Two Cylinder John Deere Tractors of the Levergunners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Two Cylinder John Deere Tractors of the Levergunners

Post by KirkD »

Gentlemen (and ladies too), the subject of my old two-cylinder John Deere tractor came up on another thread. I began to wonder how many lever gunners have an old two-cylinder John Deere tractor that they enjoy (either of their own, or their Dad's, etc.). It sure would be enjoyable to see a few photos if you don't mind posting them in this thread.

I'll start with my own tractor and plow. The tractor is a 1957 John Deere 620 and the plow is a 555 H. The tractor has a rebuilt engine as of a year and a half ago, new wiring, and a new paint job. The plow, I rebuilt a year and a half ago as well, in a friend's shop.

Here is a short video of me out plowing (I make a brief appearance about half way through) ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSZH5P9SUQ

and here is a photo of my tractor and plow ...

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Two Cylinder John Deere Tractors of the Levergunners

Post by yooper2 »

Never owned one myself but growing up my grandad had an old Model B with optional lights that ran off of a magneto. Yours is a lot better looking than his ever was in my lifetime!

Eric
snkbittin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by snkbittin »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by snkbittin on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fords..Shelbys..John Deeres..Winchesters..Colt..S&W and O scale RR’er
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very tidy bit of plowing Kirk and your John Deere looks brand new, real nice job of renovation.
Do you have plowing matches over there? They are quite popular on my side of the pond.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice !
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

1984 JD 650 two cylinder diesel heading for horse pasture with 5 foot finish mower.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

KirkD

Post by KirkD »

gamekeeper wrote:Very tidy bit of plowing Kirk and your John Deere looks brand new, real nice job of renovation.
Do you have plowing matches over there? They are quite popular on my side of the pond.
We do have plowing matches here. This weekend, in fact, there is an 'International Plowing Match' happening about a half hour from here. I'm not sure why it is called an 'International' plowing match, since it is always held here in Ontario every year, but it is a huge deal.

Snkbitten: That is a beautiful unstyled Model B. If I could swing another classic John Deere, it would probably be a Model B.

CRS: I had no idea that there was a 2-cylinder Diesel that recent.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Like I said Kirk, watching that sod roll over is a pretty sight.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My 950 doesn't qualify, it has a 3 cyl!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Growing up, we had a 1941 B Model. For those unfamiliar, it was equipped with a hand clutch and the way you started it, it had a pitcock valve on each of the engine cylinders. You would open those valves and then spin the drum mounted on the side of the engine. Once it was running you closed the valves and that was when the engine developed the distinguished popping sound that gave it the name Popping Johnny.
Last edited by horsesoldier03 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I learned to drive on a B in upstate NY. In '63 or '64 I signed on with a farmer for the summer, room and board plus $75 and a heifer calf.
I think I was 14. The tractor had wheel brakes somewhere between poor and non-existent.
Lost it down a hill one day with an empty hay trailer. Only the clutch brake and trailer brakes stopped it.
That will definitely take all the stiffness out of your knees.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I would have thought the JD 620 diesel is a 3 cylinder.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

KirkD

Post by KirkD »

kaschi wrote:I would have thought the JD 620 diesel is a 3 cylinder.
Both the JD 620 gas and diesel options were two-cylinders, as were the 720's and the 820's. The last of the standard 2-cylinders were the 30-series (e.g., 630, 730 and 830. My 620 is a gas version.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

No pictures but I had a John Deere model H, a smaller than the B , with a two row mounted cultivator for row crops. Planted my garden in 40" rows, saved a lot of hoeing! Later got a B model, an early six speed that I upgraded with a later model hydrolic (Power Troll) unit on the rear of the differential housing. Worked great, was able to run remote hydrolic cylinders, on a plow and a bush hog. Should have never sold that tractor.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

KirkD,
Well, it has only two injectors and 16 HP. The 750 is a three cylinder with 20 HP. They were made in Japan by Yanmar. They were classified as Compact Utility Tractors.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I owned a 1931 GP for a couple weeks about thirty five years ago . And had JD 1 1/2 , 3 and 6 HP single cylinders but that was the extent of my old Deere stuff . I did however almost get my hands on a 1919 Frick 6 3/4x9 double cylinder steam traction engine .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: KirkD

Post by 6pt-sika »

KirkD wrote:
kaschi wrote:I would have thought the JD 620 diesel is a 3 cylinder.
Both the JD 620 gas and diesel options were two-cylinders, as were the 720's and the 820's. The last of the standard 2-cylinders were the 30-series (e.g., 630, 730 and 830. My 620 is a gas version.
I still wouldn't mind getting my hands on a restored "R" or "80" .
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

My granddaddy had a Model G, which I never saw, then a Model 70 diesel, complete with gasoline pony engine to start the diesel. Traded that one in on a Model 730 diesel, which had an electric starter. He grew cotton and wheat in northwest Texas. He also had a Massey-Ferguson 65 diesel, which I plowed with in the summer. I got to drive the John Deeres occasionally, but not that much, so it was quite a thrill when I did.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks Kirk. That 620 is the last evolution of the 2 cylinder John Deere and maybe the most beautiful. I still have a plow that I think is just like yours but I'm using an Allis Chalmers 170 to do most of my work with. I had a couple of Bs, one with a set of cultivators on it then an A that was just like new. Great tractor, electric start, the Bs weren't. The video was great. Sorta forgot how far you tilt over while plowing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,
That baby is cleeeeeaaaannnnn......and really purrs smooth. I am surprised that you actually use it for what it was intended for. The guys around here who have nice old ones keep them covered up in a barn and take them out for parades, etc.

There are actually quite a few of those old Deeres around here and I see the Amish (the ones who got past the horses and plow) using them with the old steel drive wheels. Those people know how to keep anything old up and running.

Snkbitten's 1938 is a real beauty.

About 30 years ago I was a few miles down the road (tagging along with my wife) to visit this old timer who has a farm and while my wife was doing business, I was looking around....this farm was in the family for like a million years and every tractor they ever used was still there...along with every car and truck they ever had. One Model T Ford had a tree growing through the middle of it. Must have been 50 vehicles of all types, most in deplorable condition. This neat old farm is now houses for the Yuppies.

Anyway, when it comes to vehicles that have to be used, I like modern. Here's my Kubota 3350----6

Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Kirk, that engine has a really lovely exhaust note.
I have only had a couple of tractors: A Mitsubishi-built Mahendra three-cylinder diesel and this old tiller-steered Gibson with a 9-horse Wisconsin for power:

veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

My 47 G that I helped restore some 20 odd years ago, Dad gave it to me last year.
Got this old 51 B for my birthday this month to restore, looks pretty decent on the outside, but inside is not too pretty. But, I will win!
This is my Dad on his 57 720 that he bought brand new when he got out of the Army in 57, along with a few other implements. Sent most of his pay home to Gramma to save and when he got out he had enough to start farming on his own. He traded this on off once on a JD 4000, 2 weeks later he bought it back. Few years ago he sold it again, got to buy it back again, says he keeps it now till he dies. I spent many an hour cultivating on that old girl. Happy to still have them both.
Dad's had alot of other ol 2 bangers, but this one was THE one.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Six, what year is your YJ? My Grousebuster is a 89. Four banger five speed. Runs like a sewing machine, and about the same horsepower.Image

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
snkbittin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by snkbittin »

Thanks Guys..great Thread Kirk!..some sweet rides
Fords..Shelbys..John Deeres..Winchesters..Colt..S&W and O scale RR’er
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

KirkD

Post by KirkD »

A farmer a couple miles down the road called today. He has 22 acres for me to plow towards the end of the week. Looking forward to hearing my 620 working again!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Les Staley wrote:Six, what year is your YJ? My Grousebuster is a 89. Four banger five speed. mg]
Not to take from Kirks post but my YJ is also an '89, straight 6 and 5 speed...it's an Islander. It's now in the barn....all cleaned up and under cover. Runs great......gonna put in a stroker 6 ..240 hp and a frame up resto next year. I also have a 05 Rubicon and a '11 4 door sissy Jeep for the wife.---6
Model A Uzi’s
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I have a 720 too:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cnjarvis wrote:I have a 720 too:
:lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BTW Kirk... in watchin' your video, I noticed how straight your rows were... very good! My dad always criticized a fellow on how crooked his rows might be... but then he learned behind a team of mules... where straight meant how well you handled the team.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I too like the old tractors. Caterpillars (especially the small ones)& that goes for the small tractors too... My Father in law had one of theseImage Not trying to hijack , the thing is just so darned cute I couldnt resist.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Hey, Ben...where's the ROP and the back up warning beeper,and the strobe light on top and the seat belt full containment harness and the..... O, wait...these nice little tractors were built back when people didn't use drugs at work and used their brains for something more than hair fertilizer. Nice tractor! Would make a great mower for a large lawn and do it in STYLE!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

KirkD

Post by KirkD »

Griff wrote:BTW Kirk... in watchin' your video, I noticed how straight your rows were... very good! My dad always criticized a fellow on how crooked his rows might be... but then he learned behind a team of mules... where straight meant how well you handled the team.
Thanks, Griff. Keeping the furrows straight is harder than one might expect. It isn't simply a matter of going in a straight line. There are also patches of soil in the field that may be harder or dryer than other patches. The hard, clay patches will tend to shift the plow over an inch or two, depending upon how much the clay has turned to concrete. This will get worse with every round until one is past that hard patch, and requires fighting to carve just slightly more off in those areas. We have a lot of heavy clay around here. My favourite fields would be a sandy loam.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD wrote:
Griff wrote:BTW Kirk... in watchin' your video, I noticed how straight your rows were... very good! My dad always criticized a fellow on how crooked his rows might be... but then he learned behind a team of mules... where straight meant how well you handled the team.
Thanks, Griff. Keeping the furrows straight is harder than one might expect. It isn't simply a matter of going in a straight line. There are also patches of soil in the field that may be harder or dryer than other patches. The hard, clay patches will tend to shift the plow over an inch or two, depending upon how much the clay has turned to concrete. This will get worse with every round until one is past that hard patch, and requires fighting to carve just slightly more off in those areas. We have a lot of heavy clay around here. My favourite fields would be a sandy loam.
Every time I plow I feel my dad looking over my shoulder... you're right it is hard... down here, we have a black mud, ok to work when it's damp, hard as clay when dry, and like molasses when saturated.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

We call them Popping John's around here, my Grandad had one. Beautiful tractor, great job on the restoration. Last year I upgraded from 67 year old 9N Ford tractor to a "new" tractor that is only 29 years old! Power steering and brakes for the first time ever!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clampdaddy
Levergunner

Post by clampdaddy »

My '48 model A

Image My next project. 1950 G
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

KirkD

Post by KirkD »

Just finished up a 21 acre field today.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I like Big Green plenty well enough !

But I kinda like these others a bit more !

I had a friend that had Hart Parr's in 12-24 , 18-36 and 28-50 but he's been gone a few years now and they were sold after he left us .

The 30 , 15-30 , 16-30 and 22-40 were made a wee bit earliuer . Also the 22-40 and 28-50 aren't 2 cylinders but actually two of the two cylinder motors side by side . All these tractors had horizontal cylinders like the early JD's !

I think at some point I need to find myself a nice RESTORED 12-24 or 18-36 Hart Parr and a 46-48 Jeep CJ-2A .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I was born in 1961 my maternal grandfather had a 1948 CJ-2A that was his everyday vehicle .
I'd kinda at some point like to get a restored CJ-2A !

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

KirkD wrote:Just finished up a 21 acre field today.
Kirk, that's a fine looking tractor! :mrgreen: What will be grown in that field?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

KirkD

Post by KirkD »

claybob86 wrote:
Kirk, that's a fine looking tractor! :mrgreen: What will be grown in that field?
I don't know, claybob86. It had corn this year. Winter Wheat, Soybeans and Corn are the three most common crops around here.

6pt-sika: those are great photos. I had no idea such a tractor company even existed. Thanks for posting those.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great picture of a nice tractor Kirk, gotta love those JD`s. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool tractors all and love the JD plane 8)

Might as well post my JD 60, just as easy to post a vid than find a picture on PB.

Pulling a tree out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpu6qc8ljxI

Tractor overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3Pp1Lnu6o

How do I get a video to post as a video instead of a link, seems like I used to do that.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.