Model 88 restock?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Model 88 restock?

Post by Walker »

Guys, does anyone recognize the stockwork on this Model 88? It's local, .308, with an old Redfield wideview 3x9.
m88b.JPG
m88a.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 88 restock?

Post by Pete44ru »

To my mind, it looks like it came from the company which, at one time, was customizing Model 88's & (most, but not all) converting them to .358Win - by Geoff Miller of what was once Rogue River Rifleworks (Paso Robles, CA).

IME, they usually trade hands for more than 3x the value of an issue M-88.

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Pete, do you know anyone who had one that Rogue River worked on? Just wondering because it only looks like this one was restocked. Trigger's a bit mushy but not awful.

Thanks,

Terry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IDK anybody, personally - but if you google "rogue river custom Winchester model 88", you should bring up quite a few references.

ALL Model 88 triggers are/were like that - I just lived with the trigger on the .308 I had, once upon a time.

IIRC, not many gunsmiths were very successful in refining the M-88 triggers - most will just refuse to do trigger work on them.

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Pete. Looks like they used to do nice work. If Chuck Yeager like his, might have to check this one out.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice! It looks like the stock maker fixed the main issue that 88 stocks were criticized for back in the day... Flexing at the magazine area from the stock being too thin there. The reflections from the lighting in the photos looks like it has been thickened along the action area to include the mag area.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is a real beauty !! wish either of my 88s had that wood.
cable
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

It shoulders and points pretty well. The action is a bit dry. It isn't available to run DROS yet, but I'll post range results as soon as I get it. Have to lay in a supply of whatever it will shoot well before the idiot laws take effect Jan 1st.

I should have gone back home after getting out of the Navy...