Tactical rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Tactical rifles

Post by Marlin32 »

With recent events, and the looming possibility of Hillary in the whitehouse, thinking about a tactical rifle.
Never had much use or interest, but maybe its time before its too late. Or prices and availability go through the roof.
Any opinions? Lot of them out there, and I know very little.
Thinking on a Colt or maybe the Springfield M1 in 308, but is the Ruger adequate? DPMS? Armalite? Ruger mini 14?
Don't plan on using it much unless bad times.

Welcome opinions/reviews/recommendations.

Maybe my Marlin 1894 in 357 is good enough?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Tactical rifles

Post by Blaine »

I'm the odd man out, but I believe I'll let my Ruger GS Scout (308) suffice. Plus an 870 Tactical, a couple 45 acp..and any of another couple dozen or so that stay loaded in or out of the safe.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Granted, in the midst of some unlikely 'firefight', a detachable-magazine semi auto is the weapon of choice, but in the long run, any functioning firearm and 20,000 rounds of ammo beats the heck out of a 308 or 223 battle rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammo.....

That's why even though I like pretty much all guns, including EBR's and leverguns, I would consider a 22 LR as the core for bad times...It's the only firearm I could even come close to having that much ammo for (I'm at almost 5,000 rounds though... :twisted: )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Granted, in the midst of some unlikely 'firefight', a detachable-magazine semi auto is the weapon of choice, but in the long run, any functioning firearm and 20,000 rounds of ammo beats the heck out of a 308 or 223 battle rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammo.....
A good buddy that understands "stuff" is even more important.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your thinking about it now? Have you not learned anything since September 11, 2001?-----6 :cry:

If things get real bad and you have to shoot through heavy stuff, this baby is unstoppable, shoots the grand old '06, has match accuracy, but at 22 pounds, is a bit heavy.

Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Palmetto State Armory has good deals on parts and you can get a rifle kit shipped to your door less a stripped lower. I never had much interest in one either but did get a rifle kit from PSA for $350 and then went to the local ffl and bought a Spikes stripped lower receiver. It took less than an hour to put together and I haven't had any problems with it yet. It's not a fancy rifle and it has the case hardened barrel, nitride I think they called it. They just had there PTAC rifle kit what ever that stands for and it was on sale at $350. A Colt will hold its value and there are the top of the line from two other companies and I can't think of eithers name. They go for $1500 and up but they are like the Ed Browns and Wilson Combats of the AR world.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Since the insanity of a couple years ago I got a few ARs from PSA I am happy with them but as with any AR platform, you need to run them before you need them. I do not trust any firearm until it has several hundred rounds trouble free through it. My last from PSA I bought a complete lower assembly with magpul furniture for 159 with free shipping but had to give LGS $20 for transfer, waited an few weeks for a stainless barreled upper also with magpul furniture for $209 and a bolt carrier for $89. They have a daily deal email that you can sign up for that has really good deals. I then upgrade what I want. Just my 2cents. I got my 458 socom upper the other week and got to shoot it this past weekend....Me likey.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

hondo1892 wrote:. A Colt will hold its value and there are the top of the line from two other companies and I can't think of eithers name. They go for $1500 and up but they are like the Ed Browns and Wilson Combats of the AR world.
LaRue -- Noveske

then Colt

After years of tinkering around with the AR's on a hobby level, I now have a box stock Colt 6920, A Vietnam era Colt 604 M-16 upper on a generic lower w/ DPMS parts kit, --- and that's it ----plus plenty of mags -- i'm flush

Colt still makes good kit if you just want something to stuff in the corner of the bedroom and not have to worry about -- spend the extra $200
----- Doug
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

If you want .308 in an AR pattern the DPMS pattern is by far the one with the biggest parts supply chain. It also uses the SR25 (original AR10) military pattern (I understand Armalite is now making lowers in this pattern) magazines. The AR pattern is also the easiest to scope. However the pattern with the largest supply chain of parts and ammo in the world is an AR15 in .223/5.56. If you can only have one, I would suggest an A2 20" rifle with fixed carry handle and pinned on front sight in the lightweight barrel in 1/7 twist. There are arguments for a carbine, I think I can argue the rifle is better for a lot of reasons. The big problem is AR15 and AR10 guns and parts have basically vanished since the pres said we need an AWB so if you know where one is and can afford it, buy it. The future is too uncertain at this point.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My dad was in the WV National Guard prior to WWII. While he was there he shot a 1903a3. When Gen. Patton said that the M1 Garand was the greatest battle implement known to man my dad disagreed. He always thought the old 03a3 was a better rifle. I've had both and I have to agree with dear old dad.
While the M1 is able to deliver a higher rate of fire I see the point of the military minds that wanted to keep the 1903 instead of switching to the Garand in the 1930's. I do seem to make my shots a bit more deliberate with the 03a3.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gen'l Patton was right. "battle rifle"... not range rifle, not sniper rifle...

But the AR is a whole lot easier to hump to the battle! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Only SEALS and SWAT knobs and the like use 'tactical' anything.

Unless you're a Survivalist, you're looking for a Modern Sporting Rifle.

Anything in .308 is better than anything in .223/5.56mm, but little-bitty lightweight AR-15 type rifles sure do have some options.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I recently "aquired" an AK 74 and have been doing a lot of reading on the AK system in the last few weeks. One option, and it seems to be a good one is an American made AK 47. Not as accurate as my Garand, but most can hold 4" at 50 yards easily, and while I've never been in a battle, that seems to be sufficient. My '74 is pretty easy to carry and lots of ammo (5.45x39) is available cheap, and I have been able to keep 3" groups at 50 yds, and 30 rounds per magazine is a lot. I went through 5 magazines a few days ago and I learned a lot. It will go into my "just incase" stash along with 1,200 rounds...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

If you are looking for a best value candidate to get into a tactical rifle, I strongly recommend the Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport II.
Unless you have a reason to need a .308 in a tactical rifle, 5.56/ .223 rifles are less expensive to buy, cheaper to feed, lighter to carry, and have more ammo available. A Sport II can be had at retail for under $700, sometimes closer to $600 although I doubt there will be lots of discounts on black rifles in the future.

I've build my own AR's but several friends who wanted to buy a basic AR have bought Sports and are very happy with them.

I've been known to have a tricked out AR on the bench at the range next to the lever guns.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

JRD wrote:If you are looking for a best value candidate to get into a tactical rifle, I strongly recommend the Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport II.
That's the one I bought a couple months ago (just 'cause, you know!) and discovered that it is kinda' fun to shoot and pretty dang cheap, especially for a reloader (progressive press makes it nice). It has 6 to 700 of my reloads through it using mixed range-pickup brass with nary a hickup. I wish some of my levers had that adjustable stock-- sure makes it easy to fit up the younger grandkids.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't pay attention to stories, I shoot. The AR's are all Colt
with an combined log of 7k. I have to think real hard for any stoppages. I never shot no people but clay birds at 500 meters are easy targets with the gun smokin hot.

Likewise for the NM Garand and the M1-A. but.......in my small minded view, the Russian SKS and the Isreali Uzi are ideal for the regular guy who wants dependability and controllability. The only hangup with the SKS are the PITA mag changes. The AK will settle that.----6

My sons class 3 stuff. Names too fancy for me to remember

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

I went with a Tegra Arms lower and a Bushmaster 16" A4 upper in 5.56/.223. It cost me around $550 and works fine for my needs.

I recommend getting around 10 magazines (Your choice on size. I went with 30 rounders.) and some ammo. You can get decent prices from GunBot.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/556/
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

FWiedner wrote:Only SEALS and SWAT knobs and the like use 'tactical' anything.

Anything in .308 is better than anything in .223/5.56mm, but little-bitty lightweight AR-15 type rifles sure do have some options.

Meh. Anything standing upright on two legs is going to have a tough time surviving a hollowpoint of 62gr or better. Admittedly you get superior barrier pen, but don't discount the little .223 pill.

On a side note, i think mini14s are still california legal, worst case.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My favorite tactile rifle... makes me feel good whenever I shoot it! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Must be photoshop....Can't varmint shoot w/o full camouflage. ... :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

But seriously, obamas last attempt was what got me looking into EBRs as well. I'd like to say its came along fairly nicely. Shop around and you can build the rifle itself for under $500. Granted, accessories are where the money sink is, but youd be surprised at the pricing if youre willing to shop around.

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

There are other considerations brother. This is one. Progress happens, doctrine evolves.

http://youtu.be/oMYkEMhPsO8
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm still drooling over those 1950s issues of Gun Digest that Six has on the shelf beside the BAR ...

:lol:
rwt
Levergunner

Post by rwt »

I went with a Mini-14. Picked up a tactical model to get the shorter and stiffer barrel. Put a wooden stock on it and a 3 MOA reflex sight-Trying to decide if I's prefer a 2 MOA sight. It will do all that I want it to do and isn't as finicky about ammo or being cleaned as some are. There are way fewer options available for it and it is less accurate that others, but all-in-all a highly useful and reliable package.

And, it usually stays off banned lists-especially the Ranch model that doesn't have a threaded barrel and a flash suppressor. I took off the flash suppressor and put on a thread protector. Saves an inch in length and I don't think they are all that beneficial in a .223 caliber rifle.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

sore shoulder wrote:

There are other considerations brother. This is one. Progress happens, doctrine evolves.

There was a recall on AR500 armor. The company, and their example of that specific type. Don't know if the plate in the video was part of it. I don't know much about armor brands but from the comments, it sounds like that brand may not be at the top of the list for quality.

Interesting comments in post 6.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... mor-recall

It was somewhat surprising that the 55 gr ammo went through some types that the 855 doesn't, and vice versa. Many seem to think 855 is armor piercing, but it isn't, and wasn't really intended to be. Theres a specific true AP 556 round, 995 I think.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I just sold my beloved M14 and spent the money on a bolt action. :oops:

If you're not a sniper, it's not a sniper rifle.
Slow is just slow.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:

There was a recall on AR500 armor. The company, and their example of that specific type. Don't know if the plate in the video was part of it. I don't know much about armor brands but from the comments, it sounds like that brand may not be at the top of the list for quality.

Interesting comments in post 6.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... mor-recall

It was somewhat surprising that the 55 gr ammo went through some types that the 855 doesn't, and vice versa. Many seem to think 855 is armor piercing, but it isn't, and wasn't really intended to be. Theres a specific true AP 556 round, 995 I think.
I found post 10 much more interesting.
11B30
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Yeah, using AR500 armor is more of a mental comfort thing on par with standing in a formation full of guys with muskets praying they hit everyone else.

I wear armor daily, wore rifle plates daily (ESAPI) and am saving up for my own since the current job authorizes them but doesn't supply them......and AR500 is specifically, by name, banned.

www.bulletproofme.com can set you up with some SAPI or similar plates, ie quality ones, for under $250 per plate.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I bought in just before CB94 ... that was the big scare back then with Mr. Clinton. I still haven't shot all of that ammo up from the 90's. I have plenty to cover Mrs. Clinton's tenure if it comes to that. Plus, I have a few primers lying about from the Anvil days.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Old Ironsights wrote:Image
My I quote this elsewhere?

Dave B
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Dave B wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Image
My I quote this elsewhere?

Dave B
Open source. I got it from elsewhere myself.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

2 AR's - one built for the CMP service rifle matches, and the other is topped with a heavy barrel, glass, and a bipod for plinking steel plates at the local ranges and the occasional varmint. Both are built on JD Machine Tool lowers with Rock River parts.

#3 AR is getting built up to be a 6.8 SPC hunting carbine. 18" barrel and a 1-4x optic. Lower is done. Need to start on the upper here soon.

Add the M1A and the M1 to the mix and I'm good for now.

Still have a few cases of milsurp 7.62 NATO in the stash along with plenty of 5.56. Some of that stuff is from the 90's right before the AWB was passed and is still in the original shipping crates from the UK and Australia.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Granted, in the midst of some unlikely 'firefight', a detachable-magazine semi auto is the weapon of choice, but in the long run, any functioning firearm and 20,000 rounds of ammo beats the heck out of a 308 or 223 battle rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammo.....
A couple guys with semi autos and way less than 2K ammo who know what they are doing will take that static position with 20k rounds. A defensive position under siege is always a losing position of you don't have outside reinforcements.
11B30
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sorry for being late to the game but after reading this thread I had to modernize and whump up a black rifle tactical of some sort!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gotta love a SMLE.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Get a Colt 5.56mm. It's made under the Tech Data Package, has a good rep, is used by folks who carry them for a living. Or the FN, they make them for Uncle Sam too.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I think it's entirely up to what distance your shooting, at close range I'd much prefer a full-auto 22, or do they call that a shotgun? ;)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
A couple guys with semi autos and way less than 2K ammo who know what they are doing will take that static position with 20k rounds. A defensive position under siege is always a losing position of you don't have outside reinforcements.
True.

I figure even better, is have 'both' - your favorite semi-auto AND a bunch of ammo...! Even if it is a 22 LR, if you have a big-bore along with it, you do have some potential 'deterrence'... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "