Largest usable outdoor knife?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Largest usable outdoor knife?

Post by Old Savage »

And for this topic lets forget about chopping wood.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Largest usable outdoor knife?

Post by Rusty »

I like a 3.5 to 4" blade. Anything larger and I go to a machete.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My most used knives have 4" blades but a 5" blade can also be fine. I suppose larger blades can be useful if you need to build a shelter or bump into Sasquatch in the woods.

From an old post:
[quote="gamekeeper"]The weekend I decided to swop some large knives I no longer use for something more handy. I looked at several but this one seemed to fit my hand and I like Scandinavian knives so I choose this Helle triple laminated stainless blade with Curly Birch and Reindeer Antler handle. Sorry for poor photo, please see video below.

Interesting short video on how they are made.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... XfcFdW7Sj-
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I've used many different knives to dress and bone deer, from 2 1/2 " folders to 5+" fixed blades, some custom made.
I've long decided a 3 1/2" to 4" fixed thin blade knife is the best of all worlds.
I recently discovered Mora carbon steel knives, they are about 3 1/2"+, have a thin blade, and are very sharp and easy to resharpen, they're also under $15,
I skin, debone, go through joints with these knives, they do the job, and they don't need babying, plus if you lose it, it was like 12 bucks. If your going to make shelters, bring an ax or machete, but use a knife for knife stuff.
YMMV :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Standard sized Leatherman. It goes into my pocket before my money.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like a good-sized Camp Knife with a 6"-6-1/2" blade for most camping chores short of chopping wood.

I have several hand-made knives with 3-1/2"-4" fixed blades that I rotate between when used deer hunting.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gamekeeper, I am a fan of the puuko-style knives as well. I have a Lapp puuko by Iisakki Järvenpää that I got from Ragweed Forge. It is one tough knife.

https://www.ragweedforge.com/FinnishKnifeCatalog.html
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Gamekeeper, I am a fan of the puuko-style knives as well. I have a Lapp puuko by Iisakki Järvenpää that I got from Ragweed Forge. It is one tough knife.

https://www.ragweedforge.com/FinnishKnifeCatalog.html
Bill, I have a couple of knives in the puukko-style, they have served me well and are always razor sharp.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One does not need much knife to dress out a deer IF you have something that will get thru the pelvis. (I snapped a Buck fixed blade by jamming it into the pelvis, and twisting/bending).
I've been taking out an Old Timer 5" fixed that has the green rubber handle. It's easy to hold on to, and has a gut hook that I like. I usually have a very small saw for stuff, too.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Real nice. Too nice for me - I'd be afraid to use them!

The 5" blade on my Randall lookalike (that I want to put my own handle on - too small!) has been ok. Any longer than that would be cumbersome to me for general camp stuff.

My first child - '94 30-30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Generally no more than 5". Though I admit I keep a larger fixed blades in my Jeep, but it rarely gets taken out. I find that a smaller folder is used more often than the fixed blade. I have a Buck Titanium hunter that I've become very fond of.

I've been starting to use this one lately. This is new.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:One does not need much knife to dress out a deer IF you have something that will get thru the pelvis. (I snapped a Buck fixed blade by jamming it into the pelvis, and twisting/bending).
I've been taking out an Old Timer 5" fixed that has the green rubber handle. It's easy to hold on to, and has a gut hook that I like. I usually have a very small saw for stuff, too.....
Last deer I butchered, I used a cheap Ryobi cordless reciprocating saw for that task (pelvis)
Pete44ru wrote:.

I like a good-sized Camp Knife with a 6"-6-1/2" blade for most camping chores short of chopping wood.

I have several hand-made knives with 3-1/2"-4" fixed blades that I rotate between when used deer hunting.

I use a bigger knife like that quite a bit around the campsite (usually an old K-BAr, or my old leather handle issue survival knife ) --- but just like yourself , no bigger than 3-4" for hunting in general
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote:
One does not need much knife to dress out a deer IF you have something that will get thru the pelvis. (I snapped a Buck fixed blade by jamming it into the pelvis, and twisting/bending).

I've had great luck with splitting the pelvis bone of deer via holding the blade parallel to the spine & tight to the bone, then giving the back/spine of the blade a solid thump or two with the side of my fist - actually pounding the blade through the bone.

The only blade I damaged using that method was also a Buck, with a Pakkawood handle that split in my hand from the force of my fist thump.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, I know that when my bowie knives get over 12" long, they get a bit unwieldy... :wink:
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

SINCE you asked for the " largest " usable out door knife I will nominate my CS Trailmasters which are amazing blades. For a hunting knife though I prefer a 5" blade to all others 'cause I can !

And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't care for anything over 5" blade in a field knife that I will be field dressing game with. I really prefer a 3.5"-4" blade above all others, as it's easier to use when reaching up into the chest cavity of deer or elk. A longer blade is a hindrance for this work to me.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

trail hawk by cold steel. for pelvis . looks like $25 if you shop.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The little saw blade on a LEATHERMAN works really well to saw thru the chest and pelvic bone. I like the BUCK GENERAL with it's 7"blade to reach down and carve out the intestines and organs, close to the body cavity.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I normally have at least 3 knives for camping... which includes my 6-½" Blackjack (Randall knockoff), a 3-½" Browning drop point for skinning & my 3" Kershaw pocketknife. An axe is for wood and the pelvis...

But, for cooking, I like some other, larger knives, depending on what's for supper! And that includes when camping.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Did someone mention the CS (Cold Steel) Trailmaster ? :mrgreen:

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Puma white hunter

LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

http://www.grohmannknives.com/images/agrohmannr3sa.jpg

This Canadian Jump Knife with its short blade. When hunting from a backpack I carried an extra Buck Full Size Sheath knike. I got tired of lugging it around and settled for an Estwing Leather Handle Hatchet. I was brought up to never go into the bush without an ax.

My pocket knife has been a locking Swiss Army Alpiner. I carried a Gerber nasty looking tactical styled folder gifted to me for my 60th from a dear friend. It was just too tough looking, much tougher than me. It lives in my Jeep console and I am happy it is there when I venture on bush roads and some neighbourhoods.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think that is the Canadian Air Force knife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That knife is the classic Russell pattern.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the short end, these two Case knives appear to be different interpretations of the same knife. The lower black one is about what I have used to gut deer/antelope and skin them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

I have been using a Buck Vanguard more than anything. The blade is 4 3/4".
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pete44ru wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

I've had great luck with splitting the pelvis bone of deer via holding the blade parallel to the spine & tight to the bone, then giving the back/spine of the blade a solid thump or two with the side of my fist - actually pounding the blade through the bone.

The only blade I damaged using that method was also a Buck, with a Pakkawood handle that split in my hand from the force of my fist thump.

killed a lot of deer without splitting the pelvis. bone the straps and loins, disconnect the legbones from the pelvis socket. bone out the neck roast. disconnect the shoulders. you can pretty much harvest most of the meat by skinning before slitting the carcass. once the neck, straps, and legs are removed open the carcass for the organs and back straps. leave the pile for the bears and sneak outa her zone.

it wasn't until I started using the 12" blade in the recip saw that I split pelvises, and that mostly because they were frozen.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am in Poland at the moment. The stalker carries a blaze orange handled stainless Mora knife. He cleaned the Red Stag with it and that was all he needed. I have a couple of Mora knives and they work well. I saw a video of how to use a little kitchen knife to split a log. The trick is to whittle a small round spike of wood and baton the wooden spike into the log. If you need more than one, just whittle it. A Mora can do that with ease. Why beat on your knife when you don't need to?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Old Savage wrote:I think that is the Canadian Air Force knife.
They call it the Jump Knife and catalogue it as the Canadian Army Knife now. It is a Grohman #3 and the bade has D H Russell stamped on it as well. I got the stainless blade rather than the high carbon. My ancient Schrade Sharpfinger in hc rusted due to my carelessness. It sure held a sharp edge but it converted me to stainless knives.
Michaux
Levergunner

Post by Michaux »

My favorite is this one: Bark River Fox River w/G10 scales

Michauxx
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

You guys splitting pelvis' and sternums are working too hard, lol
I don't even gut them anymore, hang , skin, and debone, or do em on the ground, you can get it done with the knife that comes with your nail cutter. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is the largest I have, Top is 10", bottom is what they use on the fishing boats out hete to fillet fish, often bigger.
I use the top one for splitting chickens for the grill.

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

gcs wrote:You guys splitting pelvis' and sternums are working too hard, lol
I don't even gut them anymore, hang , skin, and debone, or do em on the ground, you can get it done with the knife that comes with your nail cutter. :D
An ax or hatchet comes in handy with a moose or elk. A nail cutter won't cut it in my opinion :D .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Favorites on the short end, Dozier and Bear MGC.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

My American made Cutco knife is my best and sharpest hunting knife
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

OS, what part of Arkansaw did that Dozier knife come from???
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

West of Batesville.

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

For almost everything I need a knife for, a 3.5" to 4.5" drop point has proven to be ideal. Anything more than 5" is unwieldy to me for more delicate tasks.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't split pelvises either. Cut around the stuff going through it and pull it through. Same for sternum, work around it and bone it out. I reach inside to cut the windpipe and stuff up front free. Will have half a deer skeleton hanging after removing the legs at the joints and boning the meat off the carcass.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The 8 of us in my annual Maine deer-hunting party, have the luxury (usually) of allowing deer to hang for several days (field-dressed & skin "on") to age the meat, and transport the deer to our homes - so, we do no de-boning/etc until the deer arrive @ home for full butchering/processing.

The smaller knives are the handiest for field-dressing; the larger knives better for converting/processing deer to meat.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Had this one for 52 years! Still think it is kewl and love carrying it around when in the woods. IMHO best looking Bowie! Has been used on deer, chopping wood and just about for everything :D . Splits the pelvic like a hatchet. 8 inch blade. Anton Wingen Jr. , Solingen Germany
Can shave with it, keeps an edge well and is somewhat easy to sharpen.

I do keep a smaller knife with me.

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Bro ... .jpg[/img][/url]

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

If your going to drag them, do like Malamute, don't split anything, otherwise the carcass just collects more leaves and stuff.
I age the meat too, large chunks in game bags, in a cooler, with ice on the bottom if needed. Works just as well and you don't have to wrestle with a dried on, or half frozen hide.
Plus you don't have a pile of deer showing in the back of the truck. Unless you like that kind of stuff. :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hete is a Sheffield version.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

gcs wrote:If your going to drag them, do like Malamute, don't split anything, otherwise the carcass just collects more leaves and stuff.
This.

Once hung, or laying around waiting to get hung, I prop the carcass open with a stick or whatever to help it cool.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon west of Batesville is good enough. I know a Master bladesmith but not a Dosier,
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Dozier, D2 heat treated to where it is nearly stainless.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Got to looking at that Canadian military knife that Old Savage posted. Always thought that was such an ergonomic design. Found out the R. Murphy made this for George L. Herter back in the day (I lived for the Herter's Catalog as a teenager in the 1960s) and found the current version, new, on eBay for about $33 delivered. Alas, by dribs, drabs and mouse clicks I steadily grow poorer ...

:lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think A.G. Russell noted it as such in their catalog. I find it the most ergomonic of their handles.

mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

"I think that is the Canadian Air Force knife"

Nice knife,I have used the Cold Steel version.

My two favorite knives for dressing out game are:

a. Tri-Steel, laminated Frost, European manufacture, that I have used on and off for fifty years

b. A Green River, "Sheep Skinner", carbon steel, an absolute bargain at any price

Cheers Mark
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mark, a fellow who used to manage bison ranches for Ted Turner said the most useful knife for dealing with those big shaggies was a Green River "legging knife."