cutting metplate on bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

cutting metplate on bullets?

Post by gcs »

While I'm waiting to find a single six in 32m or 327, I still have a compact S&W 32 long HE that I'll use for 22 work.
The ammo I have is the lower power commercial lead round nose rounds, until I get around to reloading with something more appropriate.
Everything I've read says the round nose stuff ain't that great and the recommended bullets are flat nosed or Semi wad cutters.
So I'm thinking, :shock: , has anyone cut a small flat on loaded bullets, like Paco does with his 22mag tool?
maybe put the ammo in a tight fitting block with just the tip showing and cutting them off?
Is it more trouble then it's worth? Thanks as always!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: cutting metplate on bullets?

Post by Griff »

IMO, it's more trouble than it's worth.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You can also hollow point them to gain some impact.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:IMO, it's more trouble than it's worth.
Yep. I agree. There ain't much power in the 32 anyway. Kinda like putting a 4 barrel carb on your lawnmower. The round noses will probably be more accurate.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:
Griff wrote:IMO, it's more trouble than it's worth.
Yep. I agree. There ain't much power in the 32 anyway. Kinda like putting a 4 barrel carb on your lawnmower. The round noses will probably be more accurate.----6
....but the guy I paid to hook up the nitrous to my lawnmower said it would mulch better if I let him upgrade to 4-barrel....you think he was lyin' to me...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

My lawn mower has a two barrel carb from the factory. I was thinking about an two to four Bbl adapter.

hayabusa
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

gcs wrote:...., has anyone cut a small flat on loaded bullets,...
If you use a Forster case trimmer, they make a HP drilling attachment to do just that.

Jack
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Try it and see what it does.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Thanks all, I think it's doable, but probably not worth it. I'd be better off shooting it up and reloading something more appropriate, though I may experiment.
I doubt a hollow point would make much difference, there's just not enough horsepower to get it to open.

And my lawn mower is fast as it came from the factory! Especially if I can get my son to push it, and promise him some ribs..
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I would check the ballistics of the .32 Long. They are prolly so anemic that no bullet modification would make much difference. Even the deepest hollow point on a soft bullet needs some speed to open up, and a SWC would not be much difference at the slow speed they leave the gun at (average of 750 fps and an average of 124 lbs energy). I think I'd just keep it for informal target work and an occasional bunny at short range...

But there's another factor that comes into play; it's your gun, your ammo, your time. Working (playing) with guns is good pastime supplying a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment. Whether someone else thinks your project is a waste of time, is irrelevant. If I didn't have my guns to play with other than shooting and cleaning, I'd prolly be wasting my time on TV or posting replies on some forum...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I hAve been interested in this, but for some 9mm fmj I've stocked up on these many years. I don't have much other than hand tools and running a file free hand to put a flat point on a fmj probably won't do well in the consistency/accuracy dept.
Both my Glock and Sig shoot that east euro stuff fairly well. - Brian
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Shoot them and reload with your coice of bullets, rimrockbullets.net has 32's in 3 different hardnesses, buffalo bore ammo uses his bullets for the 32 as advertised on the site. danny
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gcs wrote:While I'm waiting to find a single six in 32m or 327, I still have a compact S&W 32 long HE that I'll use for 22 work.
The ammo I have is the lower power commercial lead round nose rounds, until I get around to reloading with something more appropriate.
Everything I've read says the round nose stuff ain't that great and the recommended bullets are flat nosed or Semi wad cutters.
So I'm thinking, :shock: , has anyone cut a small flat on loaded bullets, like Paco does with his 22mag tool?
With a set of removable vice jaws that are grooved to easily hold round objects, you could cut/file the bullet's nose to get the shape you want. Once you do that, it would likely change the performance from bullet #1 below possibly to #2:
32 Bullet Tests.jpg
Sixgun wrote:There ain't much power in the 32 anyway.
mikld wrote:I would check the ballistics of the .32 Long. They are prolly so anemic that no bullet modification would make much difference.
Yeah, maybe, but I'm pretty sure none of us would want to get hit with either #1, #2 or #3 above -- even though they are only "low power 32s"...

That MagTech load sure looks like it will leave a mark! :o

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

For something different, Brass Fetcher did an interesting test on some modified .32 ammo. It gave improved terminal ballistics over unmodified factory ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3b5Qoxu1l4
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

You can also sharpen bullets with the small pencil sharpeners. Works on round nose or semi wadcutters.
Slim