Stupid!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Stupid!

Post by williamranks »

Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Stupid!

Post by crs »

Unfortunate and entirely avoidable!
Common sense is in short supply these days.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was in the Army 72-92. Not sure about these days but I found the military to be very concerned about heat injuries. As an NCO I could monitor and order hydration.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When I as still in Arizona I never let the heat deter me from going out in the desert. And I guess I did something right cos I didn't keel over dead.

I ALWAYS took way more water than you'd think you needed. If I thought I'd need a gallon, I took 5. If I thought I'd need 5 gallons I'd take 10. Never ran out of water.

I also learned that ammo did weird things when it got over a 110° +, so I put that in an old ice chest.

People in Arizona have been dropping dead out in the desert and mountains from the heat for as long as I can remember. Nothing new about that, always in the news.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

crs wrote:Unfortunate and entirely avoidable!

Yup, +1
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I ALWAYS took way more water than you'd think you needed. If I thought I'd need a gallon, I took 5. If I thought I'd need 5 gallons I'd take 10. Never ran out of water.
My thinkin' zakly...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

crs wrote:Unfortunate and entirely avoidable!
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:I was in the Army 72-92. Not sure about these days but I found the military to be very concerned about heat injuries. As an NCO I could monitor and order hydration.
From what my boys told me the Corps had mandatory hydration events while in the sandbox. They knew from our desert trips that if you start to feel thirsty you are behind the curve.

As to those that died, it's sad for their families and friends. But, natural selection still exists. Stupid will get you killed faster than any other cause.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

This is why my crew has camelbacks and I make sure they have ice at the shop. Stay hydrated. Stay safe.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Just like driving into flooded washes when it rains.

I remember a field trip down to the Pinacate volcanic field in Mexico when I was in college. Had done some field work during the summers, and grew up with a dad who did the same, so I carried a couple gallons for all day (in the winter).

Still ran out because I gave at least half of it to kids who brought a 12 oz water bottle for an all day hike.

Rule I always followed is if you don't need to go, you aren't drinking enough.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Always take more of everything than you need. There's always someone out there who
needs it. I'll teach them the first time, second time is on them!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

gatorade, cut 50% with water is also super helpful.

and treatment is exactly like first aid for hypothermia, only use cold stuff in the arm pits, groin, knee pits, etc, for overheated people, instead of hot potatos. this really works. we treated lots of heat victims in Mx this way. I carry cold gizmos, make for very cold package for spot applicatons, like heat trauma and sprains. forget what it's called. someone here will have that one avail.

thanks
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I can't help but think of folks who think nothing of driving across a large desert w/o any water in their vehicle, like they think a vehicle won't break down in the middle of nowhere.

They must assume that somebody will always be available to help them out of the jam they got themselves into....................

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I can't help but think of folks who think nothing of driving across a large desert w/o any water in their vehicle, like they think a vehicle won't break down in the middle of nowhere.

They must assume that somebody will always be available to help them out of the jam they got themselves into....................

there's another trick that might save someone's life. IF my car breaks down in the desert and I am in the hot cauldron weather, I can dig a hole UNDER the vehicle as deep as I can and shelter in it. the car will lower the heat impact by about 20 degrees; a life-extender. and I can use a CD as a mirror to flash airliners. this will bring help if my aim is right. lots and lots of folks die unnecessarily in the desert for lack of water and lack of knowledge.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Between the oilfields in California's central valley, and now trips to Fort Irwin near Barstow Ca., I'm spending quite a bit of my work time in the desert. I've always liked to play in the desert, and was stationed in California's high desert for a couple of years.

I suppose though that my respect for the desert when by dry and wet, came from the lessons my dad taught me on our trips into the desert. These were reinforced years later by reading the stories from Granvile King and Superdog.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad