Any Ruger American .223 owners out there?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Any Ruger American .223 owners out there?

Post by centershot »

I haven't had a .223 since I stopped shooting in high power rifle competition a couple years ago, so I picked up a Ruger American last fall. Using Federal's Fusion 62 gr. load I killed a couple of deer with it last season (That load kills deer as well as anything I have ever used in the past!), even thogh it did not group very well in this gun, 1-1/2 to 2" @100 yds. Yes, that is certainly "angle-of-deer", but not what I was hoping for.

Handloading for this gun has not improved grouping. Using IMR-4320, BLC-2 and Varget powders with bullets ranging from 60 to 75 grains the best I found was 1-1/4" groups with 69 gr. match bullets. It has a 1:8 twist so it should handle anything up to 80 gr. with no problem. It is not a heavy barrel, just a sporter weight. Performance with Hornady 75gr. HPBT Match bullets is also 1-1/4" groups, and these bullets will expand unlike the Sierra Matchkings. I may have to settle for that load, but it bugs me that I can't get it under an inch. This rifle is retired from big game hunting and is now my varmint gun. Extrapolating, I'm looking at 4" groups at 300 yards, iffy on a woodchuck at that range IMO. I'm using a 4-12 Redfield scope on it, I'm sure I have enough glass, still, that 1" group eludes me. Anyone else running one of these rigs?
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Any Ruger American .223 owners out there?

Post by wecsoger »

t is not a heavy barrel, just a sporter weight
Check the barrel mounting and torque and reseat it?

How about the old business card-as-shim-stock right under the end of the forearm? (may need one piece, maybe a couple to get the right amount of upward pressure on the barrel)

Barrel crown?

Solid scope mounting?

I would suspect that rifle would do better and I'd try the above, in that order.

Report back, with pictures, pls.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

I did check the crown with magnification, I can't detect any flaw there. The barrel is free-floated from the factory; I had forgotten about the "business-card-trick", I'll give that a try! The scope mounts and rings are solid, checked and double-checked, that was the first thing I thought about. The barrel mounting-hmmmmm.........It is similar to the Savage rifles with a lock ring against the face of the receiver. But, it's a SMOOTH lock ring-no grooves in it. That'll be a gunsmith job.
J. R. R. Tolkien
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Get some JBweld and bed the action. Does it already have pillers for the action screws?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Trust Ruger to use the Savage style mounting, it's cheaper and when done right, very consistent and accurate.

Fact you tried different ammo and didn't get a big bump in accuracy points back to rifle or scope.

Have you tried shooting the scope at both lowest and highest power?

Also, if it's on zero, back off say 12 clicks, then 12 back in, just to make sure it's not wobbling about where it's currently set. Try doing that for just windage, shoot, check, then do elevation, repeat.

I wouldn't try any bedding or major work of that type just yet. I would check receiver bolt torque up to the point of pulling it all apart, cleaning, remounting, etc.

Even though allegedly free-floated, I would first check that.

Do the card trick, different amounts to get different upwards pressure while monitoring change to point of impact and consistency.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

JReed wrote:Get some JBweld and bed the action. Does it already have pillers for the action screws?
Yes, it is pillar bedded from the factory, same as Savage. And HEY! Congrats on your retirement from the Corps, Sgt. Reed! Thank You for your service!
J. R. R. Tolkien
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

wecsoger wrote: I would check receiver bolt torque up to the point of pulling it all apart, cleaning, remounting, etc.
I don't know the procedure on the American models, but theres a specific order to torque the action screws and amount on the 77's, just going at it tight isn't right. Most torque the middle screw way too much and it can affect accuracy. The guys that tinker with them say just tight enough not to fall out, and stop. Some guns may not care, some obviously do. Just saying, there may be a simple trick of that sort that applies to the American.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

Thanks for that tip Malmute, I'll get into the gun when I get home from work tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the range on Tuesday morning.
J. R. R. Tolkien
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

OK, Checked all the scope screws AGAIN, they're all tight. Pulled the stock off, the only thing unusual was oil on the bedding blocks. I had the stock off once before, last September when I painted it, and I don't remember oiling those V-blocks. Hmmmm........(No, I didn't paint over the bedding blocks, taped over them to be sure) So, reassembled after wiping the oil off, I'll head to the range on Tuesday. One thing though, cartridges loaded to maximum magazine length are 2.265" OAL. That gives a jump of .075" to the lands.Just for giggles I'm gonna' load 10 rounds to give a jump of .020" and see what happens. As a 'chuck rifle I could live with a single shot if it's accurate.
J. R. R. Tolkien
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

Well, I was finally able to get back to the range today! And, the conclusion is............this gun is junk! There just ain't no-way, no-how this piece is ever gonna' be anything more than a 2 MOA shooter - PERIOD. Not without a re-build anyway, maybe it's next owner will appreciate it more than I do. I'm very disappointed with this, everything I'd read and heard indicated that the American was a good shooter. Mine must have been a Monday-morning special, Oh well!
J. R. R. Tolkien
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Have you thought about calling Ruger? They might offer some suggestions.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If you can get a Bore scope, check out the bore. Also you might lap the bore.
my Friend had a Savage that was a poor grouper. After much aggravation he found out the barrel had a slight bulge in the rifling, mid way in the barrel. He sent it back to Savage and they installed a new barrel on the piece. Solved the issue, now it is a MOA piece.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

I bought a RA in .308 after I felt how great the ergonomics were. Loved the pistol grip in particular. Great feel.

Couldn't achieve better than 2 moa with it. Period. Ammo, torque, barrel condition, bench technique changes... 2 moa... Period.

I hunt mostly VA muzzleloader season, and my CVA Accura MR prints WAY better groups than that, so I had no need for a beater, minute-of-deer rifle unless it was interesting. Only accurate rifles are interesting.

I own it no longer.

mos
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

Yeah, I feel your pain, mos. I could pull the barrel, cut it off and rechamber, then seat it so the jump is .015-.020". BUT, there's no guarantee this barrel is ever gonna' be capable of better than 2 MOA. So if I do all that, I may as well re-barrel with a quality barrel. There's an easy $400, that's more than the gun cost in the first place. Should'a bought a Savage........oh well, time to trade.
J. R. R. Tolkien
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

centershot wrote:
JReed wrote:Get some JBweld and bed the action. Does it already have pillers for the action screws?
Yes, it is pillar bedded from the factory, same as Savage. And HEY! Congrats on your retirement from the Corps, Sgt. Reed! Thank You for your service!
Thank You. One thing that will help a savage is to properly torque the action screws. For example on my Savage I set min to 30 inch lbs on the front and 35 inch lbs on the rear.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might try some lighter bullets too.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.