To clean, or not to clean...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

To clean, or not to clean...

Post by Camel73 »

Hello all,
I've been running subsonic rb's through my peep sighted '94 30-30 and was going to treat it like a .22. Basically not clean it till it started going haywire..
Thoughts on this?
My first child - '94 30-30
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: To clean, or not to clean...

Post by M. M. Wright »

What are you lubing the balls with? The pure lead balls NEED grease or wax of some kind on them. 22 bullets are wax coated or copper plated. I would just run a patch wetted with Hoppe's no. 9 through it just to be sure.

I loaned a 94 SRC in 25-35 to my BIL once, years ago and he shot it quite a lot but then hung it behind the stove without cleaning. A couple of months of that ruined the once shiny bore. I've cleaned it to where it groups acceptably with jacketed bullets but the bore is dark.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

I'm using beeswax. On this batch I've seated the ball flush with the case mouth. I wipe it out where there is about a 1/16" of wax around where the ball and case meet.

On the first and next batch I can't do that though... Gotta seat proud - .310 vs .312's so I just rub the beeswax on the ball. Hopefully it's still lubing.
My first child - '94 30-30
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Camel73 wrote:Hello all,
going to treat it like a .22. Basically not clean it till it started going haywire..
Thoughts on this?
Yeah, that's what I'd do. I haven't used round balls, but if I did I'd try lubing them with liquid Alox (Lee makes the one you might find at the local gun store). Roll them around in a tub with some of the Alox until they get coated, pour out onto a piece of wax paper and let dry. Load and go. Handier and a little less messy than the beeswax I'd think. But if it works, it's right.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I run a oily (of some sort) thru the bore when I get home from hunting, and make sure it's real dried off, but scrubbing it out every single time is over rated.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:I run a oily (of some sort) thru the bore when I get home from hunting, and make sure it's real dried off, but scrubbing it out every single time is over rated.
my Guide Gun hasn't had a serious cleaning in years ------- my .300 Weatherby however, gets scrubbed for copper deposits after every range trip -- its all about the velocity and what it shags off in the bore
----- Doug
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd clean it. Just like I do my .22s. I listened to those who said you don't have to clean .22s one summer and ended up with pits in my rifle barrel. Never again. I shoot it, I clean it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I clean mine. Lee liquid alox (LLA) or a mixture of Beeswax and Johnsons past wax works well as a tumble lube for round balls. Either one with a little mineral spirits mixed in to make it more liquid will dry overnight and dries nicely.
I have used .32 caliber round balls pushed through a .309 Lee sizing die to size bullets for the 30-30 .
That method leaves little flats on the sides of the ball to better grip the rifling and shot great for me.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'd clean it if the grooves were leaded to the lands and it was a smooth bore

I'd clean it if it couldn't shoot straight

In a good barrel lead smears move around, some exit with the next shot, some deposited with the next shot, it balances out. I have a guide gun that has only shot lead bullets and I've never done a thing to the bore and it still shoots straight. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Same story with my 40 some year old Marlin 22 levergun.

Same same with my old ruger semi auto 22.

I oil the bores periodically to protect the metal.

IMO copper fouling is worse than lead fouling and requires harsher measures to deal with it.

so far, after many years, my guns are none the worse for wear.

just sayin',
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have loads using lead balls, "range scrap" alloy, for my .44 Magnums. I roll the balls around in 45-45-10 , then load them. I was surprised at first when I got 2" groups at about 20 yards from my Super Blackhawk. No leading, just a very light lube deposit on the frame and a clean barrel.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Some that shoot jacketed and cast report that neither shoot their best unless all traces of jacket or lead fouling is removed before shooting the other type. Still may be acceptable accuracy in any event. Some experimenting may give clues as to what your gun likes best for cleaning regimen. Some guns seem to shoot a bit better with a few rounds down them after cleaning also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I clean mine. Lee liquid alox (LLA) or a mixture of Beeswax and Johnsons past wax works well as a tumble lube for round balls. Either one with a little mineral spirits mixed in to make it more liquid will dry overnight and dries nicely.
I have used .32 caliber round balls pushed through a .309 Lee sizing die to size bullets for the 30-30 .
That method leaves little flats on the sides of the ball to better grip the rifling and shot great for me.

+1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness!" And... it eliminates that as a potential issue in future problems.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Camel73 wrote:Hello all,
I've been running subsonic rb's through my peep sighted '94 30-30 and was going to treat it like a .22. Basically not clean it till it started going haywire..
Thoughts on this?
Recently having fired approx. 100 r.b. in my .30-30 in doing some testing, I decided to run some patches through. There was nothing in there other than a small amount of powder fouling, so I would say, "keep on shooting".....

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Chamber. Bolt face. See light in the bore. Just so it's always ready, for sure.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Lead balls wont hold much lube, and being dead soft they can lead the bore easier. I'd keep an eye on accuracy, and inspect the bore if it begins to open up group sizes. I've used Lee liquid Alox for plinking with round balls also, but I sit the ball wetted with alox on the case neck before it dries. Once dried the ball stays put, and can be handled and not dump powder.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/