Dove season

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Dove season

Post by rjohns94 »

I went out tonight for a couple of hours. Beautiful weather. Nice breeze. Lots of shooting all over the place. I got five in the last 11 mins of shooting time. Had my Mirouku made Daly over under sheet gun in the field tonight. Shot factory target loads. Saturday evening I think I will take my Ithaca 10 bore side by side out to have some shooting time. Will be using RST's #8's with the 10 bore. On Monday I will be using the Remington versa max competition tactical in 12 bore for a change.

Anyone else get out?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Dove season

Post by Steelbanger »

Today will be the opener for my son & I. He had work yesterday and I didn't want to disturb the flights until he can make it too.

I'll be using a new 28 ga. O/U which was made in Turkey. It came with another set of barrels for the 410 but I am going to save that one for rabbits.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nice. Good luck. Where in Pa are you located? I'm in south central pa
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ours starts saturday when the tropical storm arrives.

Early goose started yesterday and I was fashionably NOT THERE !

In anticipation of the dove opener I got a good deal on some Hevi Shot lead target loads so I got a flat for my little 20 gauge Parker VHE #8's 7/8 ounce and a flat of the same in 12 gauge target but 1 ounce #7 1/2 to use in my Parker VH multi purpose gun . That ones full and full but I shoot it well at skeet , trap , sporting and live birds .

I also put an order in to Jerry's monday and added on a couple 4 packs of Mojo dove decoys and one Mojo Voodoo Dove decoy ! I've used the regular clip on ones before but never had one of the battery operated jobs . We shall see if it was worth $35 LOL's !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bulldog »

Our season opened yesterday. I hope to get out this weekend. Nothing to humble your wing shooting skills like a dove field.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Bulldog wrote:Our season opened yesterday. I hope to get out this weekend. Nothing to humble your wing shooting skills like a dove field.

True Dat!! Good luck
Mike Johnson,

Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Mike,

I'm from the coal region, about 60 miles north of Harrisburg. Living the solitary retired life after being in the print industry for 40 years.

We saw plenty of doves yesterday and managed to bag a few, 11 by my son with his LH Winchester 1400 and 8 by me with my new O/U. What I really enjoy about hunting doves is the fact that we are hunting on my sons property and it seems to be a natural crossing point for the birds. I am impressed with the 28 ga. It seems to require the same lead as any other shotgun I have used, with just a slightly shorter effective range. I don't know when we'll get out again because of my son's work schedule but yesterday was great.

Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I missed several... but then, they ARE quicker than a Kenworth!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Texas dove season opened Thursday and 14 DWWC members welcomed it in out at Rule. Mouring doves till 8 am and then hundersd if not thousands of whitewings flying in flocks of from 30 to 100 at altitudes up to 50 yards and higher. They would not land in half mile square grain fields and just flew around the area. Lots of ammo burned and lots of folks shot their limits, but I shot a few Eurasian Ringneck doves(not a gamebird and do not count toward dove limit) and took a nap. That evening, I filled out my 15 bird mourning dove limit over a water hole near the Paradise Lodge just before dark.
Using my Parker repro 12 ga, the shooting was fast, furious, and FUN!

Yesterday morning, the whitewings were flying lower and we shot a bunch but only a few of the 15 bird limit.
Lotds of good food, toddies and cigars, and hunting tales. We closed out the hunt at noon with a 21 gun salute to a recently deceased member and twice DWWC president. We thought it appropriate as he ran the club dove hunts for decades.
A friend and outing to remember.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Frank, sounds like a great day.

Griff, glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that

CRS, sounds like a special day. That is what dove hunting is about, fellowship and good times.
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I went Saturday, they came in late. Here in Pa we can't hunt them but from noon to sunset. They come flocking in during the late evening hours. They came in heavy, but after sunset and I had few opportunities before shooting time closed. I did take one Still it was a beautiful day afield and the sunset was spectacular. Heading out in a bit for another chance at them. May do more walking today to jump them up. Will see
Mike Johnson,

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Shot limit first two days, its the Year of the Sixteen, so took 16ga Citori first day, but took me 45 shells to do it.
Next day took the Old Parker with 2 1/2" chambers out, shot limit 1/2 hour shorter time and only 34 shells.
Was out this morning in a field of sunflowers that weren't quite ripe yet, killed two and that was only two I shot at.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ive not been out yet even though they have been banging away in the neighbors cornfields today and sunday . Saturday I think it was a bit windy for them .

I think I might venture out tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday afternoon at the neighbors when it isn't as crowded !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I went out tonight with the Ithaca 10 bore. 6 shots. 2 dove. I suck at this but I sure have fun. Haha.
Mike Johnson,

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:I went out tonight with the Ithaca 10 bore. 6 shots. 2 dove. I suck at this but I sure have fun. Haha.
Here's a pic from the late December season a few years ago using my grandfathers old circa 1881 10 gauge hammerless back action lock .

I assume your Ithaca 10 gauge is like this one ?
We've had this gun for almost 40 years . When we got it it was in kinda sad shape my pop had the barrels re rust blued and the wood redone as well as replacing an old unoriginal pad with then all you could get a Pachmayer White Line . We never fired this gun until I pulled it out the safe 4 or 5 years ago and decided to mess with it once I had been using the W&C Scott for awhile and was set up to load for them .

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:I went out tonight with the Ithaca 10 bore. 6 shots. 2 dove. I suck at this but I sure have fun. Haha.
Actually if ya wanna be kinda technical about it . The supposed national average on these little guys is about 3 per box or 3 of 25 . So if you stayed at your present rate you'd get 8 for a box so that's almost three times better then the claimed national average !