Small Prayers Needed...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Small Prayers Needed...

Post by Old No7 »

I say "small", as I am well aware that some others here and their families are facing much bigger issues.

Anyway, seems I've come down with a case of The Shingles...

They say it can be triggered by stress, and it was a heck of a year this past one, that's for sure... They give you meds to "speed up the virus" to get it out of you faster, and after 2 days, the rash isn't any bigger. So I'm hoping it doesn't get as bad as some of the images I've seen................

I can take the pain -- it's the stigma of having an "old person's disease" that really bugs me! :wink:

When I said that at the office, the nurse told me they see folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s getting it too, not just those of us in their 50s who are "too young" for the vaccine. Get that shot -- if you can! Save yourself some pain and aggravation.

Oh, speaking of pain & aggravation, I also need to limit the amount of Old No7 I intake, so the meds can work through my liver. :cry:

So, small prayers please that this will remain a small issue. Thanks.

Old (and getting older...) No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: Small Prayers Needed...

Post by plowboy 45 »

Will do 7
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Prayers up! Had a mild case of chicken pox when I was young, AND a MILD case of shingles about 3 years ago. The only meds I took for the discomfort was advil.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You might want to check with your physician as to advise on taking methylfolate, along with methylcobalamin and B-6, during recovery, as those are vital for nerve maintenance and healing.

That goes DOUBLE if you have a MTHFR mutation (which are fairly common), and double as well if you are insulin resistant (or actually diabetic).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Had a bout with it earlier in the year. Doc stuck me on an antiviral and I used Oragel mixed with some Lanacane cream to "dull" the itching and covered the area(between my eyebrow and temple) with a band-aid ,to keep the sun and sweat off of it. Helped immensely.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Follow up on Doc AJ's advice! My wife had a mild case and had long term nerve damage. Keeping you in my thoughts,

Terry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( My Mother's dad would get them all the time. Good luck with yours. Prayers for your recovery.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you're prescribed Lidoderm patches, they help the pain a lot, and ARE approved for shingles pain, but the insurance typically requires a 'prior-authorization' that takes a few weeks, by which time you usually don't need the patches. They run six bucks or so apiece, so sometimes you can talk the pharmacist out of just a few that you pay cash for, and if they work well, you may want to just pay for them out of pocket and try to file for reimbursement after they get 'approved'.

I believe the Lidoderm is a 6 % patch, and there are some non-prescription ones I've seen that are 4 or 5 %, which might work similarly.

However, the lidocaine is only for the PAIN, and doesn't help healing or nerve repair and so-on.

ALSO - like cold sores, 'shingles' is an infection you got many years ago that was dormant, and for SOME reason it started growing again. Most of the time that reason is harmless - stress from a job change, stress from watching the DNC, stress from a recent injury or infection, or whatever. BUT sometimes that stress is from a serious illness you aren't aware you have, such as a cancer, diabetes, or whatever - so get a good checkup soon.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Prayers on the way, the limited amount of Old No 7 sounds serious....... :cry:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Prayers Up.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

.45colt wrote:Prayers Up.
Amen
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I "caught" shingles at 43. But since I also IDd the outbreak early, a regimine of antivirals and a "shingles creme" from a Compounding Pharmacist kept the outbreak to a patch that got no larger than a quarter on the back of my head.

Haven't had a relapse, but I'm always on the alert.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My father was twice cursed with shingles, once on his back, and as he lay dying in ICU of H1N1 influenza, in his mouth.
You have my prayers No. 7. I need to get that shot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Done.

You should be OK soon, No.7.

FWIW, if anybody's had chickenpox, the virus that causes shingles in laying dormant in your body - and may/may not re-activate.

I had chickenpox as a child, then 64 years later got hit with shingles that targeted one side of my neck.

I considered myself fortunate, in that I previously had partial neck dissection surgery on that side, which removed much of the nerves there - so I felt no pain, only some "heat".

The VA gave me "something" (I mis-remember exactly what) right away, then after the rash disappeared, gave me what they referred to as "shingles vaccine".

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

This is the compounding pharmacist that made my "shingles creme". It works.

http://www.specialmedicines.com
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Prayers up. Does the shingles vaccine stop further outbreaks?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ol' Number Seven,
What you need is an Rx from AJMD429 for a Colt 45 shootin' iron - or ANOTHER one if you already are properly heeled.

It relieves the stress and enhances the GF (Giggle Factor) enzymes.

Having said that, prayers up for you.

JdeF
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up for sure!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks to all for the tips!

I'll check into those related to any nerve damage -- so I can get back to being as "normal" as I was before! :wink:

My mother suggested "crushed aspirin", available from a pharmacy, for the pain. But so far, Advil works OK. 24-hours later, the rash is redder, but no larger... And our resident Doc said:
"...and for SOME reason it started growing again. Most of the time that reason is harmless - stress from a job change..."
Yup, that could be it!!! Ysabel Kid knows some of the backstory on that... We'll leave it at that... But I am in a MUCH better place now, thankfully.

Guys: Get the vaccine if you can, but I'm told it is not always 100% effective at preventing an outbreak, but should help lessen it.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Hey Old #7, Isn't it fun! Been there in my mid 50's. Followed the L5/S1 nerve with blisters up my butt cheek, across my back and around to my belly. Sort of like poison ivy with a blow torch and sciatic pain all rolled together. It took me a couple of weeks to figure it out and get to a doctor. It was gone in about two months, but left some nice scars on my back and stomach, (can't see my butt). It makes getting thrown by a horse feel good in comparison! I'll sure say one for you, I wouldn't wish it near anyone. Well maybe certain politicians.... Watch out for infections, I found that witch hazel would give me a little short term relief when the blisters were breaking. Tramidol (sp) helped me at night. Good luck, you will survive it!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I feel really lucky about mine.

Started on the back of my head. Having just been around a lot of horses/stables, thought it was a horsefly bite (got several back there on top of old baldy). But when it got bigger/crusty I went to a 24hr clinic and they immediately said "shingles" and "do NOT touch it then around your eyes".

IIRC the compound creme (gel really) had lidocaine and other stuff in it, but the lidocaine kept the itch/burn manageable.

Bit I danged sure didn't want it growing on my head. I like what little eyesight I have...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Sent, God Bless and comfort
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Best wishes old friend. Hope you heal well.

Check some trad ointments out if you wish and add some water to the #7.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

On the way...

My Pa got a nasty case on his upper thigh, it was the beginning of the end for him and debilitated him for much of his remaining time.

Supposedly there is some kind of vaccine you can take, but most insurance will not approve. Then again with a $15k family out of pocket, guess that is not much of an issue any way!