Winchester 94 problem

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 94 problem

Post by magyars4 »

I have an opportunity to purchase a 94 at a very attractive price, the current owner claims that cartridges get "kicked out of the magazine" on a regularly. What might be the issue and is it an easy fix for someone with basic gunsmithing ability?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 94 problem

Post by J Miller »

magyars4 wrote:I have an opportunity to purchase a 94 at a very attractive price, the current owner claims that cartridges get "kicked out of the magazine" on a regularly. What might be the issue and is it an easy fix for someone with basic gunsmithing ability?
I would say the cartridge stop on the top front of the link has either been broken off or worn down.
If so they can be welded up and recut or peened and reshaped. Or any one with any mechanical ability can replace the link.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Build it up with some "Hardface" rod, then, file and test fit til it just lets one pass as the lever is fully opened.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Easy fix.

The lever link has a tit on the left that's either broken or worn on yours:

Last edited by Tycer on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Great project.easy fix for anyone who has mechanical skills.
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

Gentlemen, thank you!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Magyars4 did not mention whether it was an "1894" a "94" or one of the "later 94's" in which case I would pass on its not much better than low quality (hit or miss) came out of the factory in later years.

It boggles my mind when I hear of these later 94's with feeding issues ......or any issue.....when I regularly use 1894's that have seen thousands of rounds with no problems. It's either the metal they use, sloppy tolerances, or just plain poor craftsmanship.

I was just at the Ridgway Rifle Club over the weekend shooting close to a thousand rounds with a hundred out of a f.o. 1894 made in '16......1916 and that baby was knocking over the 200 meter chickens like no tomorrow. Even slammed the thousand yard buffalo a few times.....but talk about Kentucky elevation on that one!----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

Six-gun,
This particular 94 is a pre 64
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, this particular affliction can be found in nearly any vintage mdl 94; Tho', I have seen it more often in the pistol calibers of the AE persuasion.

Sixgun, the date of manufacture is NOT an assurance of a quality piece...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:Yep, this particular affliction can be found in nearly any vintage mdl 94; Tho', I have seen it more often in the pistol calibers of the AE persuasion.

Sixgun, the date of manufacture is NOT an assurance of a quality piece...
OK, I'm still perplexed. After owning and reloading for hundreds of antique Winchesters, I still find it hard to believe that a brass case can wear down a steel link. Must have been abused at some point.

In those same amount of Winchesters...or old Marlins....or Remingtons......or Colt long guns ........most all of these guns are pre-1910......the only parts that I have replaced are extractors. (3?), that rare ejector in my 2nd year 1892...after 8 thousand that I put out of it, a mainspring or two, one cartridge guide........uhhh.....thinking here.....tube springs....buggered screws.....a hammer on an 1886 that some novice filed down........oh....oh...a firing pin on an 1893 Marlin that was made in 1901.....pictured on my avatar.......and then there are the guns I bought that were missing parts that I had to replace
.......still thinking on the antique guns I have had to fix....after firing thousands of rounds through them.......

But......I can count the modern guns (never a Ruger) that match the amount of pubic hairs I have that
I have helped others fix at cowboy matches and playing at the gunclub so if my experience with date of manufacture has anything to do with it I'd have to say that gun companies started making junk starting in the sixties and getting progressively worse to the junk that's has been made since the middle nineties with mostly the pistol calibered Winchesters and Marlins getting the lions share. Seems their large caliber guns are pretty much issue free.

I must admit that I have never encountered any commemorative Winchester with issues. My good buddy Al Faust who is a one time National Silhouete champion told me he has put tens of thousands of jacketed bullets through a Lone Star and a Canadian Centennial. Those guns probably make the best shooters.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Well I don't hardly ever shoot a '94 and never had one with a failed cartridge stop; but on my '92's and my Marlins, if the cartridge stop isn't working I don't get cartridges "kicked out of the magazine". I get a jam. I mean a "get out the pocket knife and poke the second cartridge back up the tube" sort of jam. You fellows sure you gave magyars the right diagnosis?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

When that cartridge stop tit wears down or breaks on the link of a 94 Winchester then the cartridge in the magazine will slide under lifter when it is in the up position and you are trying to chamber a round. The action jams because the lifter cannot be lowered while the bolt is going forward. The gun is then useless. Been there done that. To clear thing up you have to pull the magazine tube cap, spring and follower and let the cartridge that is jammed under the lifter (because the tit didn't hold it in the mag to start with) slide out into the mag tube. Your gun is a single shot until you repair/replace the link.

I believe Winchester didn't always get the tempering/heat treatment of that cartridge stop right

Bob
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

For me, it's the post-war, pre-64"s that seem to have problems. I can't really comment on the post-64 examples cause I haven't messed with those much.

I have seen mostly lifter springs and cartridge stops, as above.
I would think it is a heat treat problem. I have a four digit number 1894, and many almost as old that have never had issues with either part.

Because of this, I never let the lifter snap up when unloading a 94. The smaller bore examples (up to .32) will tip the cartridge up through the guides when holding the rifle muzzle up. For me, it's easier than trying to get them out through the gate.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

Further discussion with the current owner gave me more details as to the problem exactly. Bob Hatfield has explained the issue exactly as the owner did....and it looks like it dates to the mid 40's.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

magyars4 wrote:Further discussion with the current owner gave me more details as to the problem exactly. Bob Hatfield has explained the issue exactly as the owner did....and it looks like it dates to the mid 40's.
If it's a "flat band", pick it up, worth doin' the repair, as they're pretty scarce.

Or, since I don't have one from that decade, if you decide not to... I might be a buyer! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!