Gallagher carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Gallagher carbine

Post by barbarossa »

Just picked this up an Erma Gallagher carbine, it is in mint condition , has been relined to 50cal and came with 23 brass cartridges,unused spare nipple and a mould.I have a Shiloh Sharps 1863 sporting rifle and this will fit right in my Bp collection.I always was curious why Erma a german firm decided to make an obscure
civil war carbine like the Gallagher.It is built like a tank and the only thing Erma did wrong was put too fast a twist in the bore ,the reason being mine was relined
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gallagher carbine

Post by Pete44ru »

barbarossa wrote:
I always was curious why Erma a german firm decided to make an obscure civil war carbine like the Gallagher.

Money/income...........Like any other company, they thought that they detected a market (CW re-enactors) for their wares, and acted upon it.

(aka: There's a butt for every seat ;) )

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Just too bad they hadn t of made a first model maynard as well
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I was sorta partial to the repro Smith's Carbine I shot a dozen years ago, but that Gallagher's looks nice too.

The Smith sealed the chamber joint via using rubber cartridges.

Image Image Image

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Part of the reason was they had access to very inexpensive WWII surplus, like new 13.1mm German aircraft machinegun barrels. These were cut and turned down to fit, and very few people were happy with the results. Thus yours has alreasy been re-lined.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

barbarossa wrote:Just too bad they hadn t of made a first model maynard as well
Try this link !

http://www.romanorifle.com/7201.html

I've had this guys guns in my hands before and they appear to be of very good quality . Made a special trip to the North South Skirmish thing in Winchester Virginia a couple years back just to see what he had in his booth !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

At first blush I thought you were talking about a special carbine designed to blow up watermelons a'la "The Incredible Sledge-O-Matic"...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I know of the Romano Maynard. I was referring to that if Erma had of made one it as a production piece would be a lot cheaper to purchase than the Romano version and probably had been more successful for them
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

barbarossa wrote:I know of the Romano Maynard. I was referring to that if Erma had of made one it as a production piece would be a lot cheaper to purchase than the Romano version and probably had been more successful for them
Typically "cheaper" isn't better :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very interesting! 8)

Congrats! :mrgreen:
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I was looking for more info on it and found these. Need any?
http://www.lodgewood.com/Gallagher-Bras ... p_511.html
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have no doubt a Erma made Maynard would of been a quality piece if the Gallagher is an example of their work.I do have some brass cases for it but I m planning on buying more
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

barbarossa wrote:I have no doubt a Erma made Maynard would of been a quality piece if the Gallagher is an example of their work.I do have some brass cases for it but I m planning on buying more
I will say one can buy a usable original for the cost of a Romano Maynard .

I remmember when Erma first brought the Gallagher out in the 70's or I think thats when they first hit the market . I liked them then based on the pictures I saw and I'm sure I would in hand as well .

When I was in the ASSRA a guy not to far from me wrote an article on Maynards originals and the Romano guns . If memory serves he had at his disposal a rather nice original Maynard 4 or 5 barrel set . Of which one barrel could loosely be considered a schuetzen type deal . Always thought a Maynard in the schuetzen variation would be nice to have . Which was the original reason of me going to see Romano in Winchester a few years back .
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I would love to have a Romano Maynard but will have to wait until one day I can come up with the funds
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

barbarossa wrote:I would love to have a Romano Maynard but will have to wait until one day I can come up with the funds
When you take into account I would want a schuetzen variation of a Maynard it then brings CPA into the game . For what the Romano would cost one could get a very very nice engraved CPA in full Pope schuetzen regalia .
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Guns and Ammo magazine had an article about these a few months ago.
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Ironsights wrote:At first blush I thought you were talking about a special carbine designed to blow up watermelons a'la "The Incredible Sledge-O-Matic"...
Me too... :oops: :lol: appears nobody else made that same association. Where's their sense of humor? :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Really eager to hear how she shoots. I remember reading about these in Guns Illustrated and Gun Digest 40 years ago. I have been fortunate to own and shoot an original Merrill and two original Second Model Maynards. I had a Smith repro briefly, but really hated the rubber cartridges as they developed horrible feeding and extraction issues once fired a few times. Also owned a Burnside but it was not operable.