Picked up a Remington 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Picked up a Remington 1911

Post by 2ndovc »

Stopped in at a local shop yesterday intending to "just look" at their Sig 1911s. Looked at a couple, really liked a couple of the ones they had in stock but didn't have either of the two that I was looking for. I was about to leave when I took a quick look at the used pistol case and there was this near perfect Remington R1 1911 with the box, papers, bushing wrench and spare magazines for $500 out the door. Well I couldn't let it sit there all alone with a bunch of wonder 9s so I handed the nice man my money and away I went!
Stopped at the range on the way home today to run a few rounds through it and was even happier I bought it. Fired about 50 rounds offhand from 15-25 yards with one failure to feed. Not sure why yet but wasn't able to make it happen again. Going to try it off a rest next session to see what it can do but I can see already that it's going to be a good shooter.
:D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Picked up a Remington 1911

Post by piller »

Looks good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nice !

I am contemplating a Rock Island 1911 and let my gunsmith buddy slick it up !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

6pt-sika wrote:Nice !

I've thinking of going that route also, really like the nickel plated .38 Super.

jb 8)

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2ndovc wrote:

I've thinking of going that route also, really like the nickel plated .38 Super.

jb 8)
When I go back to Philippines next year I might try and visit the factory there !

If I understood correctly the plant is close to Manila .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Buddy, an Ex AirForce PJ, just picked up an RI 10mm....he be lovin' it right out of the box.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have an R1 and couldn't speak more highly of it. The only thing I did to it was install an ambi safety due my left handed affliction. It has digested a ridiculous amount of ammunition over the past 5 years with any bobbles traceable to crummy aftermarket mags. It feeds H&G #130s without complaint and even the big Miha hollowpoints get fed without problems. Off the bench with target loads (#130 over 3.8 gr Bullsesye) it'll do 2" groups at 50 yards which wouldn't be too impressive for a dedicated Bullseye gun but I think it is phenomenal for a semi auto that is reliable enough for me to trust my life to it.

I hope you like your R1 as much as I do!

Eric
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Before you turn it over to your gunsmith, shoot it. If it's like mine, an Officer's ACP, it won't need a thing.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of the RIA 1911s, and I got Chip McCormick magazines for it. The only failures have been wolf ammo on the second shot out of the box and Gold Dot bullets. I blame the first on it being new and not broken in yet. As far as the Gold Dot bullets, my pistol just doesn't like them. I find that they catch on the ramp and fail to feed. Everything else feeds. I have tried everything that I can get a hold of, and it all feeds just fine. I just shoot the Gold Dot bullets in my Ruger Blackhawk pistol with the 2 interchangeable cylinders. My RIA has a nice crisp trigger right from the factory. Having compared it to only the other firearms that I have shot, it is among the best in my opinion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Remington definitely took something they knew a little about and fashioned a very well-functioning pistol. I've only seen a few in our "Wild Bunch" matches, but they work well, and suffer no complaints. Piller, polish that ramp... don't remove any metal, just polish it to a mirror-like shine, and I think you'll find that it'll feed those Gold-Dot bullets! All my 1911s will, tho' Speer's old "flying ashtrays" were better feeders.

The only complaint I have with the factory mags from the RIA/Taylor's guns I have (3) is that they're not legal for WB, for they're very reliable, so along with some Wilson's, those are saved for 3-gun games & SD work. The six McCormick "Shooting Star" magazines I have for WB, (no rubber or extended/oversize baseplate), work extremely well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Classic good looks --- I like the holster too :)
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice catch ! I paid $75 more for the one I bought new, shortly after they were introduced.

Mine shot accurately & reliably from the 1st shot with both .45 ball (for the 1st 500 rounds), then with a mixture of ball (practice) & JSP SD loads (business), for over 5,000 rounds, when I gifted it to my oldest Grandson for his 21st birthday (I started him shooting 1911 .45's when he was 11 years old - he took to them like a fish to water).

The only mod I made, strictly because I preferred the look/style, was to swap out the Gov/t Model hammer for a Caspian Arms old Commander-style small rowel hammer (I had to grind a little material from the upper side of the grip safety's tang to clear the rowel when the slide cycled).

AFAIK, (my GS' 25, now) he's put another 2500 rounds through it w/o a bobble.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Remington produces a great 1911!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats! That gun just looks awesome! 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

I want to get a picture of it with my old Colt 1911 but it's been a busy couple of days. I'll try again tomorrow.

jb 8)

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

2ndovc, that is a great looking 1911.

6pt, when you take your RI out of the box load the mags and wipe down the gun and shoot it. I have one and my son has one for his main carry gun, they are as dependable as any on the market.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JerryB wrote:2ndovc, that is a great looking 1911.

6pt, when you take your RI out of the box load the mags and wipe down the gun and shoot it. I have one and my son has one for his main carry gun, they are as dependable as any on the market.
I've not owned a 1911 in a few years , after the AR I ordered yesterday gets here I might just go ahead and get a 1911 in anticipation of a bad election year !