Added a couple of S&Ws

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Added a couple of S&Ws

Post by 2ndovc »

Over the past couple of months I've been working on replacing a few of the guns that were sold off while I was in the hospital last winter and not expected to make it. Some will be easy and a few I doubt I'll ever be able to replace even if I do see one. What's been done is done and I've been able to pick a few.

I bought these two .357s about six weeks ago and finally had time to get some pictures. One really nice Model 19 and a beater Model 586 ( looks much better in the photos).
The Pachmayr's have to go and I'm deciding what to do with the 586. Just knock down the rust and leave it be? Have it refinished in a more utilitarian style(Cerakote)? Do something really special like a deep blue refinish, gold bead front sight or maybe even have the frame case colored? That sure would be different! :D

Here's the rest of the pack.
Along with the new kids are my Victory Model, Model 17, Model 1917, Second Model Hand Ejector .455, and my Model 29.

I've picked up a couple long guns too, need to get outside for some better light but it was raining for most of the day.
I have a long way to go but it will be fun getting there. Thank God they didn't get into my Winchesters or Marlins, but the 1911's took a beating. :(

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Added a couple of S&Ws

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Glad you are still around, best of luck at rebuilding your collection.

I sold a S&W 586 (Nickel) that was in excellent condition. I was thrilled for the price I got at the time. Unfortunately S&W stopped producing the 586 a short time later and the prices have skyrocketed. I haven't seen another in the same condition.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
snkbittin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by snkbittin »

Glad your around to rebuild your collection! very nice..I also have a few Smiths and love to see them in good homes
Fords..Shelbys..John Deeres..Winchesters..Colt..S&W and O scale RR’er
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Nice haul. I actually those little grips on the 19. Those Grippers would have to go though. I think if you refinish the 586, you should consider having S&W do it. They have different grades of bluing to offer and it would be a provable factory finish if you keep your invoice.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

44shooter wrote:Nice haul. I actually those little grips on the 19. Those Grippers would have to go though. I think if you refinish the 586, you should consider having S&W do it. They have different grades of bluing to offer and it would be a provable factory finish if you keep your invoice.

Great idea! Didn't know they offered refinishing. High polish blue is listed at $275 which sounds down right reasonable.
Thanks!

jb 8)

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have some Smiths too. I wouldn't exactly call that 586 a beater and personally I wouldn't refinish it but it`s yours.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Booger Bill wrote:I have some Smiths too. I wouldn't exactly call that 586 a beater and personally I wouldn't refinish it but it`s yours.
It looks a lot better in the pictures than it does in person. Going to start with some new grips and a new front sight. I really dislike those red ramp sights. From there I'll decide if I'm going to have it re-blued. I've only had that done one other time and wouldn't do it to an historically significant firearm but this one seems to be screaming at me to do something with it. I don't mind a warn/ well used finish but this one was just neglected and abused and I think it deserves a do over.

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Beautiful shooters. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Like the others have said, very nice collection.
2ndovc wrote:Over the past couple of months I've been working on replacing a few of the guns that were sold off while I was in the hospital last winter and not expected to make it. Some will be easy and a few I doubt I'll ever be able to replace...
True -- but that's a better alternative versus that other option...

Good luck. Glad you're still here!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Nice looking collection.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.