reloading 348

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Maaax
Levergunner

reloading 348

Post by Maaax »

Hello. I am starting the hand loading process for my Model 71 and am wondering if any of you live in California and what you are doing for non lead bullets and loading data. Thank you. Gary
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: reloading 348

Post by flatnose »

Hi maaax,
I am shooting a browning 71 with the 24'' barrel. I have been working on an accurate load for this rifle on and off for a few years now, and so far this has proven to be the most difficult rifle I have had to find the accuracy I want.
I am looking for 1'' groups at 100 yds. I am using the hornady flat points 200gr bullets. I tried many different loads and powders, and so far 52.5grs of IMR4064 is the best load I have for a group of 1.25''.
A similar load of H4895 runs close to the above, but I need to get to the range for more conclusive results.
IMR4350 was awful as was 4320.
W760 powder did not turn in good results either.
I have some hornady 200gr FTX bullets but have not tried them yet.
As a side note, after you fire your cartridges a couple of times, i would anneal the case necks, as they are prone to splitting depending on when they were manufactured.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

348 in California is a tough road to travel as I'm sure you have found out.

North Fork does list a 348 CPS (cup point solid). I have no experience with this bullet. Just pointing it out. Best to contact them and talk to them about it.

http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento ... bweight=13
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Gary, give Cutting Edge a call. They've got a 348 bullet that they can make in copper and they're on the CA Fish & Game list. Https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/ ... egory=9348.

They might have a suggestion on load data for their bullet too.

Didn't know about North Fork, adding that one to my list.
Maaax
Levergunner

Post by Maaax »

Thank you for the help. Gary
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You could just do the smart thing, and move away from Kaliphornia...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Ooops, I missed the bit about non lead bullets. I can't help you there, as I have never shot any.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Buck Elliott wrote:You could just do the smart thing, and move away from Kaliphornia...
...and take me with you... :D
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

The only lead free I know of is the discontinued barnes X bullets in 200 &220g you might find them by looking on the web.

flatnose, 53g of IMR 4895 runs a 200g hornady @2450 in a 24" B71 and I've gotten <1" groups, the load comes from lyman #45 manual. danny
Maaax
Levergunner

Post by Maaax »

I tried to, but the kids and grandkids moved back here!
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

BigSky,
Yes, I took your suggested load from last year, and loaded up many test loads. The 52 and 52.5 loads show that there maybe something good in the making. I had to stop testing on my last range trip, as I ran out of time and also run out of shoulder, vision was becoming blurry as well. I shot 75 of the 348 loads and 75 near full power 300grn 45-70 loads with a crescent butt from the bench. Somewhat of a workout to say the least.
I have new tang, receiver and globe front sights on both rifles now, so I hope there will be an improvement and can do the tests justice.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Buck Elliott wrote:You could just do the smart thing, and move away from Kaliphornia...
That's what I did. Worked for City of LA for 25 years so I couldn't leave sooner. Too bad though CA had a lot going for it but politicians ruined the whole state...
Sorry Maaax, didn't mean to hijack yer thread. :oops:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Maaax
Levergunner

Post by Maaax »

No problem. California is a great state, except for the politicians. And we seem to have a lot of them! And Nobody will own up to voting for them ;?)