Dipper vs RCBS Uniflow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Dipper vs RCBS Uniflow

Post by Old Savage »

Which will tend to be more consistent with reasonable care?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dipper vs RCBS Uniflo

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Both will give equal amounts of powder if properly used IMHO. That said the RCBS measure is much easier to get consistant charges with, also IMHO . My problem with dippers is that I have to many
Thumbs and tend to spill powder from them on the way to the cases mouth and funnel. The powder that ends up on the bench and floor pixx me off!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Uniflow works pretty good with ball and flake powders, not so good with stick powders, keeps jamming. Dippers, works good with some, not so good with others. Had a hard time getting consistant throws with IMR3031, but got good throws with IMR4064. More often than not with stick powders, ended up weighting out for each cartridge on the powder scale. HTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Years ago weighed every rifle load and chronographed everything. Now just want to hit a canteloupe at 200 yds with 223 and 10 yds with 32 Mag single action. Looking for some efficiency from a Rock Chucker.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I have a RCBS measure that I seldom use .
I prefer my Lyman #55 measure as easier to set up and more consistent

That being said, I usually dip my rifle charges into the scale pan.
I've gotten quick enough to suit me and loading 20-40 rds of rifle ammo, it probably isn't all that much more time.
I've gotten my monies worth from the Lee dippers, many times over.

Jack
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like my Lee Dippers. They are quick and dirty. If I was going for benchrest top accuracy, I'd weigh every load.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

BlaineG wrote:I like my Lee Dippers. They are quick and dirty. If I was going for benchrest top accuracy, I'd weigh every load.
+1
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

BlaineG wrote:I like my Lee Dippers. They are quick and dirty. If I was going for benchrest top accuracy, I'd weigh every load.
Same here
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For my rifle loads, I like the RCBS Uniflow. It has no problem cutting long grain powders for precise measures. However, I only use those stick powders in 2 cartridges, neither of which is very high volume.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I much prefer the Uniflo. I have two, one for large charges and one for small charges. I also have two Lymans, one of which is the black powder version that I really like. I do have a set of Lee dippers, but use them only when I am loading a ten round lot of test loads.

Unfortunately, as fast as they are making up new anti-gun laws here in Kalifornia, I expect I will soon have to have a special expensive license to use my reloading equipment. :x

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

This vid will show you a powder measuring device that is quick & dirty as as dippers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUhEXdeF0JI ... used ones are cheap. I love mine...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... l&_sacat=0
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Between friends and myself, we have used just about every type of powder measure out there.There appears to be very little difference in in any of them.
Use a powder trickler with any of them, that will give the most accurate and repeatable load.
100 to 300 yard shooting and even further is good enough by using volume measure only, if the powder charges being thrown are accurate to within a 10th of a grain.
The uniflow is well made, but never saw any better charges than the flimsy plastic lee measure. I use one. I weigh every 10th charge, and keep the hopper topped up. Its faster than the lee scoop, but not by much, and no more accurate depending on your technique.
Longer shooting distances, will require weighing charges for the most accurate loads, for which i add the use of a powder trickler.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
Dippers are for guys who have lots of time on their hands. You will never notice the difference with accuracy with a half grain variation in about any load unless you are using very small charges of a fast burning powder. I call it BS. when someone tells me they use 26.3 grains of powder. I load for 60 calibers and in my notes there are no .3 or .7. Everything is either a full grain or a half....period

I run 95% of everything I load through a progressive RCBS Pro-2000 and a Piggyback and for the other 5 percent I don't have a shell plate for that particular cartridge due to a low volume production output such as the 38 S&W or the 267 weirdo.

I personally know many top notch long range (up to a 1000 yard) shooters and I can't remember any of them telling me they weigh their charges.

Practice makes perfect with a powder measure and with a bit of diligence you can drop any load within + or - .3 of a gr. Consistency using this tool is the trick.-------6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, wanted to press my 223 into action. Used dippers and a Lee Hand Press. Sloppiest rifle reloading I had ever done. But, 1/4" group for three shots at 50 yds. Started recalling what I had read about the target boys using volume and not weighing. Wondered if volume controls something like maybe surface area better than weight does. Then I pulled out a Rock Chucker I have had for many years. So about to use a Uniflow I have also never used and wondered for this thread if volume is better controlled by eyeballing the dippers or using the Uniflow.

Loaded 10,000 plus rounds of rifle weighing to a tenth. Always got good accuracy but never gave the volume system more than a passing chance but really just wanted to see if it wasn't worse using something like 4831 in a .270.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dipper vs RCBS Uniflow

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with six. +1.
That said, I have a set of Lee dippers somewhere, never used them .well, maybe once.
I have two RCBS Uniflow measures,one with large cylinder and one with small cylinder. That one loads all my CAS .45 Colt ammo and the cylinder never gets moved off of 6 gr. Used with Trail Boss and RedDot and 200 and 230 gr.cast bullets.
I also have two Redding no.3 measures ,the ones they call benchrest measures. Also one with large and one with small cylinders. They load everything else I shoot.
They all work fine but I just like the Redding best. I am a fan of GREEN!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr.'s old website was still up and running at www.castbullet.com If you look on his sight he did a good article on dippers.

I like my lee dippers and use them all the time. I was just wondering the other night if there would be any market for dippers made of something higher quality than the Lee dippers. Something like brass or aluminium.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Junior contends volumetric measure is not affected by humidity but weight is.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I used Lee dippers for the first 5 years I loaded my own. I got great results with them, but once I got some funds saved, I went to a RCBS Uniflow and never used the dippers again. But they certainly can give good uniform loads. I found dippers had the same issues with consistency as the RCBS with the same powders. Stick powders were still tough to scrape off level, just as they cut off poorly with the RCBS. I went to a Lyman 55 later, and never used the Uniflow again. It is more consistent.
I recently purchased a Harrel's Precision powder measure, and I'm amazed by it's accuracy, and repeatability. Plus I can ask anyone else with a Harrel's what their load setting is, and dial in the same number of clicks in mine, and get the identical load! It's head and shoulders above any powder measure I've ever used.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I decide to up my reloading game, and volumn, I'll get a nice electronic scale that meters out an exact charge. Those beam balance scales are soooo sloooow....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Savage wrote:Junior contends volumetric measure is not affected by humidity but weight is.
OS,

I have read his website entries and offerings here and learned a lot. Because of him, I experimented with the dipper system and followed his guidelines carefully (I think it was him) like:
1) Dip into the powder without compressing it as you scoop;
2) Use cardstock (like a greeting card) for a clean scoop across the top, for consistency.

Using my RCBS powder measure, I determined that the weight of the powder varies from season to season (or at different climate changes) against the Lee Dipper chart. That is, I copied the online Lee Dipper chart that shows powder equivalencies, and made an Excel spreadsheet.

Then, at various loading times, I determined that the powder weight does in fact change from the volumes shown on the sheet, meaning that water content in the air (or something - that's my uneducated guess) makes those changes. This was using the same lot of powder - from the same container.

So my spreadsheet idea was a good one for me, but there were frequent small changes in the data.

All of that is well and good, but the fact remained for me that either the RCBS Uniflow Measure or the Lee Auto Disks (and later, the superior Lee Powder Measure Bar) in the Lee Auto Measure - all work very well and efficiently, and are light years faster to apply. Even dumping into a loading block with the RCBS device is a very quick procedure, as you know.

Then, there is the problem of only certain levels of powder loads that are available because of the preset sizes of the dippers - or the Auto Disks. When I started using the Lee Measure Bar, it was like a new world for the pistol loads - fast, easy, accurate.

Bridging Problems - RCBS Uniflow
I have used the technique of flicking the RCBS Uniflow with my finger or delivering a snappy upstroke after later experimentation, to keep it from bridging. This works well for everything except Red Dot and a few other very fine powders that I just won't use, unless I want to break out the dippers.

I keep reading from contributors here that they never have a problem with Red Dot and some other troublesome powders, but I have to rely on how things work for me. I consistently had some erratic results: Occasional bridging and clumping, giving erratic dumps in an otherwise very reliable device.

As noted elsewhere, when I start loading rifle rounds with my Hornady Lock N Load AP, I'll break out its powder measure and see how it does. But for right now, I really love those inexpensive metal and plastic Lee Auto Disk Powder Measures with a Measure Bar installed. They have proven to be very reliable. But you need something different for large dumps of powder, as with all but the mildest rifle loads.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Junior contends volumetric measure is not affected by humidity but weight is.
Four points:
  • • Actually... Whether you use the Lee dipper or Uniflo, it's volumetric measurement.
    • What the Uniflo allows you to do, is change the volume in less than tenth cc increments.
    • Since bullets manufacturers & powder companies list their recommended load range data by weight, confirming your volumetric charge by weighing it is not a bad idea.
    • Same as confirming that the mass produced, plastic 1.3cc, (or whatever) dipper is, in fact, measuring that exact amount, would not be a waste of time.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

No comments on the volumetric Belding & Mull?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, just what I was thinking and will be checking those points. With the Dillon RL550B I was throwing a volume and trickling up to weight. Not going to weigh each charge after I find that the weight is in the range I want. Thanks

My interest was sparked by the accuracy of the loads with the Hand Press and the dippers and the fact that I already had a Rock Chucker and Unifliw that I had bever used due to the Dillon.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ben_Rumson wrote:No comments on the volumetric Belding & Mull?
I like it. But, like my Uniflo when I bought it, no baffle. Early on im my reloading, I found charges varied quite a bit between the time the powder was full and nearing empty. I used to load in blocks of 50 rounds... checking my powder weights at the beginning & end of each block. Putting a baffle in there solved that. Made my first one of an old milk carton. I should probably think about replacing it! :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote:If I decide to up my reloading game, and volumn, I'll get a nice electronic scale that meters out an exact charge. Those beam balance scales are soooo sloooow....
Don't waste your money. Electronic scales can vary easily with external interference, and give erratic readings. Air flow, fluorescent lights, motors, etc. I have one sitting here, and tossed it in a drawer after comparing the readings to several beam scales, and finding it wasn't always accurate.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:No comments on the volumetric Belding & Mull?
I own a B&M, and they're a very good measure. But they work better with black powder than they do with smokeless. The problem with a B&M is changing the measure tube. It's extremely frustrating to make small adjustments in the B&M measure, and get it right without numerous attempts. With BP the volume measurement works better, and not as critical to try to need small tenth's of a grain measurement.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

I have used dippers for years.Best way yet to set up scales.Get close to load I want then trickle in powder to bring scale plus or minis .1gr.Sometimes I get lucky and hit the mark right out of dipper.Some powders you can gently shake excess to level dipper others you will need to strike dipper level.just the same keep the dipping dish full so everything is always the same..
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yep most PM need a a baffle. B&M as well… I’ve got a Uniflow I hate cutting powder.. The drop from the B&M isn’t effected when it easily cuts powder grains without a hitch . Making adjustments can be tedious on the B&M tubes ... but you can say the same about most other PM too. That’s why most folks leave them set for a particular load and pick up for cheap more PM for dedicated loads. I use dedicated tubes that I’ve I picked up for cheap. They're like a brass dipper used with a thingy that fills them the same every time but with but with no striking... Just straight to the funnel.
For weighed charges I’ve got the Lyman electronic DP 200 automatic powder dispenser. Both work good with my Lee turret press.
WIL TERRY
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:That’s why most folks leave them set for a particular load and pick up for cheap more PM for dedicated loads.
If you ever try a Harrel's Precision, you'll never use any other. I mark my loads on the side of the hoppers, and simply click in what I need.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

MM I've eyeballed those for a long time now... I've read that the bench rest boys love them & have also seen favorable comments from bench rest shooters when comparing the charge accuracy to the B&M But the Harrel's is the best for ease of use.. Set up.. repeatability, you name it..
WIL TERRY
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

At least to me the volumetric high end presses are another subject more like an optimized system.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ben_Rumson wrote:MM I've eyeballed those for a long time now... I've read that the bench rest boys love them & have also seen favorable comments from bench rest shooters when comparing the charge accuracy to the B&M But the Harrel's is the best for ease of use.. Set up.. repeatability, you name it..
Another feature of the Harrel's is they are all matched to each other! I can ask someone how many clicks they put into their Harrel's for a particular powder charge, and come up with the exact same charge by entering the number in mine.
I have one hopper that I have all my various Unique powder charges on the side. I simply unscrew the cap and screw the hopper on my Harrel's PM. Then dial in the clicks on the hopper, and it drops the same charge I select. Hoppers are $6 ea., so having powder stored in them is inexpensive for the powders I use most.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

MM Which model are you talking about? I'm thinking I may as well get one as I've got just about every other one.
WIL TERRY
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

marlinman93 wrote: If you ever try a Harrel's Precision, you'll never use any other. I mark my loads on the side of the hoppers, and simply click in what I need.
Never heard of this product or company before! Interesting.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I personally have the Schuetzen model, as it's got enough capacity for all my cartridges. Each click is .03 grains on mine. But all models are the same quality. The black bodies are a bit less expensive than polished aluminum, but same accuracy. (about $30 less.)
http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/produ ... ol-measure

Harrel's seems to be a well kept secret, as I never heard of them until a year ago. They are big amongst competitive shooters, and everyone there seems to know the name. I purchased mine used from a friend. I found aftermarket hoppers that were much cheaper than Harrel's sells them for.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Interesting that their "Schuetzen" model is not recommended for BP. None of the others I looked at had that notation.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Put the uniflow into action tonight. Seems quite consistent and a joy to use .... 8.0 gr of 2400 with an 85 gr Hornady in 32 H&R Mag. Lyman makes a free standing base that works great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote:Interesting that their "Schuetzen" model is not recommended for BP. None of the others I looked at had that notation.
It's because the Schuetzen model has a smaller capacity, and wont hold enough volume for some black powder charges. Since I don't shoot BP, it's great for my uses. If I ever shot BP, I'd use my B&M.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Harrel is a very accurate measure ,and as most benchrest competators reload at the range between relays,the ability to just dial in the charge is important. Often they will adjust their charges to match conditions and may be shooting a slightly different charge later in the day as the temp increases or it could be humid part of the day and dry the rest also requiring an adjusted charge to get the ultimate precision from their loads.
At over $300 they are not often seen on the hobby reloaders bench. That cost is low for a guy who may
Go through a dozen barrels a year in search of that perfect hummer barrel/ load combination.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Although you can pay $300 for the top of the line Harrel's, the same quality goes into the smaller versions also. The Culver 90 is black Teflon coated, and sells for $200 even.

When I first got mine, I adjusted it to about 6 different Unique powder charges I often use. Then counted clicks for each charge weight. I turned it back to zero in between charge settings, and reset the dial for each weight. Then dropped a charge on my scales. After dropping all six charges, I repeated the process 5 more times, adjusting through the various loads. Every time the Harrel's measure dropped an exact charge for the number of clicks dialed in. And knowing it was .03 grains per click, I could change the charge 20 clicks and know I changed the charge .6 grains.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

marlinman93 wrote:Although you can pay $300 for the top of the line Harrel's, the same quality goes into the smaller versions also. The Culver 90 is black Teflon coated, and sells for $200 even.

When I first got mine, I adjusted it to about 6 different Unique powder charges I often use. Then counted clicks for each charge weight. I turned it back to zero in between charge settings, and reset the dial for each weight. Then dropped a charge on my scales. After dropping all six charges, I repeated the process 5 more times, adjusting through the various loads. Every time the Harrel's measure dropped an exact charge for the number of clicks dialed in. And knowing it was .03 grains per click, I could change the charge 20 clicks and know I changed the charge .6 grains.
OK, now THAT is impressive!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

KirkD

Post by KirkD »

Call me unreasonable, but I weigh every single charge for all my cartridges and calibers, unless I'm loading up a pile of 45 ACP. I use the Hornady Lock n Load powder measure, but I still weigh every charge.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/