Cutting Edge 375 handgun bullet in 375win?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Cutting Edge 375 handgun bullet in 375win?

Post by Walker »

I was fishing around for non-lead 375 bullets for my 94BB and came across Cutting Edge's .375 200gr HP handgun bullet.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/ ... HP_375_200.
Bullet Diameter : .375"
Bullet Weight : 200 grains
Retained Weight : 150 grains
Bullet Length : 1.058"
Projection Length : .480"

Just guessing that this was designed for the 375 jdj, would this work for the 375win?

I know the hollow point might be not large enough to safely load multiple rounds in the mag, but you could use it as a 2 shot like the 235gr speer loads. I've got factory ammo and reloaded 235gr speer to last my lifetime, just planning in case I don't get out of Cali anytime soon.

Terry
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Cutting Edge 375 handgun bullet in 375win?

Post by Thunder50 »

Looks like that would work well in the 375Win
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just an opinion, but they might be a little undersized....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Looks like the OAL would be 2.5" instead of the 2.560" specified on loaddata. How else would it be undersized? Does being non-lead make the difference between it and jacketed bullets that were available for hand loading?

Also, does anyone have a reference on how much of the bullet is seated in the case for the hornady 220gr, sierra 200gr, or speer 235g bullets? If I'm reading this right, the .480" projection length would leave .578" in the case.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I know, I reject modern technology but at the speeds the 375 shoots, there ain't a gas checked cast bullet out there that can't do the job.......at 1/10 th the price.

On another note, Blaine is correct. I never did have much luck on .375 diameter bullets in the 375 Win.....but....that was only one rifle I tested and it was Marlin micro grooved. That rifle loved .379 cast but I can't test that gun out anymore. Eric....Yooper2....stole it from me...Any jacketed bullet made for the 375 H&H is going to be too thick jacketed for hunting but once again, I'm no expert on jacketed bullets..having little experience with them. These Raptor thingys may be the cats meow.

I'm sure they will "shoot" and you can make them work. It's just a matter of finding the correct seating depth and adjusting the powder charge to match. A Lee FCD will give you about any seating depth you want.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Walker wrote:Looks like the OAL would be 2.5" instead of the 2.560" specified on loaddata. How else would it be undersized? Does being non-lead make the difference between it and jacketed bullets that were available for hand loading?

Also, does anyone have a reference on how much of the bullet is seated in the case for the hornady 220gr, sierra 200gr, or speer 235g bullets? If I'm reading this right, the .480" projection length would leave .578" in the case.
Blaine was talking about diameter I believe.
Six, he maybe hunting in a lead free zone (coming to all of us if the huggers have their way)
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Harry,
I hear ya...on the lead free bs.......I'm too "old school" to be of much legality on that issue.

Some things are better dead.....and in my case, I prefer lead. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Yeah, this is in case I'm still here in 2019 when all of California has to go non lead, even on your own private land! I've got a couple of boxes of Barnes X for my model 71, have something that should work from cutting edge for my 33wcf, and have my old commercial mauser covered. If these idiots pass their ammo bill I wanted to have my obsolete calibers covered because it will stop mail ordered components too.

I HATE these elitist morons and the sheep that are following them.

I was hoping that since the hornady and sierra flat nose bullets were sized .375 and had seemed to work well that these might too.

Blaine, think you're right about these bullets not bumping to engage the rifling. Well, as long as we can still draw tags for the Mojave Preserve I've got a few more years to work it out.

Thanks guys,

Terry