history . .. . .. currently watching

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

history . .. . .. currently watching

Post by Grizz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjlog5_y1Y

this stream of discovery forks off into many branches with lots of museum quality photos and paintings

200 years before America was, HBC was.

over,
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: history . .. . .. currently watching

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Fantastic film, thanks. I enjoyed that.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty cool show.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjlog5_y1Y
this stream of discovery forks off into many branches with lots of museum quality photos and paintings
200 years before America was, HBC was.
over,
Part one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHskQCieJ6k
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for looking.

Yes that was part 2. I think there are six in the series, but haven't watched that far yet.

Wouldn't surprise me if some folks here have direct connections to the entire Hudson Bay enterprise, or to the French guys coming thru the St. Lawrence. It is totally fascinating.

It is also fascinating that perhaps Thom. Jefferson was unaware of the fur trade history of canoe travel on the rivers, seeing that he sent Louis and Clarke out with a flat boat. OK for lower reaches but useless in the faster water. I wonder if someone knows any details about that.

There is a factual error in the segment I posted. I think I heard the narrator claim that the birchbark canoe was the only indiginous transfer of technology to europeans. But of course the Russians made great use of the Inuit skin boats. Those guys actually went as far south as San Diego, and spent time trading and harvesting in San Francisco Bay loooong before any crooners left their hearts there.

Somewhere there is a famous painting of a herd of kayaks towing a becalmed full-rigged ship into Sitka through a channel I've transited many times. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

So, the scope is broadened wide open, let's hear some more history.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

We used to vacation in Canada ( north of Minnesota a couple hundred miles) at Lake of the Woods IIRC.
That area looks a lot like the waterways in the film. That country has great fishing and seems to be almost all bedrock. The trees grow out of cracks in the rock.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Grizz wrote:
It is also fascinating that perhaps Thom. Jefferson was unaware of the fur trade history of canoe travel on the rivers, seeing that he sent Louis and Clarke out with a flat boat. OK for lower reaches but useless in the faster water. I wonder if someone knows any details about that.

I'm in the middle of a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition called "Undaunted Courage". (Real good, highly recommend!) After they got into the upper reaches of the Missouri River, they sent the big boat (a keelboat, I think they called it) back to St. Louis with reports and specimens to be delivered to President Jefferson. They continued from that point with pirogues and dugout canoes. That's where I'm at in the book now.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my son told me that's a great read. I plan to but keep forgetting.

here's the painting I referenced above:
tall_ships.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

claybob86 wrote:
Grizz wrote:

I'm in the middle of a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition called "Undaunted Courage". (Real good, highly recommend!) After they got into the upper reaches of the Missouri River, they sent the big boat (a keelboat, I think they called it) back to St. Louis with reports and specimens to be delivered to President Jefferson. They continued from that point with pirogues and dugout canoes. That's where I'm at in the book now.
Great book! There is one thing that amazes me about the expedition.

This may be a spoiler...

Is that at the end, the only thing they didn't run out of was lead and firearms.....