That Henry Gold/Brass Finish

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

That Henry Gold/Brass Finish

Post by Blaine »

Do you have one, or have first hand knowledge if that gold finish is durable? I'm thinking this one I was just given might be too delicate to drag around in the woods, or, throw in the back seat of the truck? My friend that passed it on to me is very, very careful with his guns. He doesn't hunt, and they are always gently cradled in well padded cases, and I wouldn't want to feel bad if I got it scratched up. I'm not careful with stuff. They get used, and accumulate battle scars, and character marks. :lol: (I still want a black metal, 16 1/2" Henry .357...Maybe I should wait for that one before I start using a .357 truck gun)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: That Henry Gold/Brass Finish

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, Blaine, the Henry GB finish is a proprietary plating process, and should be OK if sharp metal edges (like screwdriver tips) are kept clear of it.

I bought a GB .22LR, back when they were first introduced, and hunted it for one Fall/season w/o any issues with the plating - but sold it because it was made with a very roughly finished front face of the receiver (machining gouges under the plating) that I thought too ugly to live with, and also because there was a rather large (IMO) step down transition to the barrel.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:.

AFAIK, Blaine, the Henry GB finish is a proprietary plating process, and should be OK if sharp metal edges (like screwdriver tips) are kept clear of it.

I bought a GB .22LR, back when they were first introduced, and hunted it for one Fall/season w/o any issues with the plating - but sold it because it was made with a very roughly finished front face of the receiver (machining gouges under the plating) that I though too ugly to live with, and also because there was a rather large (IMO) step down transition to the barrel.

They have truly come way up from then. JM never made one better than this one I have now....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The rimfire Golden Boy rifle receivers are brass plated Zamac (Zinc alloy) but I believe the centerfire Big Boy rifle receivers are made from solid brass alloy so no plating to wear through. You could engrave it with no fear.

From Google Fu-ing: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... 44-magnum/
"The Big Boy’s receiver is machined from a solid lump of a proprietary brass alloy. Henry claims it has the same tensile and yield strength as steel. Despite some speculation in the gun forums (fora?) about the strength and durability of the non-steel receiver, my search for “Big Boy Frame Failure” didn’t turn up a single complaint."
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

What do you mean durable? My Big Boy, I picked up cheap, as it had a couple small scuffs on it from falling off a quad. I intentionally tarnished it, and rubbed some BLO on the stock, and just about ever little mark disappeared.

The only complaint with the receivers that I have heard, is that they are unsuitable for mounting a scope as eventually the tapped holes elongate.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Durable? They will tarnish as the clear coat finish comes off them. They can be polished and clear coated again if desired. I personally have no desire for this type of finish for that reason. I shoot my guns too much and it's handling them that causes this to happen. Shoot them a lot and it'll show. Don't shoot them a lot and they'll stay nice looking. A few years ago the local Gander Mountain got a batch in that were all tarnished and sent them back. I guess if I just wanted a shooter and wasn't as particular about cosmetics I'd just overlook it. Up to you.