Short range report - literally - Russian and S&W Special 44

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Short range report - literally - Russian and S&W Special 44

Post by Walker »

Got my new progressive glasses and headed to the local indoor range with 44spl Black Hills 210gr and Winchester 246gr. This was just at 7 yards with a 6 o'clock hold, top of the front sight even with the top of the v-notch... 5 rounds of 210gr and 15 rounds of 246gr fired.
ea4b6eca-9dd1-40be-9dd0-b97f23628c1a.JPG
The 210gr were mostly shooting a bit lower than the 246gr before the guy next to me started rapid firing his 223. Then the groups opened up a bit. Winchester 246gr would probably have gone into a pretty nice group; I'll try again outdoors. Disclaimer, I tend to hit to the left with all of my handguns about that much.

Now I've just got to find a load that will get it a little closer to POA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Short range report - literally - Russian and S&W Special

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice! 8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Tidy.
Do you have small hands?
If so it may be the trigger finger pushing the gun left. Just a thought.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I never used to think so, wear a size large glove. I even shifted my grip so the trigger would rest in the crease of the 1st joint, but it didn't seem to make a difference. We never had much use for handguns growing up, so I'm relatively late in learning trigger control and how the grip can affect point of impact.

I probably need to spend some time with a good hand with a sixgun. The Navy certainly didn't provide any pistol instruction.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Dryfiring is a great tool to diagnose and cure trigger control problems if you suspect that might be a problem. Pick a small target, precisely align the sights, then concentrate on the front sight as the shot breaks, observing in which direction, if any, it moves. Adjust your grip and trigger finger position until all movement is eliminated, and then continue dryfire practice until your modified grip becomes instinctive.

Just one good session of this can give you some valuable insights, and the next time at the range you will see the difference. This works virtually 100% of the time for folks who, for instance, are first-timers with DA-only semiautos and find all their shots grouping well but low and left. Some folks will see your group and automatically decide that the barrel of your gun needs to be slightly "clocked". This may reposition your groups, but it is often addressing what is a shooter problem by tweaking the gun unnecessarily, "fixing" a "problem" that doesn't really exist.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pisgah wrote:Dryfiring is a great tool to diagnose and cure trigger control problems if you suspect that might be a problem. Pick a small target, precisely align the sights, then concentrate on the front sight as the shot breaks, observing in which direction, if any, it moves. Adjust your grip and trigger finger position until all movement is eliminated, and then continue dryfire practice until your modified grip becomes instinctive.

Just one good session of this can give you some valuable insights, and the next time at the range you will see the difference. This works virtually 100% of the time for folks who, for instance, are first-timers with DA-only semiautos and find all their shots grouping well but low and left. Some folks will see your group and automatically decide that the barrel of your gun needs to be slightly "clocked". This may reposition your groups, but it is often addressing what is a shooter problem by tweaking the gun unnecessarily, "fixing" a "problem" that doesn't really exist.

Well said-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nice Colt, made me drool. That is my Holy Grail. I just got to get me one before I take the big dirt nap.

As for pushing left, I do that too. It's trigger finger placement for the most part in my case.

But the grip size and balance of the gun contributes to the problem as well.
Rugers with the XR3-RED grip frames are badly out of balance to me due to the extra distance between the grip and the trigger. I always pull them to the left. So all my OM Rugers are converted to the original XR3 grip frame.

There I go, rambling again.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice Colt!! never have shot indoors but for me it seems to be light, a revolver that shoots good in
the morning is not so good in the after noon, fixed or adj. sights & believe me I've tried everything
to fix it at 61 im guessing that's the problem

Brad