Cast Iron Cooking Lore

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Cast Iron Cooking Lore

Post by Blaine »

I'll bet most of this "Basket of Deplorables" ( :lol: ) use cast iron skillets.
I use nothing else.
I've been refining the technique on my own for over thirty years. When I break the rules, it gets ugly. When I do it right there is no other cooking method that can compare.

For steaks, and chops/burgers/chicken I start by getting the oil/butter smoking hot, nearly blacken it on the one side, turn down to Med Hi, and finish the other side. Mine usually turn out very red, but warm in the middle. (well, not the chicken, which is cooked a lot lower....follow the rules about turning)

Eggs use the same smoking oil start, but then I turn the pan down to med, and finish them up sunny side.
Potatoes = smoking oil, then down to medium.

Hmmm, a recurring theme, here.....Start smoking hot, then turn down.

And, of course, never turn the product too soon...that's when it gets ugly. :lol:

I clean with a plastic scrubber, no soap under hot tap water. Dry off, put on the stove, warm up and rub in a couple drops of olive oil with a paper towel. A more aggressive clean is salt, and oil. Next level is a stainless Chore Boy rough scrubber. If it rusts, I fill it half way with white vinegar, boil it for a couple minutes, leave it sit overnight, then use the Chore Boy to shine it up, wipe it out with oil (on a low stove setting) until the black residue goes away, and start all over. I've learned not to need a curing process, I just start using it with a little extra oil, and no liquids until it gets that nice black finish again.

Of course, you know it does a superior job of biscuits, cornbread, and any oven frying you need done.

My favorite rub is Johnny's Salt, brown sesame oil, black pepper, turmeric, garlic powder. IMO, BBQ sauce is for after it's cooked.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cast Iron Cooking Lore

Post by mikld »

Hmmm. My wife told me I started off smokin' hot, then down to medium. I hope I don't hit "low"... :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

What time did you say, "dinner is on".

I also like a pressed steel frypan.

Cheers Mark
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mark wrote:What time did you say, "dinner is on".

Cheers Mark
Educate me..... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
Cheers Mark
Educate me..... 8)
Not cast iron.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Last edited by Griff on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oops, meant to start my own thread.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Oops, meant to start my own thread.
Eventually, I figgered you'd get around to cast iron.... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I agree Blaine, cast is the way to go. I'm new to cooking, having been married most of my life to good or excellent cooks and on my own now.

The best cookware, for sure. I've been getting a few of the old Griswold pieces from Ebay lately. There sure is a difference between old and new!

I kept expecting Griff to get around to cast iron too! :) Well them Navies of his are pretty close.

Cat
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, I'm a big fan, too. I have my grandmother's trusty Griswold, a couple of Lodge Dutch ovens, a Wagner "fat free fryer" and two more that I dote on. I have actually considered building an electrolysis unit to clean my guys and any additional pieces that I should add to the arsenal. Treat 'em right and they treat you like a king.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Most times I cook for myself, except when the grand daughters and their parents are here.

Most of the time I cook outside on a single burner butane stove. Else, for bulk guests a Weber, either charcoal or maybe gas.

Invariably cast iron. For stews an enameled "camp oven", otherwise a griddle plate or if I want "flame", one with slots. Aluminium, for the most part, is a bit of a luck dip.

Now for the pressed steel frying pan. If I want "quick" and "slightly singed", i.e. Saturday's breakfast of bacon, tomato, thin steaks or lamb chops, snags(sorry breakfast sausages), baked beans, I tend to use it. I like the flavour it gives.

All the best, Mark
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

It would seem the trick is to use cast iron every day. Whereas I use it mostly when cooking out doors or for searing/browning meats before putting in the slow cooker.

After cleaning and drying, I store my pans in the oven, and might not use for some months. Sometimes an off odor developes if I leave oil on the surface.

One last thing that isn'the an issue yet, but the last 5 years of blood tests indicate that I'm retaining iron. This could mean my liver is not cleaning out excess iron down the drain. There are no other problem indicators, but it's something I keep a watch on.

Anyway, I do like to cook and store food in the same pan, and I like my Nuwave precision induction cook top a lot.
- Brian
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

A tip for you guys with grungy cast iron, if you have an oven with self-cleaning setting, stick your cast iron in and hit self-clean. When done a lite scrub and re-season. HTH
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've got my favorite cast iron frying pan, 12" (?), but it's in my shop. A couple of reasons; we now live in an all electric house, can't seem to cook worth a darn on an electric stove so I quit cookin'. And my wife can't easily handle a 10 lb. frying pan, anymore... :|

I have memories of my Dad cooking breakfast before we went to work (I was 14 and we had a rubbish route so we started at 6:00 am.). Dad never washed the frying pan, just pushed it to the back of the stove top and only changed the bacon grease once a month. But we didn't get food poisoning or diarrhea, just good old fried bacon and eggs... :D
Mike
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:...I clean with a plastic scrubber, no soap under hot tap water. Dry off, put on the stove, warm up and rub in a couple drops of olive oil with a paper towel. A more aggressive clean is salt, and oil. Next level is a stainless Chore Boy rough scrubber. If it rusts, I fill it half way with white vinegar, boil it for a couple minutes, leave it sit overnight, then use the Chore Boy to shine it up, wipe it out with oil (on a low stove setting) until the black residue goes away, and start all over. I've learned not to need a curing process, I just start using it with a little extra oil, and no liquids until it gets that nice black finish again. ...
I never, ever, use water on my Cast Iron.

I clean it exclusively with canola and, if necessary, coarse salt &/or a copper pad at just below smoking temp.

It's sterilized by the heat, and its all the "clean" it needs to be.

If you never use water it will never rust and you will never have to re-season it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:
BlaineG wrote:...I clean with a plastic scrubber, no soap under hot tap water. Dry off, put on the stove, warm up and rub in a couple drops of olive oil with a paper towel. A more aggressive clean is salt, and oil. Next level is a stainless Chore Boy rough scrubber. If it rusts, I fill it half way with white vinegar, boil it for a couple minutes, leave it sit overnight, then use the Chore Boy to shine it up, wipe it out with oil (on a low stove setting) until the black residue goes away, and start all over. I've learned not to need a curing process, I just start using it with a little extra oil, and no liquids until it gets that nice black finish again. ...
I never, ever, use water on my Cast Iron.

I clean it exclusively with canola and, if necessary, coarse salt &/or a copper pad at just below smoking temp.

It's sterilized by the heat, and its all the "clean" it needs to be.

If you never use water it will never rust and you will never have to re-season it.
That's one way. The water is not the problem. It's when you have burnt on pelosi that is not removed, and it rusts underneath it. (Just like copper in your rifle barrel)
When I finish the hot tap water/scrubber regimen, it goes on the stove burner, and gets the heat/oil treatment that takes care of any moisture. If I see "stuff" after I wipe with a bit of oil (canola stinks and tastes so bad...how do you stand it?) I'll do the salt/oil thing. I use olive most of the time. I fry with a combination of butter, olive, coconut, and sesame.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Absolute best way to cook bacon and eggs is in a cast iron skillet.

Heat skillet
cook bacon to desired crispness
remove bacon
crack a couple of eggs into the grease in the pan
Scoop the hot grease over the top of the eggs until done.

I'm sure that right about now someone is screaming about how bad that is for you. Well, I'm into six decades and I'm still here so it can't be all that bad. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

yes they do rust under the crust......

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
J Buck
Levergunner

Post by J Buck »

I've been cooking on cast iron now for I guess 15 + years and exclusively for the last 8 years. I finally got rid of the last of my "non-stick" pans when we moved 6 months ago into a smaller place. I have accumulated several skillets. 1 6", 3 8" , 3 10", 1 12" and 2 10' or so square ones, plus a couple dutch ovens and other stuff. I have more than I need, but can't bear to part with them. Some are 50-60 years old I got from family members. After cooking, I usually add a little water from the tea kettle and then go ahead and eat dinner. I wipe out with a wet sponge or paper towel and usually that's all required. Dry with a towel or warm up on stove a couple of minutes and wipe it down with some good old fashioned lard I keep in a coffee can. I store them on a bread rack I bought at some discount store and works out pretty good. I also have found that the more you use them the better they get, building up layer upon layer of seasoning. Every one should have at least 1 good 10 or 12 inch skillet. I'm hoping to pass a couple of mine down to my daughter after she develops a little more skill and discipline in the culinary arts. By the time she has children, some of these pans will be nearly 100 years old, and I just think that would be pretty cool.
"When you should shoot, shoot. Don't talk."- Tuco
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

me too. cast iron skillet and Dutch ovens.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm sure that right about now someone is screaming about how bad that is for you. Well, I'm into six decades and I'm still here so it can't be all that bad. :mrgreen:
Yep, my Dad had that for breakfast daily for at least 50 years, that I know of. I was 55 when he died at the age of 72 and he had fried eggs and bacon as long as I can remember. BTW he didn't die of diet related issues...
Mike
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

BlaineG wrote:

Cheers Mark
Educate me..... 8)
I have one big Griswold pan and an assortment of Lodge but in the last couple of years because of nerve problems in my hands I've purchased a carbon steel pan by Parderno World Cuisine (a Canadian company) and from France a Le Buyer Mineral B frying pan. The Mineral B is their cast iron line. It is not black and looks like a carbon steel pan. The pans cook like cast iron but are thinner thus lighter and have longer handles. They heat up faster than black cast iron but don't hold heat as long. They require seasoning and become nonstick with use. Other makers of carbon steel pans are Matfer and Mauviel from France and recently Lodge has started making some carbon steel pans. I really like the two pans I've purchased and will soon add the largest Mineral B frying pan that Le Buyer makes.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cold rolled steel, probably what prospectors used. This is probably almost 40 years old. Surprised these are not better known. As you can see, the steel is quite thin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Similar to the old hand hammered wok. Same age if this makes it clearer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the #10 Wagner. Don't be fooled, camera tricks, black as coal, 41 years old.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Same for all three, cook with oil, hot water, soap, green scrubby, dry, oil,. All these years doing it the same. This is not a religion, just cooking. Next up a chuck roast in the Wagner with the glass top on.
, brown, simmer with potaoes and vegetables. As per the old Gslloping Gourmet.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Same for all three, cook with oil, hot water, soap, green scrubby, dry, oil,. All these years doing it the same. This is not a religion, just cooking. Next up a chuck roast in the Wagner with the glass top on.
Soap every time? I've heard of that, but never tried it. It doesn't take off too much seasoning?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We have an old Wagner that seems to get the most use. Some other pieces of the new Lodge stuff are used from time to time but they are finished as well. I have 2 of the new Lodge muffin tins I want to try polishing to see how they do.
BTW, in a pinch if you really have problems you can wash them with DISH SOAP, not dishwashing detergent.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Old Savage wrote:Same for all three, cook with oil, hot water, soap, green scrubby, dry, oil,. All these years doing it the same. This is not a religion, just cooking. Next up a chuck roast in the Wagner with the glass top on.
Graham was good value for money.

Cheers Mark
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Old Savage wrote:Similar to the old hand hammered wok. Same age if this makes it clearer.
I have one of those hand-hammered woqs from the people's perfect proletariat prison paradise. It's my best woq but I only use it on the turkey fryer outside because of the round bottom. -Brian
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We were trying to recall the name of the guy that did the commercial. It works great for a few things.

JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

My wife and I do a lot of snooping around thrift stores.
quite often there are some nice, rusty cast iron frying pans.
I wondered if a person could sand blast them and season them.
harbor freight has some cheap sand blasting units.
maybe not worth the effort.
if you found enough you could sell a few?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chuck roast

JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I prefer to use a cast iron frypan at home, preferably one with a wooden handle - not only for insulation but also for additional leverage. The main exception is for acidic foods as those foods cause cast iron to rust easily and if that happens it taints the flavour of the food.

Dutch ovens or camp ovens as we call them here, are very popular. When the country was opened up a lot of explorers switched over to camp ovens made of heavy spun steel - they are a lighter than cast iron and more durable.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

jeepnik wrote:Absolute best way to cook bacon and eggs is in a cast iron skillet.

Heat skillet
remove bacon

All that image needs is a campground, campfire, and a quiet lake filled with trout and it's perfect.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

stew71 wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Absolute best way to cook bacon and eggs is in a cast iron skillet.

Heat skillet
remove bacon

All that image needs is a campground, campfire, and a quiet lake filled with trout and it's perfect.
:mrgreen:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

1894cfan wrote:
stew71 wrote:

Heat skillet
remove bacon

:mrgreen:
+1
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

quite often there are some nice, rusty cast iron frying pans.
I wondered if a person could sand blast them and season them

unless horribly rusty (deep pitting) I would buy them in a heartbeat

if you do even a quick search, there are many methods of de-rusting cast iron

they range from blasting (soda or sand) to different chemicals

something I've wanted to try is an electrolysis method, it's like electro-plating, only in reverse. associated videos are impressive

I just did a quick search on youtube and got over 94,000 results
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Heat skillet
remove bacon

I'm currently following "NSNG" (No sugars, no grains) diet principles --- granted there are hidden sugars and grains in lots of things - but I try to avoid the obvious offenders

The thinking on this is that animal fats and oils derived from that are healthier than oils derived from corn or GMO sources (Canola, vegetable oils etc ) --- is worse for you than animal fats as long as you aren't eating other things that encourage inflammation

I cant complain, I'm losing weight in a slow, healthy way ----
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the other end of the scale, one of the new ceramic nonstick pans very handy and impervious to scratches from metal utensils. Goes right in the oven if you like.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ooooh -- I was so busy talking about NSNG, I forgot to share my cast iron cooking tips :oops: :oops:

I love fish, but currently live in a small loft above a large garage (emphasis on small with no updraft ventilation in the kitchen)

but I do have a deck with a gas grill on it ! :idea:

I put the cast iron on the burger grillin' machine and turn up the flame --- first I coat the pan with some olive oil and rub it in -- olive oil has a low smoke point so when it starts to smoke, that's when I put on the fish

Been doing trout from my local health food store -- skin side down and I just monitor it until looks opaque -- then gently pry it off with a spatula -- the skin usually stays on the pan and I have to scrape it off later

------- I also like meatier cuts, like swordfish and tuna steaks -- with these I skip the olive oil and use some butter -- the pan stays a bit hotter that way it seems ---- a thick steak I have to flip, but the outer edges get a bit cauterized while the inside gets cooked to a delicious flaky texture as long as I do my part and don't leave it on too long

-----I have the same issues (stinky house) with cooking eggs and breakfast sausage/bacon etc inside, so I do them on cast iron on a grill as well
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Another option, might be good for the grill.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Savage wrote:Another option, might be good for the grill.
I make tortillas on one of those...

Fortunately my wet back is wet from the North Sea, but still...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!