Wrangler - Advice needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redgum
Levergunner

Wrangler - Advice needed

Post by redgum »

Hello, It's been a long time since I posted here, but I'm looking for a bit of knowledge here.....
I've been offered a 30/30 Wrangler, and to be honest, something doesn't seem right about it.
I have seen the roll marked scenes on the 32 specials but not so many on the 30/30's.
Also the sights both look odd and besides missing the saddle ring, it appears to be drilled behind the rear sight too.
Even the buttplate (I thought it should read "Winchester Repeating Arms"

Any help or advice would be helpful.

PS: The Outrageous asking price is $850 (Australian), or a swap for an as new Glock 17 gen 3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick C.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Wrangler - Advice needed

Post by Griff »

BECAUSE, that's one of the commemoratives issued by Winchester during the post '64 era. I'm not familiar w/all of 'em, but generally the letters in the serial number and the left side of the barrel give the best clues.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Peter Richards here on this forum may be the best qualified to give you a value for it in AU. Here in the states they don't often bring a premium except for the John Wayne or the few State commemoratives that had a limited issue like the Wyoming or OK ones. See http://www.commemorativecollectors.com/ for partial listing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BTW, I LIKE that one. The sights were often like the early mdl 94 carbine sights.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IF the 1st SN digit is a "5", that Model 94 Wrangler Big Loop was made in 1982, prior to the introduction of the Model 94AE.

The extra/aftermarket, cratered hole behind the rear sight would be a big deduction, as would the mostly-gone blue-looking receiver finish - which all adds up to "shooter" value.

The saddle ring is readily available (in the USA), or a special saddle ring plug screw can be installed in it's stead.

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If you are looking for a Win 30-30, you can find good shooters on usedguns for about $700 -$750. If you want something a bit different to everyone else and willing to pay a few extra bucks for it then $850 is probably not a bad price if the gun is in good nick. There are some fancy Win 30-30s on usedguns with some real fancy prices on them as well.
You could snap up a "liberty" model for $29,995, if the "wrangler" isn't good enough.
On the subject of the hole behind the rear sight, could that have been put in for a scout scope mount?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

How deep is the hole behind the sight.?
I hope it doesn't extend into the chamber...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Fri May 27, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Golly, I stand corrected. I didn't look at the picture of the barrel (right side), very closely. And didn't blow up the bottom shot of the receiver large enough to see the whole SN.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
redgum
Levergunner

Post by redgum »

Thanks for the knowledgeable replies guys, and yep this gun is definitely 'Shooter Grade' at best.
I had wondered if somebody has tried to attach some sort of mount in the past,
maybe using the saddle ring hole, and the added hole in the top of the barrel.

Not in a hurry to purchase as I have several other 30/30s both 20" (1972, 1979 & 1981) and also a couple of 16" Trappers (early 80's).
I regrettably sold a Top Eject 20" 44 Mag (1982 if memory is correct) for $450, but i think i'd like something a little bit different.
Maybe just not this one.......Not at that price anyway.

I do know of a couple of AE trapper length guns in 357mag & 44 mag but both have broken cartridge lifters, and they are not easy to source parts for here. (Common Problem?)
Rick C.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While I'd hesitate to buy that particular rifle too, I've bought/shot/hunted with a few different commemorative Winchester 94's - which provided me with a lot of satisfaction.

After all, where else can you obtain what amounts to a Deluxe Winchester 1894/94 with special features ("engraving", non-standard mag tube & barrel lengths, upgraded wood, etc), for 50% less what a NIB genie would ?

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

If you already have a couple of 30-30s why not try something else. 357 is cheap to reload for, especially if you cast your own bullets. Brass lasts forever, and a can of powder gets you hundreds of rounds.
My 200 meter silhouette rounds are pushing harder than most people push their cast 30-30 rounds.
I've got a Marlin 1894 cowboy in 357 and enjoy shooting that with loads from mild to wild. A 175 gr cast bullet going at 1750 fps knocks 200 meter rams over without any fuss, and a 38spl case with the same bullet and 4 gr of Trailboss almost makes the hammer fall louder than the shot. When I bought mine I was the only person in the club with one, since then 1/2 a dozen more have been added to the ranks, both Marlin carbines and Winchester 92s. An excellent caliber for pigs and goats in the scrub, and I've heard of a pro shooter who uses it to head shoot camels for the pet meat trade
I have heard plenty of people say that the 94 Win in 357 can be a real pita as far as feeding goes because they just aren't made for that size cartridge, but 44s and 45s apparently do well.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Griff wrote:Peter Richards here on this forum may be the best qualified to give you a value for it in AU. Here in the states they don't often bring a premium except for the John Wayne or the few State commemoratives that had a limited issue like the Wyoming or OK ones. See http://www.commemorativecollectors.com/ for partial listing.
I saw one of these Wanglers at the little gun shop in Macksville, NSW back around 1986 when I was 13 y/o & had just bought my first rifle, a Winchester 9422. I wanted it bad, but I was on $20 a day working as a farm hand on weekends & school holidays so it was sold on by the time I saved up for it. Here in Australia the more common commemoratives usually run between $800 & $1300, the top end if it is in new unfired condition & in the box. You are right Griff, the John Wayne always brings more which is understandable.
This wrangler has had a hard life, but would make a good shooter, $850 is probably a little high but not too bad, I would swap for a Glock any day.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I do know of a couple of AE trapper length guns in 357mag & 44 mag but both have broken cartridge lifters, and they are not easy to source parts for here. (Common Problem?)
YES