OT- How do you figure out which ones to sell?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hanz
Levergunner

OT- How do you figure out which ones to sell?

Post by Hanz »

Push has come to shove and I'm going to have to sell a few guns to keep above water. I've been doing some serious soul searching while trying to figure out which ones to sell off.

If I sell a couple of the ones that are worth a bit more I'll only miss two. BUT, I really like those two. If I sell a few of the lesser value ones I'll be missing a lot more than two. I can't decide which will hurt less. :?

If anyone of you have BTDT I'd appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

Doug
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I hate the thought of selling any of my guns, but I've got a fair idea which ones might go if I had to.

Heirlooms and guns that can't be replaced or bought back stay.

Guns that are nice to have but that I don't use, go.

I'd probably cash in military surplus and EBR's, and all but my most dependable sidearm.

Man, I could pay off the house... :shock:
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

Man, I'd get a part time gig before doing that :(
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sold a Dakota 270 to come up with $2500 on short notice to buy my wife a car she wanted from a family member at a very good price. Never regretted it.
Last edited by Old Savage on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Ah that's easy,...sell only the ones I want to buy.! :shock:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I would definitely have to keep the ones that have come down to me from family of course, and any that couldn't be replaced later on when my money situation got better. Your money situation will get better, than you can buy others to replace ones you need to sell now. The great thing is, you have things to sell to get you through the tough times, always tough decisions but you are lucky you have put yourself in the position to have a decision to make. If you didn't have guns to sell you would really have a problem! JMHO.
Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Let me know what you decide to part with. I can come get it/them. You will know that they are nearby and if you ever want them back I would be happy to return them. Only you can decide which ones to keep - but first on the list of keepers should be anything with sentimental value.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- How do you figure out which ones to sell?

Post by cubrock »

I've had to do this at various times in my life. I've had to sell some guns I really regretted. Other times, I've never regretted it. Mostly the latter.

I'd keep guns with sentimental value first. Second, those that are hard to replace. First to go are those that are easier to replace.

I'm sorry you are in this situation, but you can at least be thankful you have something of value to fall back on.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Once upon a time I had to do that. I sold what would sell and tried to sell as few as possible and not to create any "holes" in the accumulation. Didn't do too badly and kept what I thought was the best of the lot (mostly) at the time.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If you have an "emotional" attachment then don't sell it. Some people think I sell 'em as fast as I buy 'em, :lol: I really enjoy playing with nice pieces of history and then passing them on. Pre-microgroove 39A's are probably the only firearms that I seem to buy, to keep.

Just an fyi,
I may be parting with a Win 1885 and pre-war Win 63 very soon. :wink: My restoration projects are costing more than I budgeted. :shock:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doug,

I can't tell you what to do, but here is my story and how I've come to look at selling guns:

10 years ago I was forced ( or so I thought ) to sell many of my guns to pay bills.
It was agonizing because I just don't have much disposable income to buy guns. To me they are hard to come by.

Now 10 years later, I've not yet replaced all of those sold.
I still haven't replaced my shotgun,
I still haven't replaced my wifes Marlin 1894 CS,
I still haven't replaced my Springfield 1911a1 Mil Spec,
I still haven't replaced my S&W K38 Masterpiece
I still ........... well you get the idea.

Of those guns I've sold to pay bills, all I've been able to replace is my 94 Winchester carbine 30-30 with a loan from my brother, and my 30-06 via a birthday present.

The bills can go to hell. If I sell my guns today to pay for this months bills, what will I sell next month to pay for next months bills?

I don't sell them anymore.

Joe
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

keep the nice ones. They are the hardest to replace when you get back on you feet.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

I'd sell the ones I haven't used or have good stories or memories attached to them. I'd keep the ones that are really nice or have good memories attached to them or that get used a lot.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I only ever sold off one that I regret to this day for selling.
Back in 1981 I bought a new Marlin 1894C in .357 mag.
at the local K-Mart for if I remember right $149.00.
Man that little thing was a sweet shooter.
What was I thinkin :cry: (not thinking)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Been there, done that a couple times. Both times while building houses. Last time I sold off some really good stuff because of the higher $ value. Really wish I hadn't. I have several guns that have been passed down to me. In a moment of sheer stupidity I sold a Win. 92 SRC button mag in 25-20 for a big buck. The bore was shot out but it was still in pretty good shape. Got a bunch of $$ for it but i know I'll never be able to replace it.

Start w/ the cheap/ easily replaceable stuff! And good luck!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Easiest to replace first. "KEEP THE BEST SELL THE REST" when the need is important.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I have not had to do that.....yet. I may some day though.

Trouble is, all I got is junk. :shock:

I could cash-in my entire arsenal(all five guns) and only clear $500-550.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

For me it's easy, I have a few hand me downs that always stay till it's time I pass them on. Then theirs my "always" gun. That stays or if something else takes it's place it gets put in reserve. The rest, well if it gets too cluttered I get ansy and have to cull. I don't own anything but shooters to begin with.

The problem I have is finding something I love.
I'm a hard guy to fit. Somethings fit, most dont.

Once I find it then it stays forever. Very few guns make that list. I guess I'm just picky.

Last year I put a Browning Micro Medallion in 7mm08 on consignment. Never realized how well I shot that rifle till I started shooting a new 270. I got the browning back. A 6in Python is on the list, and a Glock 20. The new 22-4 45acp is heading towards the list but it's too new yet.
Last edited by paulyseggs on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I have only what I need to hunt birds, deer, and small game. Plus I have a mulit-purpose Ruger BH now that will kill coyotes, bobcats, deer and would-be home invaders.

The thought never comes up to sell any of them.
But then, I'm not much of a collector; I'm a purist like the old man.

I say, FWIW, keep those dearest to you, that you actually USE, and sell whatever you dont need. If you have guns for deer, keep your fav lever, your fav scoped bolt, and a trusty muzzleloader. Keep your shotgun, because Heaven knows you can always use it to eat, and keep a dependable pistol around. -You never know. Keep one .22.
Keep your bow.

It's is a blessing to have something of value to sell if you can't make ends meet.
Somewhere, somebody is in need of a means to get meat for the freezer, so pass the value along.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Sorry to hear of your troubles, hope you get out of the bind w/o selling off a bunch.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I sold my Casull kit. Never again.

Yes, it gave me $1500 to help me pay for my move (to a job I hate).

But it was also my most beloved gun. (the rest I had wouldn't have made $800 together)

I regret it bitterly.

The ONLY reason I will sell another gun is if/when my AR & Glock become outrageously inflated because some nutbag Anti passes another "evil black gun" ban.

Then I'll take my profit(s) and buy more leverguns & ammo.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hanz -

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You received good advice here - if ever in the same position, I'd sell those without a family history and easiest to replace first, even if it meant more of them than fewer more valuable ones... :cry:
Hanz
Levergunner

Post by Hanz »

I'd like to thank everyone for the encouragement, good wishes and wisdom. I'm OK, I'm working again and I expect this to be just a small bump in the road of life.

I'm moving to a less expensive rental to try and stretch my new salary at my new job. I'd get a part time job (even two) in a heartbeat if I didn't have my dog. I just can't leave him alone for more than ten hours a day.

86er, Please don't get me wrong. I appreciate your most generous offer but whatever I sell is sold, period. I don't expect anyone to go into the pawn business for me. I'm not expecting a huge backslide but right now I have to do what I have to do.

I’ll figure out what I’m selling and I’ll create a new post when I do and I’ll be sure to post photos. It will probably be tomorrow. I’m just going to have to sleep on this one more time. Oh, I don't think I'll be selling too many levers :wink:

Thanks guys,

Doug
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I guess I have been lucky, I have bought and sold a lot of guns over the years, but I almost always sold a gun to come up with money to purchase another gun that I wanted worse at the time. However, I did sell a Colt AR-15 Heavy barrel, for $400.00 back in 1986 to purchase a wrecked CJ 5 Jeep that I fixed up for hunting. I sorta regret that one, because it wasn't a year after that or so that the value of those AR's went through the roof. But in the end, I guess I came out all right, I only gave $1100 for the jeep, drove it for almost 15 yrs and sold it for 15 hundred in a trade for a K-5 Blazer. The bad thing is I miss that old jeep a heck of a lot more then I ever missed that AR-15. I have never replaced the AR because I frankly just never wanted one back again badly enough.

But really, I own many more guns then I need and I probably had just as much fun shooting, and hunting when I only had a few guns. You really only need a good .22, a good centerfire deer rifle of sutiable caliber, a good handgun or two, and a Shotgun. Anything else is just man's vanity.

But man! am I vain. :wink:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

If you really like them...and they have sentimental value...
Dont do it!
I have been in the same situation and decided...
to get second job....or work overtime...anything to
make a few extra bucks...
I did sell a double barrel french shotgun a while back..
to pay for the new breaks on my truck...front and back
and had a bunch of money left over to buy another lever gun...
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

SELL???

Post by HEAD0001 »

I only have two guns I would never part with. They belonged to my dad. Other than that guns are just tools. We use tools to get through life. We are fortunate enough to live in a country where we can acquire more tools(TOYS) than we really need to get by.

My favorite thing to do is to hunt-I shoot to hunt. So the gun's I would keep are my favorite hunting gun's that I use. Everything else is just a tool to get you through life. I have sold hundred's of gun's on my journey through life. Some sales were necessary to get through life, many were not.

I would not look at your dilemma as a problem. A lot of people do not have a tool(as you do) to help them get through. Look at it as an adventure. Start thinking about what you are going to buy when you get through this period. I will bet it is not what you are selling. Tom.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Are you married?

Can you throw the old ball-and-chain out first?

I'd hate to think that you haven't explored other options.

:wink: