New 1894 Marlin Lever Sticks Open

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

New 1894 Marlin Lever Sticks Open

Post by CBinNH »

I picked up a Marlin 1894 FG 41 mag recently. If I load more than 2 rounds in the magazine, it will lock open. The round on the carrier is free/ loose. It seems like the next round in the mag is just starting to come out of the mag tube & stopping the carrier from lifting. I can get it to function by sticking a dowel in the action & pushing the offending round back in the mag tube. Is this the "Marlin Jam"? Is there an easy fix? Suck up the shipping cost & send it back to Marlin? Your thoughts/suggestions appreciated. Chris
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is not the Marlin jam. First, be certain that the loading gate screw (inside) is secure. Then if it still does it, you have to build up the cartridge stop. Sure sounds like the second thing to me as it is trying to let 2 in but not. It can have some weld applied and be reshaped OR get the part new from Marlin. Might be under warranty.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Brother had a Marlin 41 94 several years ago. It went back to Marlin three times. The first time was that it had a 44 barrel, and would group 8" in 25 yards barrel was marked 41. Then it was back to the Service center for what you discribe as your problem. Seems Marlin is using a 44 carrier in a 41. He build up the 44 carrier with JB Weld got the piece to function So-So. Finally sold it or traded it off and bought a 45LC Marlin 94CB.

The 41 Marlin does not have a good reputation, sorry to say. :(
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

The screws are all tight Hobie. I checked them all when I first got it. Lefty, I hope mine won't turn out to be a mechanical turd like your brothers. Chris
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Hate to contradict Hobie but letting in two IS the Marlin jam.
The loading gate & lever work together keeping the next round 1/2 way in the tube. As soon as you drop the lever that round starts coming the rest of the way out & the carrier cams up slightly to retain the next one in. Thats why Marlins arent OAL length sensative.

If the second one is getting in the way of the carrier its what we call the Marlin jam & what Marlin calls letting in two.

Theres a couple ways to deal with it. Is the gun new?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I imagine it is a bit of semantics. The term "Marlin Jam" is now so widely abused...

The "Marlin Jam" will do this but I think this is "letting in two" not because the cam is damaged/worn but because and only because the stop is worn or improperly shaped (which is what it sounds like). Two different things. (schematic of 1894)

Now we learn (is this more than just internet rumor) that Marlin uses the .44 Mag carrier in the .41s. That wouldn't give me a warm and fuzzy. It also reinforces my opinion (without actually handling the gun).

I think that is likely enough difference that it could account (given the stacking of tolerances one way or the other in any particular gun) for the stop partially letting in a second cartridge. Building up the stop could stop that.

A lot of folks really like their .41s so not all the guns can be having this problem. Like I said, I'd contact Marlin.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

The gun is new. I guess I should send it to Marlin. I just was hoping to avoid shipping on my end & a transfer fee upon it's return. Chris
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

CBinNH wrote:The gun is new. I guess I should send it to Marlin. I just was hoping to avoid shipping on my end & a transfer fee upon it's return. Chris

If the piece is new it would be covered by the Marlin factory warranty. You can ship a Fire Arm to a Mfg. for service and not go thru an FFL. Be sure you get authorization and an RGA number from Marlin before you ship. The may send you a shipping label. Upon return it will come back directly to you.

I had to return a New Colt SAA to the factory for warranty, Colt pick-up the shipping both ways. Long story, but it came in with a 45LC cylinder, I ordered from the Custom shop a 44-40 with a seperate 44 spec. cylinder.
Quite a surprise when I dropped in that 44-40 in the sloppy 45LC cylinder.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Thanks Lefty, I didn't know all that. I just looked in my owner's manual. It says ship insured pre-paid. I'll try to get out of work early enough to call their customer service center. Chris