil was not any different than a 5.56 and was pretty quiet compared to most center fire rounds. Sounded like a .38 spl fired from my 92. It really belongs in a short barreled, suppressed AR than a bolt gun. There were a couple things I didn't care for with the rifle as well. The magazines are plastic and on the flimsy side ( to me anyway) and the action has a very small "window " that made it nearly impossible for me to shoot as a single shot which I do quite frequently and my hands aren't overly large. Overall I'm not seeing any advantage of this combination over the .30 cal rifles I already have and load for where I can load up or down depending on the situation.

My impression anyway. For a new shooter or a smaller person it may be just the ticket.

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I like mine. If it was as cheap to shoot as the 5.56, I'd shoot it more than 5.56 I think.
Matter of fact, I know it's shameful, but I decided to hunt with mine this year. Something really different. I'm using the Barnes 110gr. Tac-TX, which seems to be regarded as the best factory hunting round for this cartridge.
If I wind up shooting a deer, it will be a few firsts.
First with a semi auto.
First with an AR.
First deer I've ever shot with ammo I didn't load myself.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thanks my 300BO is 16" Handi-rifle that I was gonna shoot but think I'll wait til next spring when a I get back. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Awesome place, hope ya get many trips there and ya get feeling better.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.